Leaked Ronald Reagan-Richard Nixon Audio - "those monkeys" Watch

Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
I think the sadder thing is that the PRC was recognised over the rightful owners and leaders of all of the occupied territories the PRC stole.
Err what territories did it 'steal'?
It just shows how corrupt the UN is, people from lesser countries having any say in that is laughable so despite the racism he was right.
That is not the definition of 'corrupt' by a long shot. If anything it is the diametric opposite.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I thought Ronald Reagen was a good guy
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Napp

Sorry about the quote, it wont let me reply.

China itself, it all belongs to Taiwan (actual chinese government).

How is it not corrupt a country that has and continues to commit atrocities and hold hostage over a billion chinese people being selected as 'the real country' over the actual rightful owner of China (Taiwan)
Last edited by AperfectBalance; 2 weeks ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Napp

Sorry about the quote, it wont let me reply.
All good
China itself, it all belongs to Taiwan (actual chinese government).
I'm afraid nearly the entire world would strongly beg to differ though.
How is it not corrupt a country that has and continues to commit atrocities and hold hostage over a billion chinese people being selected as 'the real country' over the actual rightful owner of China (Taiwan)
The thing is, these people (generally speaking) approve of the current administration and it is seriously dubious theyd wish to be ruled over by Taiwan of all things..
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes I sadly know that people think that the current chinese government are in any way legitimate. obviously the people that have gone through severe brainwashing and control 'love' their government, regardless of who takes over they cannot be allowed to exist as they currently do, what would be preferable is to break up China into many smaller countries and treaty ports be given back to their rightful owners such as the UK and Portugl.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I loved how Regan's daughter said it was inexcusable.
She wants to be seen as 'woke', and does not realise that the word is only used, in that context, of dozy people.
Justvisited
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just wondering why the word "monkeys" in this context is being taken as undoubtedly a racist insult?

The point of monkey behaviour is "monkey see, monkey do". To "ape" means to imitate without thinking. Isn't that what Reagan was complaining about, that various national leaders were blindly following a perceived 'trend' (presumably led by the USSR?) without thinking it through? Why does there have to be a racial connotation to it at all? I stress, in this context, not necessarily others.
Tawheed
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ronald Reagan was a vile and disgusting man, and his utterly inhumane and racist attack on black individuals should never be played down no matter how many right-wingers reminisce the 'good old days' when us 'coloured people' knew our place.

Just goes to show the plight of black people, even in the 70s when his despicable man was president, that their own leader was referring to people of their race using utterly vile racist language.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ascend)
A tv cowboy and a Jew-hating crook engaged in racist discourse?! Well I never...

The bar was very low for Republicans. Still is today. You'd think the civil rights movement would have instilled some sense into them.
That's not how racism works. The civil rights movement tried hard to deal with the type of racism endorsed by racist Americans including ones in leadership such as Reagan and Nixon who was impeached due to the Watergate scandal .
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)
I'm very disappointed in what Reagan said, even if - as I see above - some people are trying to lessen these remarks by the standards of the time.

I still think Reagan was a positive figure. There are very few historical figures without some blot to their name - we cannot simply separately the history into goodies and villains, people are more complex than that.
A complex racist.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think the sadder thing is that the PRC was recognised over the rightful owners and leaders of all of the occupied territories the PRC stole. It just shows how corrupt the UN is, people from lesser countries having any say in that is laughable so despite the racism he was right.
"despite the racism" can you see how foolish this phrase is? Don't make excuses for racist language or behaviour.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mgi)
"despite the racism" can you see how foolish this phrase is? Don't make excuses for racist language or behaviour.
No I cant because the statement isnt foolish, he said something he should not have followed up by some truth, it doesnt make what he said after any less true
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No I cant because the statement isnt foolish, he said something he should not have followed up by some truth, it doesnt make what he said after any less true
Then you need to use more appropriate words then. " Despite" trivialises his racism and you have no real idea that what he said was in any accurate. It would alsi be good if you coild explicitly denoince his blatantly racist comment rather than skate past it to desperately search for some alleged " truth" that you claim he said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (137)
13.48%
Excited (93)
9.15%
Worried (190)
18.7%
Terrified (231)
22.74%
Meh (78)
7.68%
Confused (28)
2.76%