maschro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I know they're a while off yet, but hey.

I was wondering when abouts in year 11 I should start revising? Obviously it's different for everyone - some can get away with the night before, others revise for months.
But, what worked for you guys?

Also, is there anything you wish you had known before starting year 11?

Thanks
ryukk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by maschro)
I know they're a while off yet, but hey.

I was wondering when abouts in year 11 I should start revising? Obviously it's different for everyone - some can get away with the night before, others revise for months.
But, what worked for you guys?

Also, is there anything you wish you had known before starting year 11?

Thanks
The year is going to go by veryyyy fast. Nobody believes it at first, but you will be shocked at how quick GCSE's will come. Revise thoroughly for your first mocks, then your results will determine how hard you will need to work that year. Make all your notes and flashcards at the start of the year for every subject then store it somewhere safe. Then when there's like 2-3months left before the actual exams, start revising and memorising it. If you do that you'll be set for your exams while everybody else will just be starting to prepare then.

I wish I had believed the people that told me the year would go by super fast because it does. This year is going to be the foundation of your future and will determine some aspects of your career. Forget about unserious friends and manage your time wisely. Revise as much as you can but don't forget about your physical and mental health. The summer after year 11 will be the best summer ever. Do spontaneous things, live your best life and make the most of your free oyster card LOL. This will probably be the last summer you will actually fully enjoy, so make the most of it! Good luck for this year and I hope you get the grades you want. Don't give up and be optimistic.
Last edited by ryukk; 11 months ago
anonymoussse
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
anything i wish i had known before starting year 11:
0. decide now which 2 subjects u find the hardest (look at ur worst grades), and focus on them. plan how you'll do well in them
1. no subject is worth stressing over. they're all easy lol just do all the past papers and u'll get a good grade. don't over analyse the textbooks or anything. just learn it ....and go. for english, follow the mark scheme. in order to get a 9, u need to show that ure able to use certain techniques, so just sprinkle those all over ur essays. i rmbr that for lit, u had to mention a lot of context to get a 9
2. mathsgenie is a boss.
3. aim for a* in every subject, not just 4
4. if there's that one particular subject u just can't do well in, focus on it until you get that grade. u'll regret giving up on it (for me it was french )
5. ure supposed to finish all the past papers for each subject before u do the exams.
6. for science, if u know the content with like 50% confidence, u can begin doing past papers. it'll patch up all the areas u don't know
Last edited by anonymoussse; 11 months ago
maschro
Rep:
?
(Original post by miss_ambitious)
The year is going to go by veryyyy fast. Nobody believes it at first, but you will be shocked at how quick GCSE's will come. Revise thoroughly for your first mocks, then your results will determine how hard you will need to work that year. Make all your notes and flashcards at the start of the year for every subject then store it somewhere safe. Then when there's like 2-3months left before the actual exams, start revising and memorising it. If you do that you'll be set for your exams while everybody else will just be starting to prepare then.

I wish I had believed the people that told me the year would go by super fast because it does. This year is going to be the foundation of your future and will determine some aspects of your career. Forget about unserious friends and manage your time wisely. Revise as much as you can but don't forget about your physical and mental health. The summer after year 11 will be the best summer ever. Do spontaneous things, live your best life and make the most of your free oyster card LOL. This will probably be the last summer you will actually fully enjoy, so make the most of it! Good luck for this year and I hope you get the grades you want. Don't give up and be optimistic.
:laugh:
Thanks this is definitely going to help
maschro
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymoussse)
anything i wish i had known before starting year 11:
0. decide now which 2 subjects u find the hardest (look at ur worst grades), and focus on them. plan how you'll do well in them
1. no subject is worth stressing over. they're all easy lol just do all the past papers and u'll get a good grade. don't over analyse the textbooks or anything. just learn it ....and go. for english, follow the mark scheme. in order to get a 9, u need to show that ure able to use certain techniques, so just sprinkle those all over ur essays. i rmbr that for lit, u had to mention a lot of context to get a 9
2. mathsgenie is a boss.
3. aim for a* in every subject, not just 4
4. if there's that one particular subject u just can't do well in, focus on it until you get that grade. u'll regret giving up on it (for me it was french )
5. ure supposed to finish all the past papers for each subject before u do the exams.
6. for science, if u know the content with like 60% confidence, u can begin doing past papers. it'll patch up all the areas u don't know
Thanks

(For me that subject is also french lmao)
Mustafa0605
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Start in year 8
Nathan Forey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you acc want to do well start as soon as you can
maschro
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nathan Forey)
If you acc want to do well start as soon as you can
Do you reckon I should be doing much over the holidays?
chibichibi_xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by maschro)
Do you reckon I should be doing much over the holidays?
You shouldn't do absolutely nothing but don't cram everything. I'd go over everything in year 10 over the summer so you can be prepared for year 11.
FloLemon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I honestly think that if you focus on understanding the content for your mocks in Year 11, and then focusing on having to just recap in the actual gcses is the key to getting high grades. It takes so much time having to completely understand the content let alone make revision resources at the same time. I would so say this is a good idea as many just remember the content but don’t understand it, and if you can understand it you have a much higher chance of actually utilising that content which is what the actual exam questions are made to do in the new exams. The questions tend to never ask for just an explanation but instead you using your previous knowledge and adapting it for the answer. So revise hard for your mocks!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (22)
8.46%
Confident (31)
11.92%
Indifferent (45)
17.31%
Unsure (69)
26.54%
Worried (93)
35.77%

Watched Threads