not to sure were this should be posted .. ?! pregnant and supposed to be going to uni Watch

pinktrantulas__x
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i've just found out that i'm pregnant .. its come as a bit of a shock!!!
(would hopefully like to keep the baby)
but i'm supposed to going LJM in september ..
I've already sorted out my accomodation and application .. LJM is my firm choice ..
They've just sent me an enrolment form today.

Although I won't actually be able to go to uni in September .. I still hopefully want to go ..
but i'm a bit confused .. how do i go about deferring my application if i've already applied to offers ?!
Chew
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Phone them and explain your circumstances.

You probably are not the first and won't be the last person that they deal with who is in this situation.
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it possible to be at Uni with a baby to look after?
Chew
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MSB)
Is it possible to be at Uni with a baby to look after?
My mum managed it, she had my big sister when she was in first year and she still got her degree.
linkdapink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is LJM close to home? If I were you, I would try and go to a uni as close as possible, as you'll need as much help as you can get. Is the father staying with you? But otherwise just give them a ring and explain the circumstances. They'll be able to help you out and talk to you about the "family accomodation" which is much more suitable for a baby in the mix.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Congratulations on the pregnancy! I'm sure they will be understanding and let you defer it if you contact them.
eviltimmehempire
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lots of universities have special services for people in circumstances such as yourself including family accomodation, day care centres and stuff like that... i saw several such things in almost every university prospectus i picked up... you should have look at their website/prospectus and contact them to inquire about what can be done
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah contact them and ask about deferring. Good luck with it all
pinktrantulas__x
(Original post by linkdapink)
Is LJM close to home? If I were you, I would try and go to a uni as close as possible, as you'll need as much help as you can get. Is the father staying with you? But otherwise just give them a ring and explain the circumstances. They'll be able to help you out and talk to you about the "family accomodation" which is much more suitable for a baby in the mix.
well i live in preston so it'd be easier if i went UCLAN
but since i'm supposed to be moving away from home to liverpool it'd be a bit difficult with a newborn .. especially with not having my family around for support
the fathers still gonna be living at home with his dad .. he didn't want me to keep it .. his only just coming round to the idea that i am going to .. so its hard for him ..

i'm only about 8 weeks gone .. but obviously i need to try and get this sorted sooner rather than later
Gemma_08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would ring the Uni and tell them. I have heard they can be very understanding when dealing with this sort of situation. Good luck with it
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Your best bet is to talk to the university and see what they can do. I've seen that they do have family accomodation etc so you never know.

Good luck.
JoshuasMummy
Report 11 years ago
Yeah give them a ring and ask to defer it for a year. My boyfriend did this when I fell pregnant and the uni was fine about it. Congratulations on the pregnancy!!
beach surf babe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Consider what would be right for you. Universities are really supportive and can help you sort out childcare and suitable accomodation, help with studying etc if you do decide to go ahead with university this year (or any other year for that matter). I expect they will also be happy to defer entry for the year which will give you time to adjust to being a new mum. Either way, I hope things work out! And congratulations as well
pinktrantulas__x
its basically the fact that i'm apparently due in january
so i'd find it a bit pointless going to uni this year
Electric_Dreams
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Perhaps you could defer for a year? It can be done. I remember not long ago there was a girl in the newspaper who went to Oxford whilst bringing up a child. She found out she was pregnant at the same time you have and they agreed to defer her place for a year, which she did and managed to successfully, gaining a 2.1. Most uni's have some form of childcare, but I think you need to contact the uni first.

And yeh, I agree going this year would be a bit daft, but good luck whatever you do!
beach surf babe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well then, get in touch with the university and find out about deferring your entry. I don't think it would be entirely pointless, you going to uni this year. It would be tricky and challenging but still possible to manage ok
Touche
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
CONGRATS!! and good luck

(sorry, I have no useful advice to offer :P)
sammy812
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, first of all, I'd say defer for a year and start next year.
What an aquaintance of me did is have the baby stay with their parents while they were at uni and visit at weekends/holidays. That way you can focus on your studies and the baby is in good hands. (and it's what my ma did with me too)
It depends on if your parents are both working though. If your mom (or dad) doesn't, then that'd be a cheaper option than day care too.
Have you spoken to your parents at all? Are they supportive?
Good Luck and Congrats!
xKarinx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ring the uni and explain. I know someone at JMU, going into second year who found out she was pregnant a few months back and i think she's staying on. She'll be living in special accommodation next year and her situation's been taken into account with exams/coursework and such. It might be best to defer, which you can ask about if you phone, and then start the year after or something.

And congratulations btw
singingstudent
Report 11 years ago
I sound like a broken record, but agreeing with what everyone else has said ring the university as soon as you can!
defer for a year & even see if you could do long distance learning when you do start in sept 2009... or think about doing your degree part time (but obviously it will take longer to complete)
Congratulations too, of course!
Although the father of the baby is important, you should think about yourself in all of this. You're the one who will carry the baby for nine months and you're the one who wants to get a degree! Do what is best for you and don't let anyone influence you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.78%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.59%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.95%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.59%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.08%

Watched Threads