Asthma in the army

Watch this thread
Thomasnoble
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been defered from the army due to asthma! Even though on my GP letter to the army , she states I have not been diagnosed with asthma. However I did get issued an inhaler for precaution and used it in sport to see if there was any change. But I didnt need inhalers so I told my doctors and they didnt issue them to me anymore. So if I havent been diagnosed with asthma , why did army not continue my application?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
You may not have asthma, but you've been deferred by the Army because your doctor saw you had a respiratory problem that was serious enough to issue you with an inhaler.

The Army recruitment website says 4 years clear of treatment, but check with your AFCO on the medical guidelines (they won't be able to give you a definite answer on your case) and you are within your rights to appeal. However, understand that it may not be successful, though if that happens you could keep up-to-date with the medical requirements for the Army and apply again when the time has elapsed.
unblessedcoffee
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I was deferred from the Royal Navy at first because my BMI was 28 (overweight). A friend of mine was barred from ever joining up because he had eczema when he was a kid. Unfortunately they are extremely picky and the joining medical will have noticed a respiratory problem. As others have said I would speak with the AFCO rep about how long they want you clear of treatment and what you need to do to overcome this particular obstacle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed