The Student Room Group

Biology/Zoology Personal Statement?

Hi! I'm applying for Zoology at University of Bristol for 2020, but I just can't seem to figure out how I want to lay out my personal statement, or what is expected? How technical and in depth do I need to be? While I have a huge passion for learning more about certain elements e.g. learning about specific pathogens and how they affect the body, or the way synapses fire off in the brain, my real drive for zoology is simply understanding animals to the point where we can provide the best care for them based on their biological needs, as really that's the only truth we have in terms of what is right or wrong for them based on research studies.

I'm really really bad science wise but I'm determined to prove to myself that I can do this, when I want to do something I do it and I will throw myself at a task and give it 120%. I'm not sure what I need to write about in my statement specific to zoology or if I even know enough on the subject to make a compelling statement? Please help with any advice or tips!
What about putting what have you done extra for the course that you want? e. g. What science journals you have read in your spare time or what topics have you studied further. Also put any experience that might help your student life or course. You can also mention why you like that specific course. Remember any experience is valuable (even a science trip with your class to park or helping your own pet at home), just think how you can make connections to what you wanna do. Also just an opinion, there are always opportunities to push your limits even in things that you might think are easy. Do not choose something that you will have to spend 3 years or more just for the sake of trying yourself. Choose it if you love it. I think spending 120% of your energy to turn something average to good can be put on turning something good to excellent. Unless there is something that you really love. These all are my opinions but I wish you all the best in whatever you chose to do. Good luck! :wink:
Reply 2
See I haven't really read any journals or anything, I've just read vet books or read online for answers for assignments. I can talk about what I find interesting but I don't have any reading material to support it because I've never really felt the need, it's always covered in enough detail in classes or in shows like the ones Hank Green does. I find it hard to find material about biology or psychology that gives me knowledge while simultaneously entertaining me or being thought provoking, there are definitely things I've looked into but they aren't really biology based, they're to do with welfare and there isn't a lot of scientific evidence to go with it so I don't know how relevant it is to the course because most of the units are to do with biology and biodiversity and stuff like that. I just haven't had much experience with that area of animal care.
Original post by EBurlton
See I haven't really read any journals or anything, I've just read vet books or read online for answers for assignments. I can talk about what I find interesting but I don't have any reading material to support it because I've never really felt the need, it's always covered in enough detail in classes or in shows like the ones Hank Green does. I find it hard to find material about biology or psychology that gives me knowledge while simultaneously entertaining me or being thought provoking, there are definitely things I've looked into but they aren't really biology based, they're to do with welfare and there isn't a lot of scientific evidence to go with it so I don't know how relevant it is to the course because most of the units are to do with biology and biodiversity and stuff like that. I just haven't had much experience with that area of animal care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-48706251

my alma mater produces a lot of research on things like this. go into the journal article of something like this, do you have any critique? or does it spark any interest in you? etc etc.
Reply 4

What do you hope to do after your degree. To be honest I am not sure zoology is the right course for you. Have you considered vet nursing or animal welfare as zoology is science based. What A levels are you studying?
Hi! I'm applying for Zoology at University of Bristol for 2020, but I just can't seem to figure out how I want to lay out my personal statement, or what is expected? How technical and in depth do I need to be? While I have a huge passion for learning more about certain elements e.g. learning about specific pathogens and how they affect the body, or the way synapses fire off in the brain, my real drive for zoology is simply understanding animals to the point where we can provide the best care for them based on their biological needs, as really that's the only truth we have in terms of what is right or wrong for them based on research studies.

I'm really really bad science wise but I'm determined to prove to myself that I can do this, when I want to do something I do it and I will throw myself at a task and give it 120%. I'm not sure what I need to write about in my statement specific to zoology or if I even know enough on the subject to make a compelling statement? Please help with any advice or tips!

I am a second year Zoology student. For my personal statement I read like 3-4 books related to animals/evolution/climate change, watched a few documentaries and read a few New Scientist articles and then in my statement I would state an aspect of what interested me about the subject and then give examples of this interest from the books. For instance I would write that I was curious about animal intelligence and their use of tools and then give a few cool examples of them doing it. Base it around your key interests though. Also write about current/future research to show that you're 'with it' as well as mentioning some of your hobbies and other interests to set you apart from the other candidates. Don't worry if your first draft is ****. My first draft of my personal statement literally started with 'I really like animals', don't think it can get any worse than that haha. I would recommend not talking about biology A-Level stuff or anything you learnt in school.
Reply 6
Original post by Scotney
What do you hope to do after your degree. To be honest I am not sure zoology is the right course for you. Have you considered vet nursing or animal welfare as zoology is science based. What A levels are you studying?

I am studying animal management. I don't want to go into vet nursing, it's not something I'm interested. I want to do zoo management but I don't have any unis near me that do it and due to commitments close to home I can't travel far so zoology was my other option. I find the science side of things genuinely interesting and I enjoy connecting the dots and finding a true understanding of the animal and using this information to support welfare. I just don't know if I have enough material to quote or reference in my statement.
Reply 7
Also I study biology and animal health as part of my animal management course at college but don't do any a levels. Even so I have passed two years in a row with the highest possible grade so it's clear that I'm academic. I got a distinction in my biology exam.
Reply 8
Also I study biology and animal health as part of my animal management course at college but don't do any a levels. Even so I have passed two years in a row with the highest possible grade so it's clear that I'm academic. I got a distinction in my biology exam.

Sorry I plainly got the wrong impression of your post. Apologies! I think the advice given above re personal statement are very good but will just offer a note of caution re zoology for zoo management. The key thing you need to look for are courses that have either a year placement or one which has strong links to zoos for placements. This is a highly competitive market and without work experience you have little chance of getting any job in a zoo. Contact a few zoo's and ask them what the career pathway looks like. This career can be achieved but you need to be realistic about how to maximise your prospects.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be a zoology based topic. If it is something that can make a connection to your interest or has a use in what you want to study you can put it in. I talked about a philosophy book in my personal statement and I’m studying biochemistry. But I recommend to read about some topics more than what they are covered in your classes. Remember you don’t need to really learn or understand high level stuff, they are just to develop your interest further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending