ErvinBoyes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Despite its lower ranking than many other semi-target universities, is Edinburgh still a good university for breaking into the finance industry? The course I'd like to study is Economic History but only Edinburgh and LSE offer this course, and I can't be sure that I'd get into LSE or whether I'd even want to because of the low student satisfaction. I think I'd be more inclined towards consultancy or accountancy rather than IB. Based on this information, is Edinburgh still a solid choice?
asif007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be. It’s a great university, highly ranked, good reputation etc. Whether or not it’s a target university for investment banks is a different question, I don’t know the answer to that. Obviously I would recommend you to try your luck to get into LSE but if not, Edinburgh is a good Plan B. Have you also considered places like Imperial, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Durham etc?
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by asif007)
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be. It’s a great university, highly ranked, good reputation etc. Whether or not it’s a target university for investment banks is a different question, I don’t know the answer to that. Obviously I would recommend you to try your luck to get into LSE but if not, Edinburgh is a good Plan B. Have you also considered places like Imperial, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Durham etc?
I have, but that would mean studying something other than Economic History, which is what I want to study. I've heard Edinburgh is semi target for IB but Id prefer to go into consulting rather than IB anyways. There is a history, economics and politics course at UCL which sounded good until I found out it was in their eastern Europe and Slavic studies department, so all of the content is based around this. However I am part Bosnian and I am interested in Yugoslavia and it's History, so it's still an option.
Last edited by ErvinBoyes; 2 months ago
asif007
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ErvinBoyes)
I have, but that would mean studying something other than Economic History, which is what I want to study. I've heard Edinburgh is semi target for IB but Id prefer to go into consulting rather than IB anyways. There is a history, economics and politics course at UCL which sounded good until I found out it was in their eastern Europe and Slavic studies department, so all of the content is based around this. However I am part Bosnian and I am interested in Yugoslavia and it's History, so it's still an option.
For IB, I think you would have to consider changing your subject choice to something more Maths or Economics heavy. Subject and university seem to have higher importance for IB. Which is why I would suggest you at least apply for LSE even though it’s not exactly the subject you want. Your chances of getting into IB will be much better at LSE than Edinburgh tbh.

For consultancy I don’t think uni’s are “targeted” as much as they are for IB. So you would be fine at Edinburgh if you want to go down the consultancy route. Depends on you really. If you want to keep your options open for both careers but don’t mind adjusting your degree subject a little bit, go for LSE. If degree choice is more important to you and you don’t mind being at less of an advantage for IB then stick with Edinburgh.
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by asif007)
For IB, I think you would have to consider changing your subject choice to something more Maths or Economics heavy. Subject and university seem to have higher importance for IB. Which is why I would suggest you at least apply for LSE even though it’s not exactly the subject you want. Your chances of getting into IB will be much better at LSE than Edinburgh tbh.

For consultancy I don’t think uni’s are “targeted” as much as they are for IB. So you would be fine at Edinburgh if you want to go down the consultancy route. Depends on you really. If you want to keep your options open for both careers but don’t mind adjusting your degree subject a little bit, go for LSE. If degree choice is more important to you and you don’t mind being at less of an advantage for IB then stick with Edinburgh.
I think I'll stick with Edinburgh even though LSE does offer the same course, but I'll still apply. LSE honestly just sounds like an investment banker factory and I think I'd hate my time there. UCL sounds similar and I'm not sure about their course, but I'll still apply. Regarding the subject, I've seen a few others say economic history is actually better preperation for IB than something like Economics, but I don't know, and it's not why I want to study it anyway. There are also others who say your course doesn't matter, so it's hard to know really. Thank you for your insight!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Despite its lower ranking than many other semi-target universities, is Edinburgh still a good university for breaking into the finance industry? The course I'd like to study is Economic History but only Edinburgh and LSE offer this course, and I can't be sure that I'd get into LSE or whether I'd even want to because of the low student satisfaction. I think I'd be more inclined towards consultancy or accountancy rather than IB. Based on this information, is Edinburgh still a solid choice?
As previous posters have said, Edinburgh is an exceptional university (just a tier below the likes of Oxbridge and LSE etc). Its relatively lower rankings are because of its recent attempts to recruit students from disadvantaged backgrounds by lowering entry offers for them to BBB all the while maintaining offers of A and above for students going to well-performing schools. Its student satisfaction ratings also aren't ideal but that's another problem. Just know that regarding the level of education you'll receive there, it'll be really good.

