thatholliegirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
So a few days to go now, who's started revision? Who hasn't?

Saw this on last year's thread and I thought it was really helpful:

Should be a good exam. Anyway, keys points to remember for near enough any question, in particular the essay questions, are the basics (not using sociological terms for the simplicity of remembering them):

-Race
-Wealth
-Family
-Values
-Beliefs

Commenting on those alone should get you a good, high mark. If you bring in areas such as job, religion, subculture and education, you're looking at the top end of the scale.

For the source questions, they're easy marks. Just make sure you read it carefully, you have plenty of time.

The two mark questions require you to have learned the sociological terms and thus know what they mean. You need to know things such as what "Peer Pressure" is. Keep it short - like a dictionary definition. Three sentences should be enough at the most.

The three mark questions ask you to pick one of the above areas and explain it in depth. Make sure you actually stick to the one and keep relating back to your chosen areas. You need a paragraph for it at the most.

Then for the nine mark questions, you just need to follow the advice I gave before about detailing those areas and linking your question back to them. You need about two pages and for each point you make, explain how far sociologists would agree. ALWAYS write a conclusion which makes it clear how far sociologists would agree and then summarize your points.

Foundation is pretty similar to higher. The only differences is that there's one more 3 mark question for each unit you choose to answer and the 9 mark questions are only worth 7 marks and have guidance bullet points. The key point to remember here is that the bullet points are only guidance. You'll get lots more marks for drawing in extra areas you know about too, although you should always include the bullet points somewhere.

Hope this helps a bit.
Anybody else got any tips or hints?
olive*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've noticed AQA dont change questions much. I've looked at past papers and questions are fairly similar. What units have you covered? Our school only did four: Education, Family, Social Differentiation (ugh!) and Crime && Deviance.
thatholliegirl
Rep:
?
I have notes on:
- What is Sociology?
- Family
- Education
- Social Differentiation
- Poverty and the Welfare State
- Work
- Migration and Movement
- Crime and Deviance

I'm trying to get as many named Sociologists memorised as possible and trying to find counter arguments. It's really boring :/
olive*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thatholliegirl)
I have notes on:
- What is Sociology?
- Family
- Education
- Social Differentiation
- Poverty and the Welfare State
- Work
- Migration and Movement
- Crime and Deviance

I'm trying to get as many named Sociologists memorised as possible and trying to find counter arguments. It's really boring :/
Oooh where do you get the sociologists names from? That's A* level!
And why havent CGP made a sociology revision guide? Argh. I just finished Crime and Deviance, it's fairly straightforward..but social differentiation? I HATE IT! WITH A PASSION! Its loooooong.
thatholliegirl
Rep:
?
We were taught them in class. If you'd like a copy of my notes, I could type them up for you. I know! The lack of revision guides is awful and there's hardly anything on the internet either.
olive*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thatholliegirl)
We were taught them in class. If you'd like a copy of my notes, I could type them up for you. I know! The lack of revision guides is awful and there's hardly anything on the internet either.
Aww that's very sweet! But I don't want to waste your time Thankyou though! Hmm I've stolen a textbook from school :p: Kinda useless unfortunately.

http://www.tutor2u.net/sociology/edu...structure.html

Not bad
x
BlondeNorfolkGirl
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm doing:

Family
Crime and Deviance
Education
Poverty and the Welfare State

As well as the compulsory What Is Sociology thing.

I accidentally left most of my notes at school but I have a big textbook (Sociology Alive, it's a really old edition though) that my teacher gave me.
tilly xoxo
Report 11 years ago
i cant belive that i actually chose to do this as well as my options there's sooooo much to read and the exams 2morrow argh!!!

azn-wonder91
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tilly xoxo)
i cant belive that i actually chose to do this as well as my options there's sooooo much to read and the exams 2morrow argh!!!

oh god it's 00:01 and ive just got into revision

12 and a half hrs until the exam!!!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
braceface
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm starting my real revision now, a little over an hour before the exam haha. I'm not too worried though, I've revised pretty hard throughout the year.

Good luck to everyone!
olive*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How was itttt?
BlondeNorfolkGirl
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I thought it was difficult in places. Question 1e I'd never done anything about in class, for Family I didn't have a clue why people are marrying later in life than in the past, and for Poverty I forgot to revise voluntary organisations (did manage to think of something to write though)!

But I don't think I did too badly considering those things!
Petit chou
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Aren't you given names of sociologists for GCSE?
Do you go through theorists like functionalists and Marxists?

I want to see if i can do GCSE Sociology just to have another GCSE lol
BlondeNorfolkGirl
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, we're given names of sociologists but I think I've only needed to learn 3. I don't remember learning much about functionalist, Marxist etc.
Petit chou
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Weird, GCSE is completely different to A Level.
kirstiebaby
Report 11 years ago
anyone happen to know the grade boundary to get a C in the foundation paper? reply comment or message me it plz much luv kirstie xox
angelisagoona
Report 10 years ago
OMIDAYS

sociology is just a waste of my life...cant beleve i chose to do this for gcse now i got exam on it on wednesday

i dnt give a damn really
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads