Das1997
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Here is my undergraduate profile, I am in my second year of uni and want to apply for my masters in finance from a respectable uni. However my undergraduate degree is not finance related.

-University of Sheffield (BA) Quantitative Social Science (With Business management) (65% in my second year)
-A level: Economics, Business, Media
- 10 (A*-C) GCSE's with an A in Maths

-2 Finance internships one with a start up in Copenhagen, one in a small finance consultancy. I am the Sports Committee Treasurer at the University of Sheffield. A year in Twikker Fund, a student run investment fund, where we invest in real equities and operate like a real mutual fund.

-Loads of other extra curricular activities: University Rugby Club, Cricket Club, Writer for the Investment society magazine.

- Also taking a financial markets online course by Yale University.

I could do my MSc in Accounting and Finance at Sheffield and stay there, its a decent University, but I would like to know if people think I would get into a better Uni. I meet the minimum requirements for some unis like Kings and Exeter but will that be enough?
Galeriapaints
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Have a look at the Entry requirements on the University website?
Das1997
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Galeriapaints)
Have a look at the Entry requirements on the University website?
Often the minimum entry requirements aren't enough to get an offer, Unis such as UCL only ask for a 2.1, when in reality the postgraduate student profile for these unis are much higher than the minimum.
Galeriapaints
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That is insightful.

How would that help the original poster ?
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
65% and above is what most high ranking uni's consider a "good 2:1" you could definitely get into UCL and Kings with a decent personal statement. Getting in isn't too hard at those places tbh. Paying for them could be a much bigger issue.

With postgrad loan of only £10,906

Which would cover a mere 1/2 of tuition.

No maintenance loan for accomodation you would need to self fund around £20,000-£25,000.

If you want a change of scenery i would suggest looking into Leeds, or Birmingham or Durham.

They have much more manageable course fees at least.

For example im applying to Leeds for Management consulting, and there MSc programs cost around £12,500.

I'm in a similar situation to you im a rising 3rd year with a 66% in second year and will be applying in October, but have chosen to try and take English uni's only as a back up. I've got my heart set on The University of Amsterdam and Erasmus University. Both truly world class institutions. QS puts UvA at 64 and Erasmus is top 70 in many rankings globally.

Fees?

€2,038 euro for the year.

So even if you ditched the postgrad loan you save tons.
mba1413
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
65% and above is what most high ranking uni's consider a "good 2:1" you could definitely get into UCL and Kings with a decent personal statement. Getting in isn't too hard at those places tbh. Paying for them could be a much bigger issue.

With postgrad loan of only £10,906

Which would cover a mere 1/2 of tuition.

No maintenance loan for accomodation you would need to self fund around £20,000-£25,000.

If you want a change of scenery i would suggest looking into Leeds, or Birmingham or Durham.

They have much more manageable course fees at least.

For example im applying to Leeds for Management consulting, and there MSc programs cost around £12,500.

I'm in a similar situation to you im a rising 3rd year with a 66% in second year and will be applying in October, but have chosen to try and take English uni's only as a back up. I've got my heart set on The University of Amsterdam and Erasmus University. Both truly world class institutions. QS puts UvA at 64 and Erasmus is top 70 in many rankings globally.

Fees?

€2,038 euro for the year.

So even if you ditched the postgrad loan you save tons.
MSc Finance at UCL is not "easy" per se, there's a math test if you pass the application screening and core modules are hard. I had really good friends from this master and they literally sweated blood to graduate it. It is very intense (program director is very rigorous) but rewarding.
University of Aberdeen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mba1413)
MSc Finance at UCL is not "easy" per se, there's a math test if you pass the application screening and core modules are hard. I had really good friends from this master and they literally sweated blood to graduate it. It is very intense (program director is very rigorous) but rewarding.
Hello all,
How are you today? I noticed the question about studying finance at postgraduate level without necessarily having a finance undergraduate degree.

We offer quite a few postgraduate business degrees which can offer you the opportunity to convert.

We have quite a few finance and finance related programmes in our Business School. These include a Finance MSc, a Finance and Investment Management MSc, Finance and Real Estate MSc and Accountancy and Finance MSc. There are one or two other options also there. Take a look at the website if you want more choices.

I wish you well in your studies and success in your career!
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My comment was more about getting an offer. Which is likely not that difficult (and shouldn't be for anyone applying to this kind of course as i assumed math's is their passion and makes up a large part of their skillset), due to the cost alone... Alot of people are priced out. Myself included.

Also UCL doesn't require a GMAT... As Ivy league's and even LSE require.
mba1413
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My comment was more about getting an offer. Which is likely not that difficult (and shouldn't be for anyone applying to this kind of course as i assumed math's is their passion and makes up a large part of their skillset), due to the cost alone... Alot of people are priced out. Myself included.

Also UCL doesn't require a GMAT... As Ivy league's and even LSE require.
GMAT is pretty much for people who don't have the quantitative background, but considering that they are already singling out those who don't have it by limiting it to economics, maths grads, etc I think GMAT is less needed. For LSE is required under certain conditions:

"GMAT or GRE is required for all applicants without a UK undergraduate degree (GMAT strongly preferred). GMAT is recommended for applicants with UK undergraduate degrees, especially those whose quantitative skills are not demonstrated by their undergraduate studies, or those who did not achieve or are not expected to achieve a first class degree"
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GMAT is pretty much for people who don't have the quantitative background, but considering that they are already singling out those who don't have it by limiting it to economics, maths grads, etc I think GMAT is less needed. For LSE is required under certain conditions:

"GMAT or GRE is required for all applicants without a UK undergraduate degree (GMAT strongly preferred). GMAT is recommended for applicants with UK undergraduate degrees, especially those whose quantitative skills are not demonstrated by their undergraduate studies, or those who did not achieve or are not expected to achieve a first class degree"
I see where we are colliding, your looking at it from a localised perspective...I'm viewing it from a global perspective...almost all of the top global business schools require for students to differentiate themselves...I'm currently taking it to do my master's in the Netherlands. As the two top uni's require it. So I've noticed it required on so many business schools around the world that are prestigious. I have in my mind considered those that don't require it as easier to get into. But you may be right...in UCL's case.. But i don't see how their in house test could be more difficult or encompass as much material as a GMAT that is computer adaptive and has a massive syllabus and needs to be worked out without a calculator. While you could just sit at home or with a tutor and work on the UCL test.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Aberdeen)
Hello all,
How are you today? I noticed the question about studying finance at postgraduate level without necessarily having a finance undergraduate degree.

We offer quite a few postgraduate business degrees which can offer you the opportunity to convert.

We have quite a few finance and finance related programmes in our Business School. These include a Finance MSc, a Finance and Investment Management MSc, Finance and Real Estate MSc and Accountancy and Finance MSc. There are one or two other options also there. Take a look at the website if you want more choices.

I wish you well in your studies and success in your career!
Hey, how does the funding work for EU students... Can we get postgrad loans in Scotland? It's so not clear anywhere.
University of Aberdeen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, how does the funding work for EU students... Can we get postgrad loans in Scotland? It's so not clear anywhere.
Hello Realitysreflexx,

How are you today? Each programme page lets you know about funding for postgraduate taught programmes at the University of Aberdeen. If you are interested in postgraduate research we have an opportunities page, and fees and funding page.

Good luck!
IPEguy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Das1997)
Here is my undergraduate profile, I am in my second year of uni and want to apply for my masters in finance from a respectable uni. However my undergraduate degree is not finance related.

-University of Sheffield (BA) Quantitative Social Science (With Business management) (65% in my second year)
-A level: Economics, Business, Media
- 10 (A*-C) GCSE's with an A in Maths

-2 Finance internships one with a start up in Copenhagen, one in a small finance consultancy. I am the Sports Committee Treasurer at the University of Sheffield. A year in Twikker Fund, a student run investment fund, where we invest in real equities and operate like a real mutual fund.

-Loads of other extra curricular activities: University Rugby Club, Cricket Club, Writer for the Investment society magazine.

- Also taking a financial markets online course by Yale University.

I could do my MSc in Accounting and Finance at Sheffield and stay there, its a decent University, but I would like to know if people think I would get into a better Uni. I meet the minimum requirements for some unis like Kings and Exeter but will that be enough?
Yes you have a decent shot with 65% or above. Don’t bother doing msc finance at anywhere below a top 10 assuming you want a high finance job? It’ll just be a waste of time. You could get into CASS, Edinburgh, Durham, UCL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads