PrincipalAgent
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi guys a quick question:

I am a penultimate year at a semi decent Uni (top 15 but top 3 for my degree) but I am really interested in Management and Strategy Consulting. Have AABB for a levels in sciences and maths. I am interning at a firm which looks into Credit Consulting and Political Lobbying. I will also be interning at a Boutique Investment Bank this summer.

I can also now chose to either work as a part time researcher for a (very) Small Strategy Consulting firm or as a researcher at a Think tank. Which one would you recommend I do?

Now given this experience you think I got any chance of an interview with the likes of Bain and BCG?

Your opinions and ideas would be a give me a good idea whether or not I should apply to them or will it be a wasted application.
abshirf2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Go for the one that will give you the relevant work experience needed for the final job you want. IMO I would go for the "researcher" position.
pukey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
On the face of it, if you're "really interested in Management and Strategy Consulting," I would've thought "a (very) Small Strategy Consulting firm" was better than "a think tank."

Really, though, I'm sure it depends on exactly what you'd be doing at these places. I'd be surprised if anyone could give you solid advice based on the information in your post alone.

As for getting an interview, you haven't said what uni you're at or what course you're doing, nor have you named any of the companies you have/you will be working for, but you do seem to have far more experience lined up than most people, so I'd be faintly surprised if you got rejected before interview.
ttx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PrincipalAgent)

I can also now chose to either work as a part time researcher for a (very) Small Strategy Consulting firm or as a researcher at a Think tank. Which one would you recommend I do?
It depends on very much who the two firms are or what work you'll be doing there. If it's a no-name consulantacy with no notable clients versus say ippr or asi then I think it's a no brainer. If it's a no-name thinktank versus a small but prestigous strategy house then likewise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
26.97%
Not great so far... (281)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.34%

Watched Threads