Can I do physics A level without Maths?

Watch
Hxllyspencer9051
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently choosing my a level options and am interested in a career in medicine. I originally wanted to do 3 a levels in biology, chemistry and physics but a few people have told me not to do physics without maths. Does anyone do physics without maths and if so, how do you find it and should i do it? Thank you!!
Jingbah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You will struggle considering that it does require a lot of a level maths content but if you are prepared to spend extra hours outside the lessons going over the maths then yeah it is possible. I have friends doing that but they are not doing the best in the class or they want to drop
Mustafa0605
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I finished A level physics. About 40% of A level physics involves a decent level of maths. It does help if you do A level maths but if you are decently strong at maths (at least grade 6) you won’t have problems with some of the basic concepts such as logs or other basics of a level maths in a level physics.
Ja78975-Junaid
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
I finished A level physics. About 40% of A level physics involves a decent level of maths. It does help if you do A level maths but if you are decently strong at maths (at least grade 6) you won’t have problems with some of the basic concepts such as logs or other basics of a level maths in a level physics.
what If you got a 9 in GCSE Maths, would you still take Maths along with Physics?
Last edited by Ja78975-Junaid; 1 year ago
Jingbah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you are that confident in maths then yeah you’ll be fine. There is not that much A level content in the course beside from something called logarithms which you do in year 2.
XHannahR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hxllyspencer9051)
I am currently choosing my a level options and am interested in a career in medicine. I originally wanted to do 3 a levels in biology, chemistry and physics but a few people have told me not to do physics without maths. Does anyone do physics without maths and if so, how do you find it and should i do it? Thank you!!
I’ve chosen my A-Levels which I will start in September hopefully..I’m doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics..they said I should have no problem doing physics without maths
Mustafa0605
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ja78975)
what If you got a 9 in GCSE Maths, would you still take Maths along with Physics?
Taking A level maths with A level physics is definitely better as some topics overlap, but if you are decent at maths, there shouldn’t be any trouble with taking A level physics without A level maths
Hxllyspencer9051
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for all the replies, they are all really helpful! I am leaning towards biology chemistry and physics without maths at the moment but i’ll have to wait for my gcse results first.
sammy0205
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey, i know you posted this question a while ago but I'd like to give my input if you're still deciding?
so i take biology chemistry physics, like you're considering, and to be completely honest, taking A level physics was the worst decision i have ever made.
now that's not to say you'll hate it. but a lot of the answers you'll get will be from teachers or from students who take A Level maths. i got an 8 in GCSE maths and a 9 in GCSE physics. im in my second year now of A level physics, and im predicted a B but in my recent assessments ive been getting D to U.
the issue with taking physics without maths is that all the other students in the class will be better than you. period. they are much more practiced at maths because they do it daily. not only will you struggle with the calculations, many of the concepts are supported by maths, and if you dont understand the maths, suddenly the whole topic goes over your head.
if someone had told me honestly how hard A Level physics was a year ago, i wouldn't have taken it.
it's up to you obviously. but staying after school and putting extra hours in sometimes just doesn't work. ive been staying after college and doing extra revision for a year and it's gotten me nowhere.
so, unless you absolutely love physics and you're sure that you won't go off it, i really really wouldn't recommend taking it without maths.
once again, it's your decision. im just telling you the honest truth of taking it without maths which i truly wish someone had told me a year ago.
rosacherry
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ask your sixth form/college for advice or ask your schools careers adviser. Most sixth forms/colleges are having open days around now so it's a good time to ask!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads