Kyle McNeil
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The GCSE grades are 9-1 but the Foundation tier is 5-1 and the Higher tier is 9-4. How do I know what tier i'm doing for Mathematics and Combined Science? Do you choose or not? How does it work?
olivia.francesca
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don’t choose. Your school will chose based on your ability and your chances of actually passing. Only way to find out what tier you’ve been placed in is to ask your subject teachers
nabilahhh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you’re able to choose. Choose higher
Kyle McNeil
Rep:
?
(Original post by nabilahhh)
If you’re able to choose. Choose higher
Other post(s) say that you can't choose.
nabilahhh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kyle McNeil)
Other post(s) say that you can't choose.
Yh you won’t be able to but you could convince your teachers
Kyle McNeil
Rep:
?
The GCSE grades are 9-1 but the Foundation tier is 5-1 and the Higher tier is 9-4. How do I know what tier i'm doing for Mathematics and Combined Science? Do you choose or not? How does it work?
I don't get why there is Foundation tier and Higher tier in Mathematics, Combined Science, Triple Science and MFL (Modern Foreign Languages) but not in English Language, English Literature, Geography etc.
Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't get why there is Foundation tier and Higher tier in Mathematics, Combined Science, Triple Science and MFL (Modern Foreign Languages) but not in English Language, English Literature, Geography etc.
There’s no tiers in things like English because it’s basically just writing essays on set questions and it’s not like maths or science where the questions get progressively harder and there is different content that foundation tier students would find hard. For English language especially the questions are just set and the same each year and it’s based on how well you can analyse things where there isn’t really a point to have different tiers, not sure about geography ,sorry this is explained so badly but hope it helps in some way
Last edited by Emily~3695; 1 year ago
Kyle McNeil
Rep:
?
This means that it will be impossible to get an 8/9 in those subjects and just get a 5 if you do really good.
Kyle McNeil
Rep:
?
This means that it will be impossible to get an 8/9 in those subjects and just get a 5 if you do really good.
Never mind, I sort of get it now.
Kyle McNeil
Rep:
?
Never mind, I sort of get it now.
I mean, I sort of get why there isn't in English Language and English Literature but I I don't why in Geography or History.
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you can’t tackle the hard af questions then do foundation
username4863238
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry)
they just need understanding and practice, totally possible to get an 8/9 through doing loads of questions
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by eutrophication1)
they just need understanding and practice, totally possible to get an 8/9 through doing loads of questions
if op wants to aim high then of course but if they don’t care for maths and just want to pass then foundation is the way to go
username4863238
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if op wants to aim high then of course but if they don’t care for maths and just want to pass then foundation is the way to go
true... but aiming for a 7 is a safe option if they wanna go to a good uni etc so if they can aim higher, why not
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
true... but aiming for a 7 is a safe option if they wanna go to a good uni etc so if they can aim higher, why not
Not everyone can achieve a 7 and unis don't normally ask for a 7 so why put yourself through the stress of it for no good reason? Unless you want to do a mathematical or scientific course at uni
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s true... but they have to work really hard cause maths is complicated
username4891378
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you can't exactly choose, but you can talk to your teachers about which you feel would be best for you (like, for example, if you need to get a grade that you can only achieve in the higher tier to do a certain a-level in future)
Kyle McNeil
Rep:
?
I am good at Maths but I can do Number questions but I struggle with things like Trigonometry so I might be put in Higher but I don't know yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads