The Student Room Group

Geography NEA

Hi everyone, I am currently undertaking my Geography NEA. I have chosen to study sediment size and longshore drift along Chesil Beach in Dorset. I wanted to choose a topic that I could keep quite focused and not go too off track with!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any theorists that I could link to who discuss sediment and longshore drift as part of my literature review? I was also wondering if there were further sub topics that I could explore relating to sediment size and longshore drift?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,
You could use Hanson et al, but I’m not sure about many others. Here’s an example literature review on sediment cells I found:
https://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/181176/8/08_chapter%202.pdf

I’m doing a similar title for my NEA, so if you find any theorists or articles or anything that would be helpful please can you let me know.

Thanks x
Original post by ?Hannah?
Hi everyone, I am currently undertaking my Geography NEA. I have chosen to study sediment size and longshore drift along Chesil Beach in Dorset. I wanted to choose a topic that I could keep quite focused and not go too off track with!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any theorists that I could link to who discuss sediment and longshore drift as part of my literature review? I was also wondering if there were further sub topics that I could explore relating to sediment size and longshore drift?

For the sub topics take a look at the spec, it will tell you what can be linked to sediment size/longshore drift. For sediment size you could talk about weathering, erosion, mass movement, lithology, structural weaknesses, rock type (all of that rock stuff I guess) and for longshore drift maybe talk about fetch, destructive/constructive waves. Sorry I don't remember much. For the theorists a quick google search may help, I'm not sure about any theories because I did a human NEA.
When I did my NEA, I incorporated human Geography into physical Geography (I was also working along a coastline). I think it just makes the project more interesting. Is there anything even remotely interesting about the area of coast you have chosen to study? If so, perhaps you could talk about how the changing sediment size along the coast can have implications on the human activity nearby?
Original post by ?Hannah?

Hi, I have just finished my NEA a few weeks ago and did the same topic as you I used:
Carr, A. (1983). Chesil Beach: Environmental, Economic and Sociological Pressures. The Geographical Journal
Hi there, I know this was posted around 3 years ago but i am doing something very similar to you for my NEA and i was just wondering if you remembered what you used for your literature review in the end as i am struggling to find a good one to use?

Latest