What are the secrets to gettings straight a/a*? Watch

Reltub
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
I'd rather engage in exquisite badinage with my fellow countrymen than mundane, banal, exasperating small-talk with foreigners, most of whom will have been raised from birth to speak a far higher standard of English than I could likely hope to attain in their tongue without immersing myself in an alien culture for years at a stretch. I like German, but I've no current intention of living in Germany.
^what an ignorant comment. People don't learn a language for the sole reason of actually being able to have a conversation with a foreign person. People learn langauges to show respect for foreigners when they are in their country.
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why don't you bloody well learn some? We're not all obligated to take tremendous and inordinate pains to condescend to your rudimentary parlance every time we wish to communicate anything more sophisticated than 'how much are these turnips?' or 'where's the well?'.
Gorden Bennet! Why are you so unpleasant and rude?
Carl Sagan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sam...:D)
^what an ignorant comment. People don't learn a language for the sole reason of actually being able to have a conversation with a foreign person. People learn langauges to show respect for foreigners when they are in their country.
Surely it's up to the individual as to why they learn a language.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Have you ever been to Wales?

If it's no imposition upon the indigenous population (which, increasingly, it isn't), I'd rather have a lucid, meaningful and hence potentially edifying discussion/cultural interchange in our mutual lingua franca than a haphazard and mutually-frustrating altercation which exposes the near-inevitable (and probably woeful) disparity of my competency in, say, Polish relative to their fluency in English, which they will have been raised to speak alongside their mother-tongue. Were I to anticipate problems in this regard, I'd memorise vocabulary sufficient to tide me over while on holiday (and to avert unnecessary complications), or else I wouldn't go. Speaking as one who has no desire to travel extensively, let alone to non-English-speaking provences, devoting the best years of my life to the pursuit of becoming serviceably proficient in languages I'll never have any need for would be a futile exercise.

I'd sooner speak one language with supreme confidence (and eloquence) than several to a mediocre standard.
Arnie Pie In The Sky
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

If it's no imposition upon the indigenous population (which, increasingly, it isn't), I'd rather have a lucid, meaningful and hence potentially edifying discussion/cultural interchange in our mutual lingua franca than a haphazard and mutually-frustrating altercation which exposes the near-inevitable (and probably woeful) disparity of my competency in, say, Polish relative to their fluency in English, which they will have been raised to speak alongside their mother-tongue. Were I to anticipate problems in this regard, I'd memorise vocabulary sufficient to tide me over while on holiday (and to avert unnecessary complications), or else I wouldn't go. Speaking as one who has no desire to travel extensively, let alone to non-English-speaking provences, devoting the best years of my life to the pursuit of becoming serviceably proficient in languages I'll never have any need for would be a futile exercise.

I'd sooner speak one language with supreme confidence (and eloquence) than several to a mediocre standard.
Why do you have to speak like as if you are in an exam?
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Gorden Bennet! Why are you so unpleasant and rude?
^^^^^^^^ excuse me, but can you please write in english?
Quid pro quo, usually. Alas, when it comes to self-improvement, I don't much believe in the concept of noblesse oblige: insisting that everyone else dumb-down in order to accommodate your ignorance, particularly when their sentiments aren't even explicitly addressed to you (or, for that matter, particularly obtuse), is to my mind the very epitome of feckless arrogance.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
^^^^^ how is this related to the topic of the thread???
MicrosoftYellow
Report 11 years ago
Quid pro quo, usually. Alas, when it comes to self-improvement, I don't much believe in the concept of noblesse oblige: insisting that everyone else dumb-down in order to accommodate your ignorance, particularly when their sentiments aren't even explicitly addressed to you (or, for that matter, particularly obtuse), is to my mind the very epitome of feckless arrogance.
Can someone please translate whatever message Profesh is trying to convey into something that I might better be able to understand, like Yiddish or that Bushman clicking language? As it stands, I have no idea whether Profesh is seriously claiming that the only way to expand one's mind is with drugs -- or maybe even chocolate -- or if it's simply the case that I find his stances symptomatic of a dangerous but spreading mentality. But first, let me pose you a question: Is he actually concerned about any of us or does he just want to increase people's stress and aggression? After reading this post, you'll indubitably find it's the latter. The moral of the story: Insidious harebrained-types and fatuous, bilious antagonists will join forces by next weekend to outrage the very sensibilities of those who value freedom and fairness.
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

and i suppose you take the viewpoint that improving your mothertongue to an unecessary standard isn't a "futile exercise"?

....I must be frank, I am enjoying arguing with you
Arowana123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Secret to getting straight A's? Going to a fee paying school. Around 50% of Oxbridge students come from fee paying schools, despite only 7% of UK students going to fee paying schools. Says it all.
Carl Sagan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Arowana123)
Secret to getting straight A's? Going to a fee paying school. Around 50% of Oxbridge students come from fee paying schools, despite only 7% of UK students going to fee paying schools. Says it all.
Intelligent people are generally successful and therefore can afford to send their children who inherited their intelligence to private schools?
Arowana123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by joshm)
Intelligent people are generally successful and therefore can afford to send their children who inherited their intelligence to private schools?
Haha, you seriously believe that? I assume you go to a private school. Nothing to do with smaller class sizes, better teaching, atmosphere at the school etc? I think to say that intelligence = money is ridiculous by the way.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
and i suppose you take the viewpoint that improving your mothertongue to an unecessary standard isn't a "futile exercise"?

....I must be frank, I am enjoying arguing with you
Of course. I've already supplied perfectly valid reasons as to why - reasons consistent with reason - and those reasons are entirely my prerogative. All of which demands the question, reciprocally: why do you feel the need to be multi-lingual? Are you frivolous, ambitious, or simply deluded?
im so academic
are you saying that only students that come from fee-paying schools get straight a/a*?

and are you also thinking that all the students in state and grammar schools don't even have the decency to get a*?

basically in my opinion, from that post i think that you're saying that the grades of a and a* are reserved for students that attend private schools;

and also that you have to pay a £100,000 "congestion charge" to get a*?

i doubt that every single student that "graduates" from a fee-paying school actually gets straight a* with distinctions, merits, Nobel prizes, MBEs...

may i go on?.............
rushhour72
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
sleepin wid the examiner
Arowana123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
are you saying that only students that come from fee-paying schools get straight a/a*?
No, but most of them do. And students from state schools obviously can, it's just much harder. Understand the concept of averages? The average results from private schools are higher, not EVERY SINGLE result.
im so academic
And students from state schools obviously can, it's just much harder.
Much harder? This is just nonsense...

but can I just say, why is it "harder"?

Surely getting straight a/a* is just having dedication to your exams, coursework etc....

not the school you go to!!!
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Of course. I've already supplied perfectly valid reasons as to why - reasons consistent with reason - and those reasons are entirely my prerogative. All of which demands the question, reciprocally: why do you feel the need to be multi-lingual? Are you frivolous, ambitious, or simply deluded?
I've already supplied perfectly valid reasons as to why - reasons consistent with reason - and those reasons are entirely my prerogative
But i will repeat my reason for you once more. To show respect for other people, other than my "fellow countrymen"
Carl Sagan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Haha, you seriously believe that?
Well yes. You can't assume that the quality of education someone recieves is the sole factor in which university they go to.
I assume you go to a private school.
No, I went to a pretty average comp.
I think to say that intelligence = money is ridiculous by the way.
Hence why I said genereally as there are obvious exceptions, which is something that is undeniable.
Arowana123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
Much harder? This is just nonsense...

but can I just say, why is it "harder"?
Many factors, like class size, quality of teaching, work ethic at the school. Generally there is less ****ing about and more working going on at private schools. At a state you have to go at the pace of the class, even if you're a straight A student. Then theres the fact that parents who send their kids to private schools usually support them more and want them to do well. But mostly it's the quality of the school. So yeah, it is a lot harder, and the statistics back it up.

(Original post by joshm)
Well yes. You can't assume that the quality of education someone recieves is the sole factor in which university they go to.
I never said it was the sole factor, but obviously it is a factor, seeing as 1/3 of oxbridge students come from 100 schools. If you went to an average comp and did well then fair play, but don't deny that private school pupils have a massive advantage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.8%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.4%
Not great so far... (229)
35.45%
I want to drop out! (125)
19.35%

Watched Threads