satsun
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I did GCSE French and didn’t really take it seriously at the time, I got a 5. I really want to learn another language, and don’t know how to go about it.

What’s the best way to learn a language fluently, and, crucially, gain a qualification, that companies can recognise?
bzkldn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by satsun)
I did GCSE French and didn’t really take it seriously at the time, I got a 5. I really want to learn another language, and don’t know how to go about it.

What’s the best way to learn a language fluently, and, crucially, gain a qualification, that companies can recognise?
Hi, a language buff here

In my opinion, THE BEST way to learn a language is to become immersed, especially if fluently. I put up post it notes, labelling things in my house in the language, for example, what fridge is in the language you would like to study. It sounds very silly but it gets you very familiar with the language, and another way is listening to music in the language, etc. Also, be prepared to work for it. More difficult languages such as Chinese may require thousands of hours, but a similar language to ours such as Norwegian or perhaps French would require significantly less time. So choose based on your effort level.

As for employability after learning this language, it definitely depends what you are applying for. Still, even if it is not relevant, if you learn the language in your free time it shows dedication.
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The CEFRL is an official European language grade scheme that gives certificates awarding a certain level of fluency in a language, A1 being basic and C2 being fluent. You could look at awarding courses or centres online perhaps? Otherwise having online / private tuition seems like the best way. There are many online learning schools like “Italki”, “Lingoda”, “Rosetta Stone” etc, You can watch the beginning of English With Lucy’s videos for codes with special offers and discounts - that sort of thing. Otherwise you tube videos, Babble and Duolingo are great free options to learn at your own pace.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To learn a language fluenty and being secure in this, here are my experiences I made with people who I am teaching a foreign language:

It is not enough to learn the language just in lessons. Students who are just learning this language at (public) school did not do too much effort. If you are seriously interest in and willing to learn a foreign language, be it French or another one, you need...

... to learn a lot of (basic) vocabularies to understand the meanings, that includes the frequent nouns, verbs, adjectives, prepositions.
... to get familiar with the tenses, regular and irregular ones
... to get to know the declensions in singular and plural
... to pronounciation of the words and the language itself

My advices to you to learn a language effectively and to get it in your long-term memory:

1.) take the time to learn vocabularies by revision cards!
2.) talk to people whose mother tongue is the language you want to learn!
3.) Watching videos and listening to music in foreign language!
4.) reading books, magazines and newspapers in this language!
5.) write the vocabularies you don't know up and add them to your revision cards!
6.) use audio online-platforms or something similar to exercise the pronounciation and get a feeling for the speech melody!
7.) Spend so many hours you can every day with learning to improve your skills daily, 2 hours at the minimum!
8.) To learn to think in the language and to improve your fluent speech, you can stay in front of a mirror and soliloquise.

That is everything I can tell you. Good luck!
Last edited by Kallisto; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.38%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.9%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
6.03%
I need help with my personal statement (44)
37.93%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (29)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.72%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed