Student Finance Wales Master’s Watch

DiegoC
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I applied for a master’s loan in Wales, they state you can get a maximum of 16k loan and 1k grant if you don’t have your household income assessed.

When I applied I chose to get the 16k loan, however, does that mean I will definitely get that amount or they will assess somehow how much I can get?
Basically the “up to 16k” means how much I choose to apply for or how much they choose to give me?
I won’t have my household income assessed so that will not interfere with their decision.

Also, when does student finance usually pay the first instalment for master’s students?
I will be sending some documentation they asked on Monday but if it takes up to 6 weeks to process I’m afraid I might end up not getting it before my course starts.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiegoC)
I applied for a master’s loan in Wales, they state you can get a maximum of 16k loan and 1k grant if you don’t have your household income assessed.

When I applied I chose to get the 16k loan, however, does that mean I will definitely get that amount or they will assess somehow how much I can get?
Basically the “up to 16k” means how much I choose to apply for or how much they choose to give me?
I won’t have my household income assessed so that will not interfere with their decision.

Also, when does student finance usually pay the first instalment for master’s students?
I will be sending some documentation they asked on Monday but if it takes up to 6 weeks to process I’m afraid I might end up not getting it before my course starts.
You're right, up t o 16k refers to the fact that you can apply for less money if you wish. As long as you meet the eligibility criteria, you should receive the amount you've requested.

Your first payment will usually be within 3 days (ish) of you registering for your course - usually during Freshers week.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiegoC)

Hi Diego,

As PhoenixFortune says, you are simply identifying how much you would like to receive at a maximum.

If you are concerned about the process timescale you can always ask student finance when it should be completed. They have set timescales that update on the daily so they should be able to give you a date.

If for whatever reason it is after your course starts that your application will be updated you could always get in touch with your university and advise them to see if they can give you any advice or instruction for that situation.

I hope this helps.

Patrick:lep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (137)
13.51%
Excited (93)
9.17%
Worried (190)
18.74%
Terrified (230)
22.68%
Meh (78)
7.69%
Confused (27)
2.66%