That said, as others have pointed out, if you're wanting to go into extremely competitive finance / IB jobs you're better off studying something more mathematical/economical. In that regard, LSE would be a better option. You could also consider Warwick which is excellent for its maths-y/economic courses. For example, MORSE is an highly well-respected course at Warwick. :fluffy:
Last edited by Quick-use; 2 months ago
asif007
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think I'll stick with Edinburgh even though LSE does offer the same course, but I'll still apply. LSE honestly just sounds like an investment banker factory and I think I'd hate my time there. UCL sounds similar and I'm not sure about their course, but I'll still apply. Regarding the subject, I've seen a few others say economic history is actually better preperation for IB than something like Economics, but I don't know, and it's not why I want to study it anyway. There are also others who say your course doesn't matter, so it's hard to know really. Thank you for your insight!
Cool. All of them are great universities so I’m sure you will do well wherever you end up. I wish you good luck!
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
As previous posters have said, Edinburgh is an exceptional university (just a tier below the likes of Oxbridge and LSE etc). Its relatively lower rankings are because of its recent attempts to recruit students from disadvantaged backgrounds by lowering entry offers for them to BBB all the while maintaining offers of A and above for students going to well-performing schools. Its student satisfaction ratings also aren't ideal but that's another problem. Just know that regarding the level of education you'll receive there, it'll be really good.

That said, as others have pointed out, if you're wanting to go into extremely competitive finance / IB jobs you're better off studying something more mathematical/economical. In that regard, LSE would be a better option. You could also consider Warwick which is excellent for its maths-y/economic courses. For example, MORSE is an highly well-respected course at Warwick. :fluffy:
I appreciate the suggestion but I'd probably fail at something mathsy, so my thinking is that it is best to take the subject that I enjoy and if I did end up deciding on going into IB, I would just rack up all the possible experience through spring weeks etc to strengthen my application. Is that a viable possibility?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I appreciate the suggestion but I'd probably fail at something mathsy, so my thinking is that it is best to take the subject that I enjoy and if I did end up deciding on going into IB, I would just rack up all the possible experience through spring weeks etc to strengthen my application. Is that a viable possibility?
Sounds like a great idea to me. :fluffy:
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
ErvinBoyes

Just to add something non uni related to the above posts.

I work in the pensions industry and boy, are there a lot of finance jobs in Edinburgh!

When I drove to Edinburgh I was amazed to see so many head offices of familiar names. And when I phone ceding providers, and even different departments in my own company, like as not the person I am speaking to will have a Scottish accent. In fact, one of the people I worked with went to visit Edinburgh and loved it so much, he applied for a finance job there and got it.

If you go to Edinburgh uni, not only is this a great uni in a delightful city, but after your degree it will only be a short hop, skip and a jump to a job in this very finance-job oriented place.

Good luck and here's hoping you enjoy a great career.
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
ErvinBoyes

Just to add something non uni related to the above posts.

I work in the pensions industry and boy, are there a lot of finance jobs in Edinburgh!

When I drove to Edinburgh I was amazed to see so many head offices of familiar names. And when I phone ceding providers, and even different departments in my own company, like as not the person I am speaking to will have a Scottish accent. In fact, one of the people I worked with went to visit Edinburgh and loved it so much, he applied for a finance job there and got it.

If you go to Edinburgh uni, not only is this a great uni in a delightful city, but after your degree it will only be a short hop, skip and a jump to a job in this very finance-job oriented place.

Good luck and here's hoping you enjoy a great career.
That's very encouraging. Thanks for the insight!
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yes.

prep accordingly and apply.

/endthread
xtrembob
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You'll be fine at edin if you join one of the relevant clubs/societies. semi target but fewer applicants than at other unis so it balances out I guess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.37%
It's just nice to be back! (182)
27.49%
Not great so far... (238)
35.95%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.18%

Watched Threads