zootzoot
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was wondering whether universities run extra modules that you can do that aren't a part of your degree and would be unrelated, i guess run as extracurricular activities.

For example, if I were to take a chemistry degree, would some universities have extra modules in Computer science or finance that I could take that could be separate from my degree or do would I have to look at short courses online outside of the university?
Thanks

(Not sure which forum category to put this under)
maride276
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
itisinpossible
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zootzoot)
I was wondering whether universities run extra modules that you can do that aren't a part of your degree and would be unrelated, i guess run as extracurricular activities.

For example, if I were to take a chemistry degree, would some universities have extra modules in Computer science or finance that I could take that could be separate from my degree or do would I have to look at short courses online outside of the university?
Thanks

(Not sure which forum category to put this under)
Some unis offer modules from other subjects as optionals, but part of the degree. I seem to recall Sheffield offer a wide range in year 1. I cant see why unis should put on extra courses for fun as they cost money and take up resources. You might find you get lectures ad hoc or some discussion if you join a departmental society.
zootzoot
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Some unis offer modules from other subjects as optionals, but part of the degree. I seem to recall Sheffield offer a wide range in year 1. I cant see why unis should put on extra courses for fun as they cost money and take up resources. You might find you get lectures ad hoc or some discussion if you join a departmental society.
I guess so. I've heard that Imperial do run some extra lessons in programming/coding for everyone at a basic level, well at least for chemistry. (But not sure how this works)
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
my uni has these modules that are "universal"
it means that if you have optional modules and they fit with your timetable, you can take modules in literally any discipline
you can take pretty much any language and in my first year I did an astronomy module
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads