Anti-immigrant sentiment and racism - how blurred is the line? Watch

luckylouielou
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I hear many of my family, some friends and some colleagues insist that being anti-immigration is not racist. Okay sure but can we acknowledge that there is a blurred line? And if so how blurred is it?
username4889668
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do they say about immigrants? Give an example.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not all anti-immigrants are racist but all racists are anti-immigrants. Or something like that...
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by luckylouielou)
I hear many of my family, some friends and some colleagues insist that being anti-immigration is not racist. Okay sure but can we acknowledge that there is a blurred line? And if so how blurred is it?
Why dont you explain to us where that blurred line is and what it is?
Are you saying it is impossible to be anti immigration without being a racist?
What about xenophobia?
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by luckylouielou)
They question the scale of it, they think there should be none, they would be pro-immigration were there one race only on the planet, do they question non-white immigrants only, what? What does anti-immigration mean?
Last edited by z-hog; 1 month ago
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ascend)
Not all anti-immigrants are racist but all racists are anti-immigrants. Or something like that...
Why would a white racist inherently be against white people immigrating?
Ascend
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student-95)
Why would a white racist inherently be against white people immigrating?
That was tongue-in-cheek but racism has no consistent logic or any rational basis in either biology or social science. A white racist of one country may not consider another white group (of a different region/culture) to be of the right "white stock". See the history of Irish immigrants and how they were treated or even present day anti-Polish sentiment in the UK:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...X.2018.1451308

<< One of the arguments used to support the idea that anti-immigrant feeling has nothing to do with racism is that Polish and other East European migrants are ‘white’ (Anderson 2013). However, the focus of racist discourse has shifted to culture and ethnicity seen as fixed categories giving rise to the new forms of racism. As Anthias and Yuval-Davis (1983) suggest:

racist discourse posits an essential biological determination to culture but its referent may be any group that has been ‘socially’ constructed as having a different ‘origin’, whether cultural, biological or historical. It can be ‘Jewish’, ‘black’, ‘foreign’, ‘migrant’, ‘minority’. In other words any group that has been located in ethnic terms can be subject to ‘racism’ as a form of exclusion.

Furthermore, Gilroy (1987) argues that the new forms of racism have ‘the capacity to link discourses of patriotism, nationalism, xenophobia, Englishness, Britishness, militarism and gender difference into a complex situation which gives “race” its contemporary meaning’. >>
looloo2134
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the problem with Irish immigrants is it was uncontrolled we have people who are unemployable with criminal records and we have doctors with PHD who earn more than British people. The low class people give the Irish a bad name if we have the same rule as we do for South Africa/America immigrants who have to earn over £36000 per year and a job to come. It the same with all EU immigrants we need educated people who can/will earn higher wages than the average British person and who does not have a criminal record in their own country.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ascend)
Not all humans are racists but all racists are human.

Daft logic.
Ascend
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Not all humans are racists but all racists are human.

Daft logic.
That was a play on the 'not all Muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are Muslim' hyperbolic trope. It is daft.

But actually thinking about it made me realise that the racist-anti-immigration link is stronger than the Muslim-terrorism one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.59%
Disagree (5)
6.33%
Neither agree or disagree (22)
27.85%
Agree (32)
40.51%
Strongly Agree (14)
17.72%

Watched Threads