The Student Room Group

Politics and internal relations what jobs can I get

I am interested in politics and international relations but I was wondering what job could I get? Since the subject is so broad I am still kinda lost

Any advise would be appreciated immensely
There are a tons I suggest you look in to the web site prospects.ac.uk on their things for politics and international relations
Reply 2
Hello, I’m doing International Relations and I did some research into the kinds of jobs available to students majoring in this field. You’re right in saying that it is immensely broad. IR tends to incorporate economics, politics and history with a focus in one - in your case politics. Obviously it’ll be unrealistic to get a job as an economist however, there are plenty of jobs that require a base understanding of all three that, typically, only a student with a degree in IR can provide. Many people, especially those focusing on politics, work for foreign embassies (this, you could say, is the main career path). Others become consultants for multinational enterprises that would profit from knowing the socio-economic and political reality of the countries whose markets they’re operating in. Lastly, there are also jobs in the UN, which take IR students (this is only if you get a masters degree or higher). However, there tend to be more jobs for economics majors than IR majors in the UN.

It should be mentioned that the above options are pretty “high-profile” and would certainly require a high level of achievement in your studies.

I hope this was helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending