The Student Room Group

Chances of securing a training contract?

Hi!

I am an international student and I did my A-levels outside the UK and secured a BBC and an AAABD at AS-Level. The reason for my poor a-levels is that my school didn't offer most of the subjects I wanted (Law, Politics & Media Studies) so I had to take other subjects and my school system was pretty tough.

Do I mention this when applying for TCs? I don't think it would count as a mitigating circumstance.

I have secured a high 2:1 (66 %) in my first year and I have legal work experience in two countries. I do a lot of volunteer work, extra-curricular activities and I'm working part- time at a local law firm during my studies. I also speak 3 languages and self-learning Arabic. I haven't been to an open-day or secured a vacation scheme as yet (will do that in my second year before applying for TCs)

Do I still have a chance of securing a TC at a good firm? I'm already at a disadvantage because I'm an international student and I don't have the best A-Levels.

I read on law-careers.net that some firms require you to take part in their first-year program to give you a training contract? Is that true?
Reply 1
Thank you!
Reply 2
He probably confused it with the fact that some first year schemes give you the opportunity to receive a training contract.
Which firms do you consider to be academically selective?
Reply 4
Original post by phantomdiarrhea
Which firms do you consider to be academically selective?

Add Davis Polk, Sidley Austin to that list. Although I know people with 2.2s who have applied to Skadden and have made it to interview stage and one even got a TC. This was also fairly recent (last year's cycle).
Reply 5
Yeah makes sense
Reply 6
Are you aware of firms that are easier to get into? With lower A-level requirements?
Reply 7
Original post by m111k111
Are you aware of firms that are easier to get into? With lower A-level requirements?

Nope! You'll have to check all of them yourself unfortunately. I didn't really look at the firms that may have not required A Levels / A level requirements.

You could say, generally speaking, firms like CMS, Norton Rose Fulbright, Ashurst, DLA Piper, Addleshaw Goddard, Baker McKenzie, Dentons, etc are easier to get into though! If you just want a Training Contract, you could also look at the regional offices of some of these large firms (DLA Piper, Eversheds, etc)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending