Dancing and being in clubs Watch

Zoombini
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the fact that everyone is saying you need to get drunk first just shows that most people only do it because its seen as 'cool' or 'to get laid', alcohol just lets them get through it.
iloveyou_xx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Zoombini)
the fact that everyone is saying you need to get drunk first just shows that most people only do it because its seen as 'cool' or 'to get laid', alcohol just lets them get through it.
naah that's not it at all. obviously, some people are like that. but i just find that a bit of alcohol (not a paraletic on the floor amount) can give people a bit more confidence. i'm not suggesting that the OP get wasted as a coping technique
blondyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by iloveyou_xx)
i loooove it. im a dancer, and for me, you can't beat a whole night of dancing, drinking and having fun with your friends

but i have some friends who don't enjoy it and it's not a problem. i just do other stuff with them like pubs, going out for meals, cinema and stuff.

you shouldn't be forced into going places that you don't want to go and won't enjoy. just do your own thing.

but if it's just a lack of self esteem that you're worried about, don't! no one cares how you dance, honestly. unless you're one of those people who think you're really good and try to get lots of attention and make a big show of yourself :rolleyes: which i don't think you are. just drink a bit beforehand and relax

I think deep down its self esteem. Its just that i dunno, like i feel theres a big block that makes me not able to do it. I try and i just dont enjoy it, i just cant seem to get my body to move and flow and relax. I feel too stiff if you what i mean. I just dont know how
Reflexive
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do you feel like you want to enjoy it? If so try working on your self-esteem.
iloveyou_xx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by blondyx)
I think deep down its self esteem. Its just that i dunno, like i feel theres a big block that makes me not able to do it. I try and i just dont enjoy it, i just cant seem to get my body to move and flow and relax. I feel too stiff if you what i mean. I just dont know how
if you've tried and you don't enjoy it, then find something that you do enjoy there's no point in forcing yourself to do things you don't enjoy. and as you can see on this thread, there's looooads of people who don't enjoy it!

in a way, it's kind of like me, i really don't like football lol. and atm everyone i know, like my friends and boyfriend, are obsessed with it and euro 2008 and whatever. but i don't enjoy it or find it particularly interesting, so i'm not going to sit there and bore myself to death just because that's what everyone else is doing. i'll find something else to do thats a bit of a weak link lol :rolleyes: but you get my drift
xZainabx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dont drink-ever but I love LOVE clubbing! Ok maybe not night after night but its a good chance to just relax, dance and meet people! U dont alwaysss have to be talking to your friends! Im sure if you try to relax and see yourself in a more positive light, it will just come naturally to you!
Dress up and look pretty, get a few drinks down you and you'll be greeeat!
blondyx
Rep:
?
Hmm, maybe its partly because i don like attention or being noticed because im embarrased and insecure
Awesome-o
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Half of you sound like you're 70
Hispanic-Impressions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Awesome-o)
Half of you sound like you're 70
How open minded.
Witness23
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by masterofdalliance)
****in ALWAYS, and it's ALWAYS right on my ****in shirt that I've ironed and ****, so now I've got this bigass WKD ****in stain on my ****in nice shirt and a stupid ass ****in drunk crazy ***** screaming sorry in my ****in ear but still trying to give me the ****in eye because her stupid drunk logic thinks "HAY I JUST SPILT DRINK ON HIZ SHIRT IF I BAT EYELID HE'LL BUY ANOTHER WUN LOLZ" and yes, she probably would say ****in 'LOLZ' in her ****in head cause she's that ****in **** at life.

So yeah, clubs aren't for everyone, if you don't like em you don't have to go
lol
DannyBoy123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It does make a difference if you go to a decent club. I've been to quite a few, from the spectacularly appalling to the fantastically brilliant. If you've only been out to one club and had a really ****e time don't right them off altogether, there's always gonna be those that attract nobbers and ********s but if you go to a reasonably nice one you can have a fantastic time. Clearly if you go to a rave club like Fabric in London then you are gonna be expected to dance but plenty of clubs have areas where you can just sit down and chill out. If you know you're going to a rubbish club get really drunk and you'll probably still have fun. If you don't drink I would advise against going at all because trust me, been around hundreds of drunk/high people when you are sober is uncomfortable and frustrating.
Wyl
Report 11 years ago
As long as you look like your having fun - without looking too foolish, all is good. Most people are paying too much attention to themselves to notice anyone else anyway.
Erik.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by blondyx)
I feel very uncomfortable in clubs.
Whenever im out in clubs i can't wait to get home. People say, just drink to get more confidence and just pretend and copy other people but that doesnt work. Even when i was out last night, my friends were looking at me weird and said 'i looked awkward and really worried'. A few of my other friends say to me 'r u ok? whats wrong, are u enjoying yourself, cmon smile'.
I really don't enjoy being in clubbing atmosphere. I feel very nervous with loud music playing and lots of people surrounding me. I hate dancing, as i feel like i physically can't get my body to flow and move and people keep encouaging me to do it so i only do it coz think im boring when i dont and i dont want to be left sitting by myself.

I feel even worse because im going to uni in september and im going to be a complete loser with hardly any friends and be very excluded if i dont start liking going to them.
Is this just soemthing i have to work at even harder and learn to enjoy, or should i just accept thats the way i am?
Is it normal to not be relaxed enough to ever let my body flow and dance and this anxious and uncormfatable in loud situations with lots of people?

I guess it doesnt help that i have low self esteem and feel very unhappy most of the time anyway..
I feel exactly the same as you about clubbing.

what I normally do is just only stay at the club for a drink and then go (people normally go to clubs last so you've still attended 80-90% of the night?) then if anyone queries it in the morning just claim drunken memeory loss.

sometimes if im very drunk ill stay on a bit but usually my opinion of clubs is not changed by the experience, I just dont like them, I feel a bit out of my elemnt which is hardly conducive to having a good time. Don't worry, it's not as abnormal as you think!
Reflexive
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As mentioned earlier if you get an opportunity to go to a 'megaclub' it might be worth seeing if you like that. It's a different vibe. With cheese clubs people mostly go to get drunk and so the people behave in a certain way. If you go somewhere like fabric people normally go because they love the music and plus the atmosphere tends to be a lot different and you just feel less 'exposed' when dancing. I would go as far to say cheese clubbing and proper clubbing are almost completely different experiences. Depends what kind of music you're into of course.
hec
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
have a line of coke and a few double vodkas, while trying to recognise how ***** everyone around you is at dancing. especialy as the night goes on, if you're not too wasted, watch everyone else dance. at least where i go people are wrecked before they even get there, i feel like i can dance however the **** i want. ive been clubbing a lot and its not like ppl are standing there saying to each other omg check his dance moves hes barely choreographed that at all, what an idiot.

just get up and move your body, when u realise that people around you aren't recoiling in terror, it just becomes comfortable
blondyx
Rep:
?
i must of had 12 units of vodka the other day when i was at a club and it didnt really take effect. i think its because i was nervous and uncomfortable. so yeah, drinking doesnt help much, it just enhances how i feel.
hec
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if you're determined to enjoy the experience, maybe ur going with the wrong people. i have less fun with some of my mates cos they make me feel a bit awkward, and yet with other mates i can get into my groove..

or theres also the possibility that ur just not a club person, altho tbh if ur like me, being like that would leave u out of most fri/sat nights, and that would suck, so ill try to think what you can do about it.

tbh i think it might be the mates that you're going with, maybe they are so comfortable and confident that u just cant live up to it. i think the answer to that is experience, i definitely got more into clubbing and more comfortable in the environment themore i went.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads