Clearing Question Watch

SS__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey Guys,

I was wondering how low would a uni go when considering an applicant through clearing? I hear some unis are very strict and others allow a one or two grade drop?

Any help is appreciated.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SS__)
Hey Guys,

I was wondering how low would a uni go when considering an applicant through clearing? I hear some unis are very strict and others allow a one or two grade drop?

Any help is appreciated.
All depends on how many places they have left.
unblessedcoffee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Eeeehhhh, depends on the place. A place like Cambridge or w/e will be pretty strict. Most places are reasonable I think.

I applied to Newcastle University and got an offer requiring ABB and was accepted with ACC, and that wasn't through clearing.
SS__
Rep:
?
(Original post by unblessedcoffee)
Eeeehhhh, depends on the place. A place like Cambridge or w/e will be pretty strict. Most places are reasonable I think.

I applied to Newcastle University and got an offer requiring ABB and was accepted with ACC, and that wasn't through clearing.
I see. I know this is a hard question to answer but how low do you think a uni like Bath will go considering the standard offer is A*AA? Thanks again
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SS__)
I see. I know this is a hard question to answer but how low do you think a uni like Bath will go considering the standard offer is A*AA? Thanks again
Impossible to say for sure, but I wouldn't expect Bath to drop their grades very much - are they in Clearing for your subject?
SS__
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Impossible to say for sure, but I wouldn't expect Bath to drop their grades very much - are they in Clearing for your subject?
Yep.
unblessedcoffee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Impossible to say, it will literally be how the course managers or whoever feel on the day. If they have plenty of slots etc, eh, who cares, you'll get in. If it's a hugely oversubscribed course in something like (whats popular these days?) economics or a core subject like that. I'd say they definitely would not go lower than ABB, but something like AAA or even A*AB, I imagine you'll be fine if theres plenty of space.

And it's not the end of the world if you end up going with another choice ultimately.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SS__)
Hey Guys,

Any help is appreciated.
Top Unis none. Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL... and very competitive courses may consider 1 grade (but again often they wont drop at all, and only consider this if you have exceptional circumstances).

Top half RG i would say 1 grade is normally accepted (occasionally 2) every other Uni its very dependant on the course and is very hard to determine

lots of ex-poly Unis grades are just a blatant lie and they'll take student who get like 5 grades below sometimes...
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SS__)
What subject?

But yes id expect Bath to still take someone getting AAA, A*AB maybe even AAB
student424
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

What course did you apply for?
SS__
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
What subject?

But yes id expect Bath to still take someone getting AAA, A*AB maybe even AAB
It’s for maths, I was really surprised as I thought a lot of people would wanna do maths, so they wouldn’t be in clearing.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SS__)
It’s for maths, I was really surprised as I thought a lot of people would wanna do maths, so they wouldn’t be in clearing.
So tbf this will be more strict, average grades achieved by students is A*AA for this course so probably max 1 grade slip. But i would imagine how well you do in Math and further math a-level will have a big impact on how much they let u slip on the third A-level...
SS__
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
So tbf this will be more strict, average grades achieved by students is A*AA for this course so probably max 1 grade slip. But i would imagine how well you do in Math and further math a-level will have a big impact on how much they let u slip on the third A-level...
Yh that’s what I’m worried about. I’m confident I got the A* in maths but I don’t think I did as well as I wanted to in Further Maths. My third a level will probz be a B or maybe A.
unblessedcoffee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by student424)
What course did you apply for?
Computer Science
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SS__)
Yh that’s what I’m worried about. I’m confident I got the A* in maths but I don’t think I did as well as I wanted to in Further Maths. My third a level will probz be a B or maybe A.
Well if you get the A* in math you've given yourself a good chance, and have a very good shot.

IF
you miss, its not a big deal with an A* in maths plenty of excellent Unis (some more prestigious Unis such as Bristol or Birmingham) would likely be able to offer you a place in clearing. You've done what you can. Best of luck, either way i'm sure it will work out. (i got an A* in Maths back in the day and got rejected from both my firm & insurance and it all worked out for me in the end, and I can honestly say whatever happens if you have an A* you have the ability and you still have lots of options: go to another Uni, resit, transfer after 1 year, or go there for your masters...).
SS__
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Well if you get the A* in math you've given yourself a good chance, and have a very good shot.

IF
you miss, its not a big deal with an A* in maths plenty of excellent Unis (some more prestigious Unis such as Bristol or Birmingham) would likely be able to offer you a place in clearing. You've done what you can. Best of luck, either way i'm sure it will work out. (i got an A* in Maths back in the day and got rejected from both my firm & insurance and it all worked out for me in the end, and I can honestly say whatever happens if you have an A* you have the ability and you still have lots of options: go to another Uni, resit, transfer after 1 year, or go there for your masters...).
Where did you end up going, if you don’t mind me asking?
uauai
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, if you don't mind me asking, what course did Newcastle accept you on with ACC?

unblessedcoffee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by uauai)
Hi, if you don't mind me asking, what course did Newcastle accept you on with ACC?
Computer Science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (216)
12.39%
Excited (161)
9.23%
Worried (308)
17.66%
Terrified (385)
22.08%
Meh (180)
10.32%
Confused (37)
2.12%