julija
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Can somebody briefly explain what is each module about and what knowledge does it require?
I've finished C1-C4 (I quite enjoyed C4) and M1, M2 (didn't like it at all) btw it's OCR exam board.
So if I prefer pure maths, what 6 modules should I take next year? FP1, FP2, FP3, D1, D2, DE, S1, S2, S3? Any opinions?
PS. I would like to get as higher final grade as possible
Guitara
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think you'd have to do all the FP modules, I really enjoyed D1 (AQA, but it shouldn't be that different I think) and Stats was really easy too.
julija
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guitara)
I think you'd have to do all the FP modules, I really enjoyed D1 (AQA, but it shouldn't be that different I think) and Stats was really easy too.
what's D1 about? I looked at the book but didn't get it
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You have to do FP1 for an AS level in FM and FP1+FP2 for a full A level, and it's an extra 2 applied modules per year
musically_minded
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well FP1 you have to take, as well as one or both of FP2 and FP3. FP1 is easy, don't have experience with FP2 but FP3 is hard but ok if you revise loads. S1 and S2 can in my experience be fun or a pain, depending on if you like it, I quite enjoy them. A lot of people don't like D1 and D2, but I like them as I can see how they can be applied to be used in computers. D1 and D2 are also very easy to do well in, as long as you don't underestimate them. D2 only has 5 distinct areas, all of which are simple enough.

If I was in your position I would choose S1, S2, D1 and D2 (as well as FP1 and one of FP2 or FP3). These are the only ones I have experience with, but I know at least that I liked them (and arguably they are the easiest).
dkdeath
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would say do FP1 ,FP2 if you like C4. Ive done both and the concepts such as imaginary numbers, polar coordinates and the level of depth it goes into for integration and differentiation is pretty mind intruding. I've really enjoyed the course and found it the most interesting from all my subjects
Daniel Freedman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by julija)
Can somebody briefly explain what is each module about and what knowledge does it require?
I've finished C1-C4 (I quite enjoyed C4) and M1, M2 (didn't like it at all) btw it's OCR exam board.
So if I prefer pure maths, what 6 modules should I take next year? FP1, FP2, FP3, D1, D2, DE, S1, S2, S3? Any opinions?
PS. I would like to get as higher final grade as possible
What are you planning to do at university?
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it's supposed to be about the maths dictating the working of computers and algorithms, and does a little bit of topology. Personally I hated it, I found it tedious, useless and any actual mathematical beauty was sucked out of it. Apparently D2 is much better though.

If you like Pure stuff I'd advise doing FP1-3, M1,2 DE, or FP1-3, a couple of S or D modules and NM (if they do that on other exam boards, I've not seen anyone but MEI do it).
Guitara
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Uhm, I don't know about ocr, but what I did was path problems (following algorithms, so literally the easiest thing ever if you can memorise them and that's easy in itself), lots of algorithm stuff, not "proper maths" as one of the maths teachers said, but I taught myself in a weekend and ended up with 97 in the january module. I found it one of the easiest modules you can get, I doubt it would be much harder for other boards.
julija
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daniel Freedman)
What are you planning to do at university?
I'm thinking about joint honour: maths and economics
Daniel Freedman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm thinking about joint honour: maths and economics
Then definitely do all three of the pure modules.
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JoMo1)
it's supposed to be about the maths dictating the working of computers and algorithms, and does a little bit of topology. Personally I hated it, I found it tedious, useless and any actual mathematical beauty was sucked out of it. Apparently D2 is much better though.

If you like Pure stuff I'd advise doing FP1-3, M1,2 DE, or FP1-3, a couple of S or D modules and NM (if they do that on other exam boards, I've not seen anyone but MEI do it).
whats DE and NM stand for?
Daniel Freedman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Annaconda)
whats DE and NM stand for?
Differential Equations, and Numerical Methods.
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For economics do statistics, you will definitely need it at university level (econometrics is pure evil apparently)

I taught myself S3, I'm revising it now, hard work... Don't expect it to be easy! Perhaps do the DE module as opposed to one of the FP's (I'm not sure about this as I do Edexcel)
julija
Rep:
?
Now I'm confused about D modules as opinions are slightly different :rolleyes:
IChem
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Daniel Freedman)
Differential Equations, and Numerical Methods.
Are these really seperate modules? They arn't for Edexcel...
musically_minded
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Now I'm confused about D modules as opinions are slightly different :rolleyes:
Most people I know find it easy, some find it hard and hate it, others find it easy and hate it (they don't see the point, it is different from other maths modules). If something like S3 will be of more use to in the future, and you think you can cope with it being harder, then go for it. If you want something that you should easily be able to revise and do well at, do the D modules. As it stands I'm going to do Maths with Computing at uni, so a basic knowledge of algorithms is probably useful. It's not as if it really matters though imo as you can easily teach yourself if you are missing some of the basics for your course.

We didn't have a choice at our school, as they only taught 12 modules, but if I had a choice I would stick with what I got.
julija
Rep:
?
considering everything, I think I'll stick with FP1, FP2, FP3 (not sure), S1, S2, D1
Daniel Freedman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by IChem)
Are these really seperate modules? They arn't for Edexcel...
I know, it's quite strange. I'm on Edexcel, but these are separate modules on OCR.
SouthernFreerider
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
D1 is the worst exam in history. it depends 100% on teaching. if you get taught it right its easy. if not, its impossible. its all about how you write the answers not, NOT the right answers, so imo, its not maths at all. its just ****.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.32%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.13%
Not great so far... (256)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.74%

Watched Threads