Monsur x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It’s just something in my mind of maybe choosing as an option for a level
Can anyone tell me how u’ve found it? During a level or if u’ve done GCSE sociology ...
I wanna know the basics as well coz I’ve never done this before
By it sounds quite boring to me...is it?
tfh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did both GCSE and A level Sociology. The subject isn't the most interesting but I did find aspects of the A level course okay. What stood out to me the most about the course is that the exam is basically regurgitating the textbook to some extent as there isn't a high emphasis on application of knowledge. I would recommend taking the subject if you don't know what else to take, but if you're not an essay kind of person or someone who wants to memorise pages and pages of information then you might want to take that into account when choosing this A level.
Monsur x
Rep:
?
(Original post by tfh)
I did both GCSE and A level Sociology. The subject isn't the most interesting but I did find aspects of the A level course okay. What stood out to me the most about the course is that the exam is basically regurgitating the textbook to some extent as there isn't a high emphasis on application of knowledge. I would recommend taking the subject if you don't know what else to take, but if you're not an essay kind of person or someone who wants to memorise pages and pages of information then you might want to take that into account when choosing this A level.
Hey thanks for ur response
I do love essay writing and memorising lots 😌
But wasn’t the subject boring?
Like what is life? ...
shnac99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did aqa a level sociology and I found it was pretty interesting at AS. (Maybe I was just excited for sixth form) wrongly chose 2 essay subjects and it was the bane of my life.
However, we did media at A2 and it was the dullest topic ever with little to no research.
It’s by no means a ‘bad’ subject and I would defo choose it again if I re-chose, but maybe check the topics your schools doing first
Monsur x
Rep:
?
(Original post by shnac99)
I did aqa a level sociology and I found it was pretty interesting at AS. (Maybe I was just excited for sixth form) wrongly chose 2 essay subjects and it was the bane of my life.
However, we did media at A2 and it was the dullest topic ever with little to no research.
It’s by no means a ‘bad’ subject and I would defo choose it again if I re-chose, but maybe check the topics your schools doing first
But wasn’t it boring to u
Aren’t there questions like what do u think of life or the meaning of family?
Lol soz but this is wat I’ve seen or heard bout sociology
shnac99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sannah 21)
But wasn’t it boring to u
Aren’t there questions like what do u think of life or the meaning of family?
Lol soz but this is wat I’ve seen or heard bout sociology
Ye there were questions similar to that in the families and households sections but mostly you can answer most questions by regurgitating the text books.
I found the crime and deviance topic interesting but ye its a lot of theory and it can get slightly boring over time.
Monsur x
Rep:
?
(Original post by shnac99)
Ye there were questions similar to that in the families and households sections but mostly you can answer most questions by regurgitating the text books.
I found the crime and deviance topic interesting but ye its a lot of theory and it can get slightly boring over time.
Yh....maybe it’ll be boring for me then
Coz I’m gonna do psychology at a level and that had theories as well and lots of remembering!
So...
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ITS SO EASY!
if you want an A/A* in any of your subjects, do sociology
you can be sh*t at essays at the start, but trust me you pick up skills really fast.
Monsur x
Rep:
?
(Original post by HumbleBee_x)
ITS SO EASY!
if you want an A/A* in any of your subjects, do sociology
you can be sh*t at essays at the start, but trust me you pick up skills really fast.
Really?! That’s sounds too good to be true
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is!
I recommend to anyone choosing their A-levels. Its a very chill subject, apart from learning dozens of sociologists and studies..But hey, its A-levels, no A-level subject is easy!
But from my experience I have no problem with it. My dad told me to do it because he thought I'd be good at it and plus its good for my future career. Plus, I don't find it boring at all, yes, its pretty self-explanatory, but if something is easy and your smashing all these 20/30 markers then why would it be boring?

Really?! That’s sounds too good to be true
Monsur x
Rep:
?
(Original post by HumbleBee_x)
It is!
I recommend to anyone choosing their A-levels. Its a very chill subject, apart from learning dozens of sociologists and studies..But hey, its A-levels, no A-level subject is easy!
But from my experience I have no problem with it. My dad told me to do it because he thought I'd be good at it and plus its good for my future career. Plus, I don't find it boring at all, yes, its pretty self-explanatory, but if something is easy and your smashing all these 20/30 markers then why would it be boring?
Thanks for ur enthusiastic response however Ive decided I’m not gonna choose sociology
tfh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey thanks for ur response
I do love essay writing and memorising lots 😌
But wasn’t the subject boring?
Like what is life? ...
That's great if you like essay writing and memorising! You should definitely look into it then because majority of the exam question will be 10/20/30 markers. I've never come across a essay question that asks anything like 'what is life' I think that's more of a philosophical question and Sociology doesn't really take that approach.

I found some of the units quite boring. My exam board was AQA so I had to do 4 units, I didn't really like the family unit and aspects of the beliefs unit but I did enjoy education and crime and deviance. I can tell you with any A level, you're gonna have aspects of the course that you love or hate.

If you're still unsure about whether to take it or not, you should probably talk to some Sociology teachers from your sixth form and maybe look through the textbook. Also if your school allows it, just take the subject and see how it goes for a week or two and then drop out and move to a different subject, my sixth form allowed us to have a two week trial period with our subjects where we were given the chance to drop a subject and pick up a new one if we had any problems.
Monsur x
Rep:
?
(Original post by tfh)
That's great if you like essay writing and memorising! You should definitely look into it then because majority of the exam question will be 10/20/30 markers. I've never come across a essay question that asks anything like 'what is life' I think that's more of a philosophical question and Sociology doesn't really take that approach.

I found some of the units quite boring. My exam board was AQA so I had to do 4 units, I didn't really like the family unit and aspects of the beliefs unit but I did enjoy education and crime and deviance. I can tell you with any A level, you're gonna have aspects of the course that you love or hate.

If you're still unsure about whether to take it or not, you should probably talk to some Sociology teachers from your sixth form and maybe look through the textbook. Also if your school allows it, just take the subject and see how it goes for a week or two and then drop out and move to a different subject, my sixth form allowed us to have a two week trial period with our subjects where we were given the chance to drop a subject and pick up a new one if we had any problems.
Thank u so much
sunnygirl28
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
do you have any advice for resources or websites that I could use to study for GCSE sociology?
SineadH0312
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I did sociology at both gcse and a level and I found that certain units were more interesting than others. So I personally found the family topic really interesting and this as well as the education topic relate to everyday life. However, the research methods topic bores me a little, although that is only a small topic.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Monsur x)
It’s just something in my mind of maybe choosing as an option for a level
Can anyone tell me how u’ve found it? During a level or if u’ve done GCSE sociology ...
I wanna know the basics as well coz I’ve never done this before
By it sounds quite boring to me...is it?
Hi!!

I personally did sociology at A level for the first time because I found it really interesting and a good broad subject. I absolutely loved it and now do it at university. I would say you do have to be interested to study it, it is not particularly difficult but it always helps to have an interest. I was always going to be studying history at university, but changed my mind once I did my a levels. I would recommend it as an a level to do, but if you think it will be boring then pick something you're more interested in! However, out of my a levels (history, English and sociology) it was by far the most interesting!

Sophie - Official Student rep
shreyabx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you have to learn lots of quotes for Sociology A Level?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shreyabx)
Do you have to learn lots of quotes for Sociology A Level?
No not at all really, just sociologists themselves and their specific theories and perspectives. For example feminism, functionalism, marxism, post-modernism etc. You will need to know what defines them and who puts forward specific theories, but no need to quote (this may have changed, but this was what I had to do at a level)

Sophie - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
16.75%
I'm not sure (5)
2.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (70)
35.53%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.52%
I'm not a current university student (86)
43.65%

Watched Threads