Leaked Ronald Reagan-Richard Nixon Audio - "those monkeys" Watch

Palmyra
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
In 1971, the UNGA passed Resolution 2758 recognising the PRC as China's representative at the UN (in place of the ROC). The US was opposed to this at the time (and voted against - the resolution passed 76-35).

Now, a leaked phone call from 1971 between Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon reveals how Reagan expressed his disgust of "those monkeys from those African countries" for voting in favour of the resolution.

Reagan also commented that the diplomatic representatives of the African countries were "still uncomfortable wearing shoes".

You can listen to the audio here:

999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
Amazing it is almost as though they were speaking 48 years ago in a different era.
Those naughty Americans. Down with America.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's a good job he's dead or the Grauniad would be calling for him to be impeached. As it is any institution that ever allowed him through their doors will have to be closed and its directors whipped to within an inch of their lives.
Palmyra
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Amazing it is almost as though they were speaking 48 years ago in a different era.
Those naughty Americans. Down with America.
In 1971 this was acceptable discourse? I think not.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
In 1971 this was acceptable discourse? I think not, you lowlife racist apologist.
It certainly was. If you don't believe that then watch a few 1970s films and have a read of what Ofcom says about it:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-of-Ofcom.html

or read this:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/m...racist-as-hell

or take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqcYSHr4Ah0

This is mainstream early evening television, we are talking about. There were, after all, only three channels.

Pointing out the historical context is not quite the same as defending it, you know.
Last edited by Good bloke; 2 weeks ago
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A tv cowboy and a Jew-hating crook engaged in racist discourse?! Well I never...

In 1971 this was acceptable discourse? I think not, you lowlife racist apologist.
The bar was very low for Republicans. Still is today. You'd think the civil rights movement would have instilled some sense into them.
MathsMania
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In the 1970's people COULD get away with this. However we live in a modern, progressive society where we know better.

L i b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm very disappointed in what Reagan said, even if - as I see above - some people are trying to lessen these remarks by the standards of the time.

I still think Reagan was a positive figure. There are very few historical figures without some blot to their name - we cannot simply separately the history into goodies and villains, people are more complex than that.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
I'm very disappointed in what Reagan said, even if - as I see above - some people are trying to lessen these remarks by the standards of the time.
Might one inquire as to why it is appropriate to just people through a modern moral framework? It would come across as at best ridiculous and at worst well...
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)

I still think Reagan was a positive figure. There are very few historical figures without some blot to their name - we cannot simply separately the history into goodies and villains, people are more complex than that.
Reagan was known for being racist. I'm an avid old school hip hop fan and I've seen credible documentaries and articles about their experiences growing up under him and Bush Sr and Clinton. Those three are the main reasons behind the crack AIDS epidemic in coloured neighbourhoods and the drug war. It was all orchestrated by those three. As well as their neglect to attend to social issues and injustices in those communities such as race riots like the LA Riots and police brutality. Now is this something I'm fussed about?! No! But...do I know it to be true. Meh. Yes. The drug war was manmade by those three presidents. And HIV aids was ignored by them too. Sigh.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I mean it's not surprising at all. Just look at the guys policies. It's something that has had a trickle down effect for years unlike his economics. One of the reasons the Western world needs Bernie Sanders to win 2020.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)

The man has been dead for 15 years and out of office for 30. He made these statements in 1971. It's a fairly irrelevant story, ancient history.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
I mean it's not surprising at all. Just look at the guys policies. It's something that has had a trickle down effect for years unlike his economics. One of the reasons the Western world needs Bernie Sanders to win 2020.
Which policies exactly? Not saying you're wrong just, could you tell me which ones indicated he was a racist.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I doubt Sanders is much better, the rich old WASP that he is.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by limetang)
Which policies exactly? Not saying you're wrong just, could you tell me which ones indicated he was a racist.
Well he certainly hated Persians..
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I doubt Sanders is much better, the rich old WASP that he is.
Umm wat?

Firstly, He's Jewish. And yes the guy who participated in civil rights activism in the 1960s isn't much better than a man with racist policies.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Umm wat?

Firstly, He's Jewish. And yes the guy who participated in civil rights activism in the 1960s isn't much better than a man with racist policies.
Wasj doesn’t have quite the same ring to it
And no, he isn’t
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TsrModsSukDiks)

Monkeys are less violent
Imagine being so salty you have to make a hate account to continue spouting nonsense like this
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why would you think not?

I loved how Regan's daughter said it was inexcusable. A mild excuse in it being said in another era by a man born in 1911. Guess what, people born over 100 years ago viewed the world differently to how we view it today.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think the sadder thing is that the PRC was recognised over the rightful owners and leaders of all of the occupied territories the PRC stole. It just shows how corrupt the UN is, people from lesser countries having any say in that is laughable so despite the racism he was right.
Last edited by AperfectBalance; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (168)
13.1%
Excited (111)
8.66%
Worried (235)
18.33%
Terrified (299)
23.32%
Meh (103)
8.03%
Confused (32)
2.5%