Multi car policy Watch

Yung_M
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Looking to buy a new car which is actually a lower car insurance group than the car I drive now. However, I’m being quoted £3000 for this new car which is double what I paid for my current car.

I share the car with my parents and found that if i add this new car onto my current policy and get a multi car policy, i get quoted £2300 which is much cheaper and also more worth it as its 2 cars instead of one.

My only issue is that my parents don’t drive the car that much to have a car to themselves. It just seems a waste to have a whole car and pay tax/fuel cost when you don’t use it much. But then I really cannot see myself paying 3 grand for a years insurance.

Point is, what are my options? I have heard of adrian flux giving good quotes over the phone so I am going to try them however I doubt they will be able to offer anything under 2 grand (my budget)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Yung_M)
Looking to buy a new car which is actually a lower car insurance group than the car I drive now. However, I’m being quoted £3000 for this new car which is double what I paid for my current car.

I share the car with my parents and found that if i add this new car onto my current policy and get a multi car policy, i get quoted £2300 which is much cheaper and also more worth it as its 2 cars instead of one.

My only issue is that my parents don’t drive the car that much to have a car to themselves. It just seems a waste to have a whole car and pay tax/fuel cost when you don’t use it much. But then I really cannot see myself paying 3 grand for a years insurance.

Point is, what are my options? I have heard of adrian flux giving good quotes over the phone so I am going to try them however I doubt they will be able to offer anything under 2 grand (my budget)
Get a different car.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was going to initially say Tom was being a bit glib, but rereading the OP....yeah, it kind of sounds like you've already explained why the new car isn't a good idea :/

What are the old and new cars anyway? make, age ect? Insurance group isn't always a big factor...my insurance Gp 31 Audi is a lot cheaper for me to insure than my Gp 10-ish Fiesta, likely down to a whole bunch of factors. (I've got a multicar as well)

Who owns the car you drive now? Do you need another car for something, or just kinda want it?...with all the waste/bills ect. Have you had your own insurance policy previously or been on your parents?
Admit-One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, it's not going to be cheaper to run if the insurance is double.

As above, your options are a) a different car, b) keep your existing to get multicar but pay all the associated costs or c) pay the extra. There's no magic bullet sadly.
scorpion95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You could get the multi car cover however if the other car isn't going to be used you could sorn it that way you don't have to tax it or mot it. If you do this it might be best to keep it in mot so that any issues with your other car all you would need to do it tax it to take it off sorn. That way if you still have it insured then you still get the no claims on it which will help lower it in the long run.The only other thing is get another car which will be cheaper.
Yung_M
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Surely the vehicle has to be taxed and mot’ed to be insured? Otherwise wouldn’t it be an invalid policy? Not sure though, you could be right and seems like a good idea
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
16.75%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (29)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (43)
21.18%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (74)
36.45%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (11)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise