What are the secrets to gettings straight a/a*? Watch

Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sam...:D)
Ok just wondering, because you have a cartoon sketch on your profile which suggested ending a sentance with a preposition is wrong.
It also suggests that wizards exist, and gravity doesn't. I wouldn't read too much into it if I were you.
m_shebli
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
i got 5 A* and 4 A from just solving past papers.
find pastpapers from 10 years and solve em all. eventually all the questions become repeated and u almost memorize the mark schemes. in that way any question they give you wudnt b new. thers bound 2 b a couple of new questions but u may know them.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its interesting how long it takes you to reply. Clearly this bourgeoisie way of speaking you insist upon using does not come naturally to you. Which i find amusing, as it just makes you look like a wannabe
My multi-tasking and caffeine-addiction are 'interesting'? If you say so; though your resorting to ad hominem in lieu of cogent argument makes you self-evidently cretinous.

Wow, thirty seconds. Not bad; I guess that that coffee-injection must already be working its magic.
mr_cool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wanting to actually get straight A's, then putting in the work, but you have to actually want to get them.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
EDIT: I think you misunderstood my point. Its not that i had "ran out of arguments" and so resorted to the 'la-la-la-I'm-not-listening' phase. I was just trying to point out that if you want people to actually read what you have to say and take you seriously, you should write in a less formal way.
I've been using TSR for nigh on four years, and, when it comes to debate, people take me plenty seriously enough. I think I'll live.
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
My multi-tasking and caffeine-addiction are 'interesting'? If you say so; though your resorting to ad hominem in lieu of cogent argument makes you self-evidently cretinous.

Wow, thirty seconds. Not bad; I guess that that coffee-injection must already be working its magic.
Well that post was a disappointment! The standard of language was nothing compared to what ive seen from you before, shame on you.
I just wish i carried on critical thinking for A2 so i could understand and actually care what you mean by ad hominem in lieu of cogent argument , but fortunatly for me i decided to carry on more worthwhile subjects
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been using TSR for nigh on four years, and, when it comes to debate, people take me plenty seriously enough. I think I'll live.
"people take me plenty seriously enough", now im no english language expert, but im pretty sure that doesn't make sense...

and i can assure you, i don't
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
actually it does make sense.
Donald Duck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Concentrate in class, think about it outside of class and think through the logic. Then if you really must obtain a certain great, lots of revision too
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"people take me plenty seriously enough", now im no english language expert, but im pretty sure that doesn't make sense...

and i can assure you, i don't
Excellent. As indicated previously (and for the reasons cited), however, it's quite categorically your loss.

It's called 'colloquialism'; it's also ironic. Are you both a snob and an inverted snob simultaneously? Because I daresay that would constitute a paradox, and a hypocritical one at that.
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
When we're talking about GCSEs, you can get an A* with pure revision. You don't *need* intelligence, but it obviously helps. However if we're talking about A-Level (especially subjects like Maths, which requires logic to find the method to answer a particular question), then I'd say that you have to have a bit of savvy about you to get an A.
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Now what was that 'witticism' that compares arguing on the internet with the Special Olympics?
Perhaps you should stop before you get near the finish line.
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are you both a snob and an inverted snob simultaneously? Because I daresay that would constitute a paradox, and a hypocritical one at that.
Im a snob to you, yes
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
urm okay...
Do your coursework to the best of your ability first time round, it will save you alot of time and effort...buy a couple of revision guides per subject--some topics may be explained better in one than the other...do lots of past papers for subjects like science and maths...that's it really
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

"Trying to have your cake and eat it too is bad form, you know"
yes, i did know that... but thanks for the advice

I might make it my mission to give you negative feeback everyday, just because i can, and see how long it takes for yours to go down
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well that post was a disappointment! The standard of language was nothing compared to what ive seen from you before, shame on you.
How many people compose their best argumentation spontaneously, and since when has that been the most prudent or the most efficient approach? In any case, as you've taken it upon yourself to adopt such a petulant, impertinent and altogether personal tone; I can virtually guarantee you that I am vastly more articulate and eloquent, both spontaneously and otherwise, than you've any hope of ever becoming.

Of course, you'll have to take my word on that (though I'm sure I could garner corroborating testimony from TSR members who know me personally); but then, such is the art of empty rhetoric (which you seem to espouse).
Poshtotty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Becuase you can't "naturally" know an entire syllabus of work...
Yes exactly. Thank you, you've saved me from having to explain my point, although I assumed it was easy enough to understand.

Off topic slightly, I noticed on your profile you do french for A2. I start AS french this September. What's it like?
somewiseguy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its interesting how long it takes you to reply. Clearly this bourgeoisie way of speaking you insist upon using does not come naturally to you. Which i find amusing, as it just makes you look like a wannabe

EDIT: I think you misunderstood my point. Its not that i had "ran out of arguments" and so resorted to the 'la-la-la-I'm-not-listening' phase. I was just trying to point out that if you want people to actually read what you have to say and take you seriously, you should write in a less formal way.

What on earth are you on about? His 'use of the English language' is perfectly understandable and I don't think many (apart from yourself evidently) found problems taking his point 'seriously', especially as it is a valid one-that proves your own point wrong. Let's face it, he is right and you a) can't understand the English language, or b) can't think of anything else to say that is in any way valid.

And if you are smart-don't pick fights with people who have a far better reputation than yourself
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Poshtotty)
Yes exactly. Thank you, you've saved me from having to explain my point, although I assumed it was easy enough to understand.

Off topic slightly, I noticed on your profile you do french for A2. I start AS french this September. What's it like?
C'est très dur! well its not too hard if you work hard from day 1. Make sure you learn some vocabulary each week and do grammer exersizes at least every other day. ... I didn't and now i regret it, but im cramming it all in for my my exams so its all good .
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"Trying to have your cake and eat it too is bad form, you know"
yes, i did know that... but thanks for the advice

I might make it my mission to give you negative feeback everyday, just because i can, and see how long it takes for yours to go down
Are you familiar with the myth of Sisyphus? Well, anyhow, notwithstanding the fact that it isn't possible to rep someone more than once each month, you've precisely no rep-power as of my negging you; so, be my guest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.5%
No I haven't decided yet (42)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.5%

Watched Threads