?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Open discussion for those applying to study graduate vet med in 2020
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Application details ice-breaker questions.

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
Undergraduate Details:
Work Experience:
Extra curriculars:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You can find other threads for applicants to your universities in this big list here.
panna55_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a Veterinary Bioscience graduate (2:1) and I'm looking to apply to graduate accelerated programmes at Bristol and the RVC and the 5 year programmes at Surrey and Bristol.

In terms of work experience I have:
>1 year working full time in a veterinary diagnostic laboratory (2018-present)
1 week small animal practice
1 week equine hospital
1 week dairy farm

Previously (over 2 years ago) I have also done:
One summer working part time on a livery yard
One summer working a morning a week in a mixed practice
1 week placement on a mixed practice abroad
1 day in an abbatoir
1 week on petting farm

Do you think this is enough? Will I be able to draw on my older work experience in my application?
Last edited by panna55_; 1 year ago
amrferret
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by panna55_)
I am a Veterinary Bioscience graduate (2:1) and I'm looking to apply to graduate accelerated programmes at Bristol and the RVC and the 5 year programmes at Surrey and Bristol.

In terms of work experience I have:
>1 year working full time in a veterinary diagnostic laboratory (2018-present)
1 week small animal practice
1 week equine hospital
1 week dairy farm

Previously (over 2 years ago) I have also done:
One summer working part time on a livery yard
One summer working a morning a week in a mixed practice
1 week placement on a mixed practice abroad
1 day in an abbatoir
1 week on petting farm

Do you think this is enough? Will I be able to draw on my older work experience in my application?
Do you mind if I ask why you aren't applying to the GEP at Edinburgh? I'm a Biomedical Science grad planning my application and am wondering if they'll reject my application as I don't meet one of their criteria of "subjects studied must include... Physics". I haven't taken physics since GCSEs. Are these requirements aimed for American students?
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by amrferret)
Do you mind if I ask why you aren't applying to the GEP at Edinburgh? I'm a Biomedical Science grad planning my application and am wondering if they'll reject my application as I don't meet one of their criteria of "subjects studied must include... Physics". I haven't taken physics since GCSEs. Are these requirements aimed for American students?
I'm not wanting to guess the OP's answer but not many UK graduates apply to the GEP at Edinburgh or Glasgow due to the fees being so much higher than the equivalent courses at the English universities.
amrferret
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by animalmagic)
I'm not wanting to guess the OP's answer but not many UK graduates apply to the GEP at Edinburgh or Glasgow due to the fees being so much higher than the equivalent courses at the EnglishThanks universities.
Thanks! That makes sense. I'm an international student so I only really focus on those tuition fees so RVC is actually the most expensive school. However, it seems that RVC does generously give one full-ride scholarship for high-achieving international students.
ratthekid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What course are you applying for: Veterinary Medicine, 4 year at Bristol and Dublin, 5 year at Surrey, Bristol and Liverpool (Interview for liverpool, yay!)
Undergraduate Details: About to graduate from my bachelor's degree in Zoology at the University of Calgary (Canada)
Work Experience:
2 Summers full time at a local animal control
1 Summer Full time at a veterinary hospital as a veterinary assistant, still there, just down to 20 hours a week while in uni
3 Years volunteering at a small animal hospital
6 Months Volunteering at a small animal rescue
Helping instruct a senior level zoology course for a semester
Paid researcher in zoology for a year
Extra curriculars:
Class Representative in a zoology course
Volunteering with senior citizens
Zoology Dissection labs
Class representative for a genetics course
Class Representative for a cellular biology course
Went to mexico to build houses when I was a teen
Still waiting to hear from bristol, surrey and dublin! Really nervous
Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.
MelissaGomez42
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any one with interviews for graduate entry, ADVICE PLEASE
MelissaGomez42
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by animalmagic)
I'm not wanting to guess the OP's answer but not many UK graduates apply to the GEP at Edinburgh or Glasgow due to the fees being so much higher than the equivalent courses at the English universities.
The fees for Edinburgh accelerated this year are £32,850!!! I have gone for it (got an interview), and hoping to try scholarships
ratthekid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone heard from Bristol yet ?
vetstudent2020
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ratthekid)
Has anyone heard from Bristol yet ?
I've got an interview with bristol next week, have you heard anything yet?
Has anyone heard from RVC, from what I've seen on other threads they have been a bit quiet so far?
Pippin93
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Alicia_98)
I've got an interview with bristol next week, have you heard anything yet?
Has anyone heard from RVC, from what I've seen on other threads they have been a bit quiet so far?
What day are you for Bristol?
vetstudent2020
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Pippin93)
What day are you for Bristol?
Mine is on the fourth, do you have an interview too?
Pippin93
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Mine is on the fourth, do you have an interview too?
I have mine on the 11th, RVC on the 4th, how are you feeling about it? I have no idea how to prepare
vetstudent2020
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I have mine on the 11th, RVC on the 4th, how are you feeling about it? I have no idea how to prepare
Ah well done for getting RVC too! I'm still waiting to hear from them, starting too loose hope but they are my first choice
I'm quite nervous, I've been trying to listen to podcasts and do some reading on current issues but I feel like I am constantly working or doing uni work at the moment so it's hard to fit in much preparation, which isn't great i know
How about you?
Pippin93
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Ah well done for getting RVC too! I'm still waiting to hear from them, starting too loose hope but they are my first choice
I'm quite nervous, I've been trying to listen to podcasts and do some reading on current issues but I feel like I am constantly working or doing uni work at the moment so it's hard to fit in much preparation, which isn't great i know
How about you?
I know and another thing is I dont want to be too prepared so it sounds like it’s scripted! I’m just trying to cram in all this information on the down low at work
MelissaGomez42
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I know and another thing is I dont want to be too prepared so it sounds like it’s scripted! I’m just trying to cram in all this information on the down low at work
How about you?
I ordered this book (got it the next day). I find it really easy to read and covers some really good issues. Also gives you pointers to websites to visit. Would highly recommend. Also with the upcoming election I was told to read through the current parties manifestos (labour and conservative).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-Vet...c=1&th=1&psc=1
MelissaGomez42
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by MelissaGomez42)
I ordered this book (got it the next day). I find it really easy to read and covers some really good issues. Also gives you pointers to websites to visit. Would highly recommend. Also with the upcoming election I was told to read through the current parties manifestos (labour and conservative).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-Vet...c=1&th=1&psc=1
forgot to mention current manifestos in regards to animal welfare
biovetgraduate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I have not heard from Bristol or RVC at all. A bit worried cause the interviews are soon. Is it because I am from Northern Ireland or?
ratthekid
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by biovetgraduate)
I have not heard from Bristol ir RVC at all. A bit worried cause the interviews are soon. Is it because I am from Northern Ireland or?
Im from Canada and have heard nothing from Bristol either
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.51%

Watched Threads