English Lit Unit 6 (Edexcel) - Unseen Poetry Watch

Melly West
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Can anyone find the poem we did on the internet? It was Letter to/from Barbados, I can't find it anywhere :confused:.

How do you think it went?

(Friday 13th exam)
vixky!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No! I haven't been able to find it either.

I'm really happy with how it went. The poem was probably considered quite an easy one, but I'm so pleased with it. I was so so so worried about the unseen and I just felt I really "clicked" with the poem, really got the meaning and my essay was one of the best I've ever written in my opinion. Just generally feeling really positive about it.

This means I've probably failed it. :P
Sianeh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't even look at the poem or the question before doing my North & South/Hard Times essay because I didn't want to be worrying about it, but when I looked at it I thought that was the best unseen poem/question I've seen. Some of the poems in the last couple of years I just couldn't figure out the theme! So I was really happy, especially after the disaster that was Wednesday's exam!
vixky!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sianeh)
I didn't even look at the poem or the question before doing my North & South/Hard Times essay because I didn't want to be worrying about it, but when I looked at it I thought that was the best unseen poem/question I've seen. Some of the poems in the last couple of years I just couldn't figure out the theme! So I was really happy, especially after the disaster that was Wednesday's exam!
I feel the exact same way! I did the unseen first because my teacher said they really stressed at a teacher's meeting thing that they want you to do it in order but I agree, the best I've seen!

I'm so gad after Wednesday too. I thought I'd totally failed but the unseen especially has given me hope back lol.
k007
Report 11 years ago
i cant find letter to barbados anywhere on the net either =S ..i usually stress about the unseen but this one wasn't that bad i have to admit, it was pretty straight forward and easy to analyse..wot different meanings for the poem did u lot get?
Melly West
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by vixky!)

This means I've probably failed it. :P
Haha that's exactly how I feel after a 'good' exam, I'm sure you did very well.

I really enjoyed the poem too, my unit 5 on Wednesday was quite hard but hopefully yesterday made up for it.

Anyone got any conspiracy theories as to why the poem is nowhere? lol.
MrPick
Report 11 years ago
I thought the poem was OK but not great... The two North and South/Hard Times questions were good though, especially the personal morality/social justice one, loads of scope to write about stuff there.
Any theories about this poem? I concentrated on the theme of nature and the way in which the awkward rhythm (loads of caesura, enjambement) juxtaposed against the 'ridigity' of the evenly-lined stanzas indicated some sort of psychological imbalance...I thought he resented his brother. Seen the dove as either symbolic of the speaker's struggle with nature, or symbolic of a loss of hope in salvaging the relationship. Any other thoughts? As mine sound ****e when I write them like that. lol.
Sianeh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I said something like he felt like him and his brother had grown distant from each other, emotionally as well as geographically ha. That he felt himself and his life inferior and mundane compared to his exotic life. Um, that he was dying, and possibly died at the end of the poem.
vixky!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Argghh, can people summarise things they wrote so I can know wheter I did okay/horribly? haha.

Some of the things I wrote:

The appearance of the stanzas on the page (eight sestets & same line lengths) could show how he's controlling his emotions in writing, but the irregular meter and rhyme scheme could show how he's falling apart inside.

Repetition of ideas (references to his brother's life and what his brother is thinking) could have shown the mundanity of his life in comparison to his brothers.

Constant reference and imagery of life represent his brother. The death of the dove and the words like "shrivelled" and "cold" in the final stanza represent him or his life.

I said that the dove could possibly represent happiness/joy and compared that to Shelley's 'To A Skylark'. I also compared it to 'The Darkling Thrush' to show the sense of uncertainty. Then just summarised by saying the influence of the Romantics was obvious.

I related all these point mostly to Walker's presentation of the sense of loss/insecurity/grief and said that when he ended contact with his brother at the end it was like death.

Think I briefly mentioned that the line that was something like "And the sun above you / hurts my eyes as I gaze" showed a brief glimpse of hope as he acknowledged they were under the same sun, and that he wasn't totally alone. Just to offer some alternate views.

Barely wrote anything on context though.

EDIT/ ****, everyone else wrote better things than me. I really like your idea, marcpick, about the ceasure and enjambment. I didn't mention those at all! Crap crap crap.
MrPick
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by vixky!)
Barely wrote anything on context though.
Wouldn't worry about it...you're only assessed on AO1, AO2 and AO3 (double-weighted) on this paper. They can't expect you to know context about every possible period of history. lol.
I got down a lot of the points you mentioned like the one about the sun... so at least we know our thoughts weren't totally 'out there' lol.
vixky!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by marcpick)
Wouldn't worry about it...you're only assessed on AO1, AO2 and AO3 (double-weighted) on this paper. They can't expect you to know context about every possible period of history. lol.
I got down a lot of the points you mentioned like the one about the sun... so at least we know our thoughts weren't totally 'out there' lol.
Thank god! I thought you had to put a bit of context, so glad it's not assessed.

Glad that we got some similar stuff.
Bitter..Sweet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
WHAT ABOUT THE EMMA AND P&P QUESTION???

Im so scared I misinterpreted (a) ! It was about serious issues in society and how individuals need to find their true place? I wrote about Lizzy and Emma and how they need to develop in order to find their true place in society?
But everyone else did smething completely different???
k007
Report 11 years ago
damn u guys seemed to have got sum pretty good points..i didnt mention the sun or any feelings of resentment =S i didnt think he resented his brother but was just longing for him to be there with him and was happy for his well-being etc..i never go into enough detail urgh!

anyways, with regards to emma and p&p u have to bear in mind that the title mentioned the word 'comic' so u needed to refer to all the comic characters who have serious undertones, e.g - miss bates, mrs bennet..those were the most obvious characters, then i moved on to cover the characters who are comic through irony, such as caroline bingley and lady catherine, and how these have serious meanings with regard to their social class...after i'd finished on all the characters i realised i hadn't even mentioned the heroines!! so last paragraph i spoke of the development of emma and elizabeth..is that roughly wot u got?
Bitter..Sweet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by k007)
damn u guys seemed to have got sum pretty good points..i didnt mention the sun or any feelings of resentment =S i didnt think he resented his brother but was just longing for him to be there with him and was happy for his well-being etc..i never go into enough detail urgh!

anyways, with regards to emma and p&p u have to bear in mind that the title mentioned the word 'comic' so u needed to refer to all the comic characters who have serious undertones, e.g - miss bates, mrs bennet..those were the most obvious characters, then i moved on to cover the characters who are comic through irony, such as caroline bingley and lady catherine, and how these have serious meanings with regard to their social class...after i'd finished on all the characters i realised i hadn't even mentioned the heroines!! so last paragraph i spoke of the development of emma and elizabeth..is that roughly wot u got?

basically i spoke about emma and lizzy the whole time and the various events, with brief mention to irony. but i mean was i right to talk about how they need to develop to earn their place and their men in society?
k007
Report 11 years ago
yhh thats fine koz u've focussed on the main people!! i completely left them to one side! but yh if you talked about them the whole time then im really not so sure how many marks you can get for that..but u must have developed really detailed points on them so im guessing thats fine..u r answering the question by talkin of them gaining their place in society and their men but u completely missed out the word comic or did u mention any other characters?
Bitter..Sweet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
omgoshhhh i never used the word comic once, i just used ironic ... oops :s
k007
Report 11 years ago
same thing.. im sure u did fine..u wouldnt happen to remember the EXACT title would u?
Bitter..Sweet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Noo sorry i dont. its really bugging me too lol. 'Although the novel can be seen as comic their are some serious issues that individuals have to resolve before they can find their true home in society'?
k007
Report 11 years ago
sumthing like that..im really worried now because i think the main focus of the question was on emma and elizabeth :confused:
pandora7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
nobody did unseen prose? when i read the first line i knew i was going to do prose. i didn't even bother reading the poetry one. prose got loads of images, themes, nature, etcetc too easy if i may say so myself :p: definitely like nothing from the past papers!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
65.66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21.21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.13%

Watched Threads