Ask Pearson your questions ahead of A level results day! Watch

mysticmagic2000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think there is no need to say “just stop”. I personally am willing to admit that I’m not the strongest mathematician and without further maths and the exposure I had, I wouldn’t have been able to complete those papers to the full extent. The questions were specifically designed to catch you out, for instance the running question or the hidden trapezium rule question, and essentially required a higher level of maths and confidence which in my opinion the only candidates that had this advantage were further maths. So I tell you to just stop. Just because you think and everything is easy etc doesn’t mean it will be accessible for everyone... bloody hell I hate entitled people
Okay123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mysticmagic2000)
I think there is no need to say “just stop”. I personally am willing to admit that I’m not the strongest mathematician and without further maths and the exposure I had, I wouldn’t have been able to complete those papers to the full extent. The questions were specifically designed to catch you out, for instance the running question or the hidden trapezium rule question, and essentially required a higher level of maths and confidence which in my opinion the only candidates that had this advantage were further maths. So I tell you to just stop. Just because you think and everything is easy etc doesn’t mean it will be accessible for everyone... bloody hell I hate entitled people
Not once did I say the paper was easy, i struggled with all 3 papers and agree with everyone they were bloody hard, Im all for people complaining that the papers were hard because they were, and that the papers were leaked because those are valid complaints. So yes there is a need to say just stop. I agree the hidden trapezium rule question was mean, I also got that wrong, but hey thats exams, these exams were ALWAYS going to be more problem solving and wordy because thats what the new spec wanted. Unique questions that forced candidates to THINK. In the old spec grade boundaries were scarily high for some modules because papers were the same every single year. This spec was specifically made to combat that and the trapezium rule question is a perfect example. Was it mean? Yes. Will it seperate the A* candidates from the A candidates. Yes. So if anything you are the entitled one thinking that papers must be written around you and made easy for you. And the hidden trapezium rule didnt require higher level of maths, it required higher levels of thoughts, it was REALLY testing if you knew what the trapezium rule was, and clearly, me included, didnt know what it really was. Doing further maths would give no advantage for that because the trapezium rule was not in that spec.
Okay123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also you keep claiming that several questions required further maths. The question you quoted, sure you CAN use further maths knowledge to solve it but you can also use maths learnt in the normal maths A level to solve it (As I did). Can you give another example of a question that is 'further maths specific'. Because according to your logic simultaenous equations should not be permissible in the A level math papers, because further math students can solve them with Matrices.
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have all papers been marked now?
I.dont_know
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
is this referring to specific paper boundaries or overall subject boundaries?
mysticmagic2000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Okay123)
Not once did I say the paper was easy, i struggled with all 3 papers and agree with everyone they were bloody hard, Im all for people complaining that the papers were hard because they were, and that the papers were leaked because those are valid complaints. So yes there is a need to say just stop. I agree the hidden trapezium rule question was mean, I also got that wrong, but hey thats exams, these exams were ALWAYS going to be more problem solving and wordy because thats what the new spec wanted. Unique questions that forced candidates to THINK. In the old spec grade boundaries were scarily high for some modules because papers were the same every single year. This spec was specifically made to combat that and the trapezium rule question is a perfect example. Was it mean? Yes. Will it seperate the A* candidates from the A candidates. Yes. So if anything you are the entitled one thinking that papers must be written around you and made easy for you. And the hidden trapezium rule didnt require higher level of maths, it required higher levels of thoughts, it was REALLY testing if you knew what the trapezium rule was, and clearly, me included, didnt know what it really was. Doing further maths would give no advantage for that because the trapezium rule was not in that spec.
Essentially, if you think everyone had a level playing field with those exams, you are bloody kidding yourself. Another question of this was the last question on the first paper. Integration of inverse trig functions was put onto the examination specification almost 3 months beforehand; whereas further maths students had had months to perfect the technique and almost master it. Many people who only did single maths struggled with the question as they had simple had not had enough practice because imo it was one of the easier questions on the paper that the further maths students had been exposed too. I think calling me entitled is unjust - I realise the advantage of me doing further maths and am admitting I had a much better chance of scoring an A and A* by doing both a levels than otherwise. Furthermore, I’m sorry you found it hard, but unfortunately you have to face facts that life isn’t going to be given to you on a plate and no one is on a level playing field in these circumstances
Okay123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Essentially, if you think everyone had a level playing field with those exams, you are bloody kidding yourself. Another question of this was the last question on the first paper. Integration of inverse trig functions was put onto the examination specification almost 3 months beforehand; whereas further maths students had had months to perfect the technique and almost master it. Many people who only did single maths struggled with the question as they had simple had not had enough practice because imo it was one of the easier questions on the paper that the further maths students had been exposed too. I think calling me entitled is unjust - I realise the advantage of me doing further maths and am admitting I had a much better chance of scoring an A and A* by doing both a levels than otherwise. Furthermore, I’m sorry you found it hard, but unfortunately you have to face facts that life isn’t going to be given to you on a plate and no one is on a level playing field in these circumstances
Bloody hell, you really do love to put words into my mouth. I also never said everyone was on a level playing field, I even admitted that further math students had an advantage. I dont quite remember what that question was, but no one seemed to have an issue about it after the first paper cause I read nothing about anyone complaining about anything from paper 1 being further math related making me think your reaching. And I dont know about it being put in 3 months beforehand because I remember seeing it in the A level math text book for year 2? Im also not denying the advantage I had? But all im saying is that your INITIAL statement that the papers was HEAVILY favouring further math students is simply false. Also again, you seem to be backing up my point by pandering towards me. I know not everyone is on a level playing field and I think YOU need to realise that not everyone is going to be on a level playing field since your the one complaining as to how absurd it is that further math students were advantaged in the paper. Please stop chatting nonsense, thank you.
TaySwiftie13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wanted to echo questions that have already been asked on here as a student who sat the a level maths exams. Has anything been done to compensate for the leaked paper and the fact that paper 1 and 2, more so paper 2 was absolutely nothing like the practice papers, specimen papers and textbook supplied and given to us by you? I am so disappointed my A level maths turned out the way it did after 2 years of hard work, as I feel like most of the preparation I did for the exam was useless as the lack of and quality of the resources supplied to us by you were completely inadequate and could not possibly have prepared us for that exam. I think for most people the issue was not the fact that the questions were difficult (A levels are hard and its to be expected) , but the fact that they were difficult because the only materials we were supplied to practice with were far easier than the exam, question styles and types were completely different. We were failed by your exam board, without even considering the impact of the leak of the whole of paper 3 on social media - its preposterous that the real A level maths exams - something which determines uni places and peoples futures - turned out like this. Unbelievable, and the students were helpless to it all.
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
just thought i'd say that the change to the specification happened in January 2018, and numerous reminders were sent to schools. apparently some were still unaware.
ultimateradman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So are they going to answer the questions?
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ultimateradman)
OP was open ended as to time but they will before results day yes.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I remember when they had Richard Branson answering questions, there must have been over a hundred asked and his team picked... four.
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Might as well just email them lol... or just tweet them on Twitter. Chances are none of these questions will be answered.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by RedGiant; 1 week ago
ultimateradman
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
I remember when they had Richard Branson answering questions, there must have been over a hundred asked and his team picked... four.
honestly no point in trying
ultimateradman
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
Might as well just email them lol... or just tweet them on Twitter. Chances are none of these questions will be answered.
Yh it's a waste of time.
TaySwiftie13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
argh its so annoying - why did they bother creating this thread then if they're not going to reply, results day is in 9 days! and after the shambles of the A level maths we are still not getting answers from Pearson, haven't even had the decency to respond to anyone, what a joke.
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TaySwiftie13)
argh its so annoying - why did they bother creating this thread then if they're not going to reply, results day is in 9 days! and after the shambles of the A level maths we are still not getting answers from Pearson, haven't even had the decency to respond to anyone, what a joke.
Probably the staff at TSR trying to get users back after exams have finished.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TaySwiftie13)
I think they plan to answer all the questions at once on the 15th. When they had Richard Branson doing it they gave a video of him answering the questions.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
10/10 troll thread seeing as it’s unlikely Pearson will answer
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What happens besides the marking of papers between the exam and results day?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (68)
17.35%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (247)
63.01%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
5.1%
Not yet but I might (57)
14.54%

Watched Threads