The Student Room Group

38% of 2018/19 applicants have received an unconditional offer

Record figures released by UCAS show that 38% of all 18-year-olds in England, NI and Wales who are yet to receive their results obtained at least one offer with an unconditional element. This could be include straightforward unconditional offer, or an 'unconditional if firmed' offer, sometimes referred to as a conditional unconditional.

Need some advice about declining your unconditional offer? Check out our FAQ here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6018164

Did you get an unconditional offer this year? What do you think about the high proportion of students receiving unconditional offers?

Scroll to see replies

Some universities give them out so randomly. Birmingham has given about 20 unconditional offers to people in my year and only 30 applied. My friend only just met the entry requirements and got an unconditional, another friend was a grade below (for English) and got one. It seems though, from experience, less people are accepting them. It for whatever reason gives some people I know a huge confidence boost to let them know they’re too good for the university.
Original post by Kristen1283
Some universities give them out so randomly. Birmingham has given about 20 unconditional offers to people in my year and only 30 applied. My friend only just met the entry requirements and got an unconditional, another friend was a grade below (for English) and got one. It seems though, from experience, less people are accepting them. It for whatever reason gives some people I know a huge confidence boost to let them know they’re too good for the university.

Birmingham have given out lots of unconditionals for the last few years.

People do seem to be viewing unconditionals more negatively now than when they were first introduced - maybe because they are being given out too often now and not always very wisely. Also, some applicants go off unis when they give them an unconditional because it makes them look desperate - to lose potential students through the scheme is the very opposite of what the unis would have intended when the made the decision to switch to unconditional offers :redface:
Bunch of ex-polies.
Original post by harrysbar
Birmingham have given out lots of unconditionals for the last few years.

People do seem to be viewing unconditionals more negatively now than when they were first introduced - maybe because they are being given out too often now and not always very wisely. Also, some applicants go off unis when they give them an unconditional because it makes them look desperate - to lose potential students through the scheme is the very opposite of what the unis would have intended when the made the decision to switch to unconditional offers :redface:

I think it kinda just ruins the appeal. We all like to think our uni is a good one, so to think they’re desperate is ‘upsetting’ it seems. Again, this is what my mates have said - no one beef me.
Original post by Kristen1283
I think it kinda just ruins the appeal. We all like to think our uni is a good one, so to think they’re desperate is ‘upsetting’ it seems. Again, this is what my mates have said - no one beef me.

I wouldn't dream of beefing you Kristen, I'm too old :tongue:
I wouldn't dream of beefing you Kristen, I'm too old :tongue:

I wasn’t talking about you, and you know what they say - you’re only as old as you feel. Idk if I agree with that, don’t want a bunch of kids acting up but whatever.
Reply 7
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Record figures released by UCAS show that 38% of all 18-year-olds in England, NI and Wales who are yet to receive their results obtained at least one offer with an unconditional element. This could be include straightforward unconditional offer, or an 'unconditional if firmed' offer, sometimes referred to as a conditional unconditional.

Need some advice about declining your unconditional offer? Check out our FAQ here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6018164

Did you get an unconditional offer this year? What do you think about the high proportion of students receiving unconditional offers?

i recieved 2 unconditional offers. I turned them both down even though i got an unconditional from a really good uni which wants BBB
Original post by Nint123
i recieved 2 unconditional offers. I turned them both down even though i got an unconditional from a really good uni which wants BBB

So why did you turn them down if they're a really good uni? (just curious)
I wish they'd just scrap unconditionals tbh. Or have rules where they can only be given if the applicant already has their grades or if they have an outstanding application.
The "unconditional if firmed" kind really are predatory. I can't really think of a reason why people should be given unconditional offers pre-qualification anyway.
Doesnt mean people have accepted them though. Its a win for the unis because they get potentially better students plus the money.
Bot something I can get worked up about.
Reply 12
So why did you turn them down if they're a really good uni? (just curious)

got an offer from number 4 in the country. who doesnt want to go to a top 4 uni?
I think numbers of people taking gap years and applying post a levels is on the rise. It’s probably only a small percentage of the unconditional offers but still would contribute.
Original post by avacados1
I think numbers of people taking gap years and applying post a levels is on the rise. It’s probably only a small percentage of the unconditional offers but still would contribute.

this statistic only refers to 18 year olds so people resitting or taking gap years wouldn't be counted under this statistic.
Oh Ok
I got offered a unconditional if firmed offer, but it wasn’t the uni I REALLY want to go to. Though it was tempting as I’m so worried I won’t get the grades I need to for uni, I made my favourite uni choice my firm. Which requires AAA, although there is some leeway with it.
Original post by avacados1

Original post by Paypurr
I got offered a unconditional if firmed offer, but it wasn’t the uni I REALLY want to go to. Though it was tempting as I’m so worried I won’t get the grades I need to for uni, I made my favourite uni choice my firm. Which requires AAA, although there is some leeway with it.

I definitely would like to see them only given out post qualification or outstanding application. Several people on my daughter's course quit after recieving unconditional offers including her best friend who went and got a job. Having said that I did not miss another summer of stress waiting for results!I do think it affected the work ethic of her group and I felt sorry for her tutors.
She had one of the' firm us and it becomes unconditional types 'and I do think it influenced her decision with her cancelling an interview with a higher ranked uni against my advice.
Original post by Scotney
I definitely would like to see them only given out post qualification or outstanding application. Several people on my daughter's course quit after recieving unconditional offers including her best friend who went and got a job. Having said that I did not miss another summer of stress waiting for results!I do think it affected the work ethic of her group and I felt sorry for her tutors.
She had one of the' firm us and it becomes unconditional types 'and I do think it influenced her decision with her cancelling an interview with a higher ranked uni against my advice.

I think my son stopped working so hard after he got his unconditional from Birmingham, and it did influence him to Firm them since he's stress averse. But I must admit that unconditionals are good for some people and the sensible ones don't let it affect their decisions either way....they just pick the uni that's best for them
I think my son stopped working so hard after he got his unconditional from Birmingham, and it did influence him to Firm them since he's stress averse. But I must admit that unconditionals are good for some people and the sensible ones don't let it affect their decisions either way....they just pick the uni that's best for them

Tbh she is also stress averse and it was good for her plus she already had her A levels. But for cohort in general it was demotivating. A lot of them got offers from unis way down the league tables and one wonders what they will get for the money!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending