What are the secrets to gettings straight a/a*? Watch

Mrgd291190
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Being able to properly capitalise and punctuate your username :p:

But seriously, a mix of natural ability, hard work, a good support system, confidence and luck.
Glutamic Acid
Badges: 16
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What kind of nonsense is this? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That'd be your thread, sir.
Superman_Jr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Googling? Or Googleooglelglingalingaling?
http://elgoog.rb-hosting.de/index.cgi

Pawned!
Reltub
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Googling? Or Googleooglelglingalingaling?
:troll: :troll: :troll:
Miss Monkey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Work hard over the 2 years on homework/coursework etc, revise a lot for the final exams, and pray for nice papers
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sam...:D)
Becuase you can't "naturally" know an entire syllabus of work...
Not inherently, no; but the process can be pretty much an altogether passive affair. Moreover, if (as in English Language, English Literature and, to some extent, History) you're being assessed largely on 'transferable skills' (i.e. rhetorical, linguistical, analytical, argumentative), and by way of an 'open book' examination, pure talent can suffice. The only 'A*' that I actively revised for was History.

I apologise if this strikes you as arrogant, but I really do wish that people would stop generalising their experience to everybody else.
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not inherently, no; but the process can be pretty much an altogether passive affair. Moreover, if (as in English Language, English Literature and, to some extent, History) you're being assessed largely on 'transferable skills' (i.e. rhetorical, linguistical, analytical, argumentative), and by way of an 'open book' examination, pure talent can suffice. The only 'A*' that I actively revised for was History.
My point still remains
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Superman_Jr)
http://elgoog.rb-hosting.de/index.cgi

Pawned!
It's spelt 'Elgoog', actually; though, in light of recent events, I can see how that might confuse you.
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's spelt 'Elgoog', actually; though, in light of recent events, I can see how that might confuse you.
Off topic i know, But what is wrong with ending a sentance with a prepostion?
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Be very clever or work really hard or a bit of both
Superman_Jr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol i hate you
Melting Sugar.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Poshtotty)
I think it's unfair to say that some people can naturally do it.
erm not really.. I know a few people who can turn up to lessons, do the minimum amount of work without much effort yet still get high grades..
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Superman_Jr)
lol i hate you
Who doesn't hate him?
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Melting Sugar.)
erm not really.. I know a few people who can turn up to lessons, do the minimum amount of work without much effort yet still get high grades..
Im sure these people do alot of work at their home... u just wouldnt know about it.
Superman_Jr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Who doesn't hate him?
I don't.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My point still remains
She framed a dichotomy between "natural" proficiency (which, she implies, cannot possibly exist) and "hard work" (which she asserts as pre-requisite to higher attainment). As I did no 'work' beyond the constraints of what was absolutely mandatory within the GCSE curriculum, it would be spurious to say that I 'worked hard' relative to anyone else who undertook the bare minimum necessary not to be expelled from school; ergo, my achievements in English Lit., English Lang., Maths, Physics and German were the result of 'natural' (innate) ability as opposed to 'hard work'. Of course, it holds true that I would have been required to procure the relevant stationery, set my alarm, get dressed, and subsequently turn up in order to submit my paper an hour or two afterwards; but so was everybody else, and hence this is a moot-point.

So, no, your point doesn't 'remain'. Though it is excessively pedantic.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Off topic i know, But what is wrong with ending a sentance with a prepostion?
Nothing, really. Unless you're the sort of person that insists upon advocating outmoded grammatical concepts for no particular reason.
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nothing, really. Unless you're the sort of person that insists upon advocating outmoded grammatical concepts for no particular reason.
Ok just wondering, because you have a cartoon sketch on your profile which suggested ending a sentance with a preposition is wrong.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Pay attention to every word you are told in class. Develop a good attention to detail, and scrutinize everything instead of just learning it. If you don't understand a concept/detail fully, or there's something else you want to know about the detail, ask. If at any point you find you are regurgitating something without knowing what it means, then your chances of getting an A are lessened.

To take things further (this mainly applies to A Levels):

In Social Sciences (especially psychology) it's important to learn the basic concepts behind every approach and research method, so that you can apply the methodology/ideas and positives/criticisms to any situation.

In any essay writing topic, it's essential that you know the material that you've learnt back to front, not just the stuff you'll write in the exam. Once you're sure you know that, you should then start revising ideal answers, not before, as knowing the material helps you to remember the select bits that you want to write for the exam. Learn to pick and choose what to right on the fly, should the need arise.

In Maths and the maths-like bits of Physics, the concept and methodology of every principle should be crystal clear in your mind. If it isn't, you'll be caught out by an unexpected question in the exam.

In any Science subject, revise like feck.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You are aware that your way of using the english langauge makes your comments extremally boring and tedious to read. Hence i gave up reading your comment after the word "dichotomy".
So yes, my point does still remain, until you can provide an argument in a standard of english which is more commonly used.
I see that you hail from the 'la-la-la-I'm-not-listening' school of debate. Jolly good; though you ought perhaps to consider that ignoring a comprehensive refutation on a public discussion forum doesn't nullify its efficacy, and hence this is nonetheless 'your loss'.

Alternatively, perhaps I'll simply refuse to acknowledge any subsequent points until you learn to type properly. It's all good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
9.52%
They might tell the bully (4)
19.05%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
14.29%
It might lead to more bullying (7)
33.33%
There's nothing they could do (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads