The Student Room Group

Ask Pearson your questions ahead of A level results day!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Okay123
THANK YOU THIS WAS PERFECT, wish people would just stop picking random irrelevant complaints to justifying there anger. The paper 3 leak and difficulty are the only valid ‘complaints’ but even then people who are still angry about this don’t understand how grade boundaries work ffs

Only reason I did this is I’m sick of seeing all the ridiculous complaints about how “awful” Edexcel actually were. The only complaint I agree with is about the leaks, but if I were them I’d trust that Edexcel know what they’re doing
Original post by Okay123
THANK YOU THIS WAS PERFECT, wish people would just stop picking random irrelevant complaints to justifying there anger. The paper 3 leak and difficulty are the only valid ‘complaints’ but even then people who are still angry about this don’t understand how grade boundaries work ffs

Tbh I think the notation for a riemann sum on paper 2 was a bit ****, but it is how it appeared in the spec.
Original post by _gcx
Tbh I think the notation for a riemann sum on paper 2 was a bit ****, but it is how it appeared in the spec.

It’s also on the AQA specification and has been in the practice papers. It shouldn’t have been a surprise really for it to be there in that notation, especially if on the edexcel specification.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MediocreSince01
It’s also on the AQA specification and has been in the practice papers. It shouldn’t have been a surprise really for it to be there in that notation, especially if on the edexcel specification.

yeah, it's just bad notation since it requires a nonstandard interpretation of \sum. (using normal interpretations it was equal to 0 not the integral) though a lot of people were distracted by the δ\delta.
Original post by _gcx

i dont know what ' riemann sum' but if its the big E sigma notation thing, I think that was fine because that was literally in chapter 3 of the pure year 2 book, I will say that ugly delta symbol that came up tho, that was trash, even tho as you said it was in the spec, it was not in the book at all. Unless ' riemann sum' is the delta symbol in which case I am so sorry
Reply 65
Original post by Okay123
i dont know what ' riemann sum' but if its the big E sigma notation thing, I think that was fine because that was literally in chapter 3 of the pure year 2 book, I will say that ugly delta symbol that came up tho, that was trash, even tho as you said it was in the spec, it was not in the book at all. Unless ' riemann sum' is the delta symbol in which case I am so sorry

A Riemann sum is kind of (or an approximation to) what an integral actually is - a sum of infinitely many infinitely small "strips" under a function, which is what the diagram in the question was showing.
Most people complained because they didn't know what δ\delta was, but really all that mattered was that it tended to 0. But if you were being really precise, the given formula isn't quite right.
Reply 66
Original post by Okay123

WORD, I was quite hot headed about the exams after I done them too :confused: but as the holidays progressed I soon realised that, while these tests were stupidly hard (for me and many others) the grade boundaries will reflect that. So there is little to worry about :smile:.
Original post by Okay123

I don't get the complaining about the symbol. It could have been bananas0\text{bananas} \to 0 and it wouldn't have mattered. it might have been in the book but as maths, the notation is poor and unclear. Think this has been discussed here before but you'd think the notation at A-level shouldn't be idiosyncratic and strictly standard to avoid confusion.
so when you gonna close down this piece of s*** examboard?
Original post by Lance18
WORD, I was quite hot headed about the exams after I done them too :confused: but as the holidays progressed I soon realised that, while these tests were stupidly hard (for me and many others) the grade boundaries will reflect that. So there is little to worry about :smile:.

What makes you think the grade boundaries will decrease? Did you not see the difficulty of paper 3 last year and yet the grade boundaries were still quite high.
paper 1 and paper 2 harder than last year paper 3 easier than last year and leaked meaning the grade boundaries will stay quite similar give or take 3 marks. Not to mention there were some mentions of a paper 2 leak and also the fact that further mathematicians sitting the exam will also raise the grade boundaries.There is a lot to worry about people's medicine and uni places or degrees are on the line.
In the past when this has happend with c4 leaks the grade boundaries stayed exactly the same so i woudn't be too optimistic.Edexcel could easily decrease each grade boundary by 3 marks dosent make that much of a difference the cheaters still have a much greater advantage and most people would have missed their grades
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
I don't get the complaining about the symbol. It could have been bananas0\text{bananas} \to 0 and it wouldn't have mattered. it might have been in the book but as maths, the notation is poor and unclear. Think this has been discussed here before but you'd think the notation at A-level shouldn't be idiosyncratic and strictly standard to avoid confusion.

My god you are so right, I never actually thought of it like that. I feel like a complete idiot for overthinking that symbol in the exam now. 😂😂
Original post by studentraps
What makes you think the grade boundaries will decrease? Did you not see the difficulty of paper 3 last year and yet the grade boundaries were still quite high.
paper 1 and paper 2 harder than last year paper 3 easier than last year and leaked meaning the grade boundaries will stay quite similar give or take 3 marks. Not to mention there were some mentions of a paper 2 leak and also the fact that further mathematicians sitting the exam will also raise the grade boundaries.There is a lot to worry about people's medicine and uni places or degrees are on the line.
In the past when this has happend with c4 leaks the grade boundaries stayed exactly the same so i woudn't be too optimistic.Edexcel could easily decrease each grade boundary by 3 marks dosent make that much of a difference the cheaters still have a much greater advantage and most people would have missed their grades

You thought last years grade boundaries were high O_o? So being able to lose 116 marks and still get an A is high? Literally you could get a third of the A level wrong and still get an A. I always thought that was on the lower end
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Okay123
You thought last years grade boundaries were high O_o? So being able to lose 116 marks and still get an A is high? Literally you could get a third of the A level wrong and still get an A. I always thought that was on the lower end

I would completely agree - if you compare the boundaries to the old specification, they are a god send! I feel like a realistic boundary will probably be 75% for A* and 65% for A
Reply 73
Original post by mysticmagic2000
I would completely agree - if you compare the boundaries to the old specification, they are a god send! I feel like a realistic boundary will probably be 75% for A* and 65% for A

So you think the boundaries for an A are going to increase by 11 marks from 184 to 195?
Original post by BF19
So you think the boundaries for an A are going to increase by 11 marks from 184 to 195?

Honestly, yes I do due to Paper 3.
Original post by mysticmagic2000

I will disagree with you there, I don’t think the grade boundaries will move up by that much but I do think they will move up. But we shall find out in under a week now 😭😭😭
I don't know if you guys tried the sample assessment material that edexcel provided. They were meant to reflect what the actual tests were going to be like but those who did them will know that they were nothing like the actual papers. I fully agree that the papers are meant to be hard and I did do further maths AS so you could say I had an advantage but still, the sample material threw so many people off.
Many of my friends felt confident about maths because the sample material was very straightforward but after the exams we all felt as if we hadn't done anything like that before.
This situation was made worse by the fact their were very few past papers to look at.
I just think it was wrong for edexcel to provide sample assessment material which is nothing like the actual paper.
Original post by Crapaud8
I don't know if you guys tried the sample assessment material that edexcel provided. They were meant to reflect what the actual tests were going to be like but those who did them will know that they were nothing like the actual papers. I fully agree that the papers are meant to be hard and I did do further maths AS so you could say I had an advantage but still, the sample material threw so many people off.
Many of my friends felt confident about maths because the sample material was very straightforward but after the exams we all felt as if we hadn't done anything like that before.
This situation was made worse by the fact their were very few past papers to look at.
I just think it was wrong for edexcel to provide sample assessment material which is nothing like the actual paper.

they did the same thing for Edexcel physics. paper 1 was a nightmare.
Original post by the cookie
they did the same thing for Edexcel physics. paper 1 was a nightmare.

I did ocr physics but for edexcel maths, they reused so many questions for the sample material, it felt as if they'd given up on trying to create new questions.
Original post by _gcx
take a shot for every question about a-level maths.

I've just counted and I think he's 9 shots in so far.... :beard:

Quick Reply

Latest