The Student Room Group

EPQ literature review

Hello! I really need help as my supervisor doesn't reply to my emails for the past month.

I am wondering whether a literature review is necessary for the 5000 essay. I am doing a topic related to Economics.

if yes:
Q1) What is the format of the literature review? I know there is a table format and the traditional paragraph format but how I do approach these and what's recommended?
Q2) Also, I already have a separate document table with all sources I read, which I summarized and evaluated for credibility. Am I just suppose to condense that into a paragraph to the literature review in my essay?
Q3) Also, what am I supposed to actually write about in the literature review?
Q4) Does the literature review count in the word count of 5000 words??

A detailed answer would be very much appreciated.
YES 100% needed!!

Q1) I did both a table and a traditional written one if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can find my one and maybe I could send it to you?
Q2) All the sources you have read and come across will not make it into you final lit review as those that lack credibility should not be used. They should still be kept in your table of sources though.
Q3) again, I'll look and see if I can find mine, but from what I can remember, it's kind of like a mini research paper. Where you discuss how you conducted your research, what sources you found, and what they have told you about your topic.
Q4) I didn't do the dissertation option, so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it would.

Any more questions... ask away!
I'm making it my mission to find my EPQ, I got an A in it.

Good luck!
Original post by Cereidee
YES 100% needed!!

Q1) I did both a table and a traditional written one if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can find my one and maybe I could send it to you?
Q2) All the sources you have read and come across will not make it into you final lit review as those that lack credibility should not be used. They should still be kept in your table of sources though.
Q3) again, I'll look and see if I can find mine, but from what I can remember, it's kind of like a mini research paper. Where you discuss how you conducted your research, what sources you found, and what they have told you about your topic.
Q4) I didn't do the dissertation option, so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it would.

Good luck!

In my opinion my topic itself doesn't really match with the purpose of the literature review. The literature review in a dissertation is usually used to compare contrasting source opinions in terms of agreement and disagreements, evaluating the validity of source and stuff like that. But my topic doesn't have contrasting views significant enough to mention and plus I can write about the evaluation of sources in my source table.

Is it compulsory? Isn't it that we are allowed to choose the format of our essay depending on what's most appropriate on my topic?
Original post by Cereidee
YES 100% needed!!

Good luck!

Because usually, most EPQ questions are like debate type questions. For example "is it this or is it that"? Then you give sources for each side of the debate in the literature review but in my case, there aren't really any sides to mention so....

I hope you get what I mean. I know I will have source evaluation of credibility, source summary, source usefulness in my table of sources. So can I just do only the table seperately? Because if I have nothing to write about related to the main purpose of a literature review (showing contrasting opinions), I don't know what to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending