hokyung1121
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently in year 12 going into 13 in September 2019 so personal statement is very much on my mind at the moment. Ultimately, my main goal is to study 'Architecture and Interdisciplinary Studies' at UCL, which includes multiple areas such as history, anthropology and philosophy, not just architecture. Since UCL is the only uni that offers this program and as I don't want to just apply for one university, I had to look for other degrees. As a result, I've decided that I am also interested to study 'History of Art', 'Social anthropology' and 'Liberal Arts'. The problem is I don't know how to tie these subjects into one personal statement. I could mainly talk about history as that is a common factor and also I am doing history a levels, however there are different factors that I would need to mention. Such as architecture for the architecture course, anthropology for the social anthropology course ect. I know my degree choices are very niche and that's why I need help as I don't know anyone who is similar to me. All in short, I could tailor my statment but that would mean that I would lose out offers from the other unis and I don't want to end up with one offer? Thanks, hope someone can help.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My advice straight away is to settle on one course. You're essentially trying to apply for 4 different courses here - either decide or don't apply.
If you want to study architecture, make your personal statement primarily about architecture. Ok, talk a bit about the other subjects you're interested in so UCL know that you're interested in the interdisciplinary studies part of it, but not so much that your personal statement looks like a mess to other unis. With such niche courses it's not too bad if your PS isn't perfectly tailored to it.
hokyung1121
Rep:
?
Yh I thought that would be the best option, but since UCL is hard to get into, I don't want to put all of my balls in one basket. I would like to apply for 5 courses but it's difficult to juggle everything obviously. I've done most of my initial draft and at the moment I've spoken about history, society/social aspects and art (due to my a levels, epq and voluteering all linking to those subjects) and how I could cement these knowledge creatively, and talked about architecture and just visual imagery as a whole, how my learnings can influence designs and help to adapt to the globalised age. I thought this could appeal to history of arts a lot and liberal arts (where you study arts, humanities and social sciences basically) as well as architecture? What are your thoughts, do you still think I should just go for architecture?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you want to be an architect?
hokyung1121
Rep:
?
That's the thing: I don't. I would like to go into the fields of design as a career but I didn't want to do graphics design at university and being an architect takes 7 years at least. The reason I've looked at architecture and interdisciplinary course was that it wasn't all focus on architecture, rather history and humanity side, which appeals to me - like the fact that it's all rounded subject interlinking my interests together (hence why liberal arts and history of art interests me also). I know I sound really unsure, which is the critical thing that unis hate! but there's so much that I'm passionate about so narrowing down is the most difficult part for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (642)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads