How do you choose your university to go to

Watch
Pany5689
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve no idea how to choose which university to go to or what degree I even want to do for that matter. How do people decide? I know I don’t want to be hundreds of miles away so I will stay in the south. I see people saying they want to go ‘here, here or there’. Then when I ask why they want to go there they say they ‘just do’. I’ve been to university open days and I’m like ‘it’s just a uni’ they all get you a degree. I see people saying they hate their university and wish they went somewhere else. I don’t want this to be me. Please help me on how to decide as I will be applying in the next couple of months!
A.shaquile
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Follow
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When it comes to applying, if you don't know what degree to do, don't. Take a gap year or apply through Extra/Clearing if you change your mind and still want to start in 2020. Course should be the first thing you decide on - then you pick the right universities for that course.

For me the main deciding factor was "what do I actually want to learn more about". It had to be physics; well, I had been dead-set on doing aerospace engineering for 6 months back in year 12 but changed my mind. So 3 of my uni choices had actually been ones I picked with aerospace engineering in mind... but they were good for physics too. The remaining two I just tacked on because they seemed pretty good. I visited all of them and eventually decided which ones I'd firm, which one I'd have as my insurance and which ones I'd decline.
I didn't really pay attention to location, except that like you I didn't want to go too far - just to save hassle when going to and from. Most distant one was probably 2 hours away.

League tables are useful in just giving you an idea of which unis offer your subject and which are decent at teaching it (don't pay too much attention to rank, within reason). You'd just browse through, see if there are any that interest you as locations. But if you can't think of anything you'd want to learn about for 3-4 years and maybe use in a career, don't take out a hefty loan for it.
username4889668
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don’t do the thing where you look on league tables and choose the first five. As above, league tables are useful in showing you:
1) which universities actually do your course
2) different universities’ overall reputations

Personally, I knew the one university (which I firmed) that I wanted to go to because my sister actually goes there for a different course. For my other 4 choices, I honestly based them on location and how they compare to my predictions. It’s quite ‘pointless’ to say you want to go to Uni X if they require A*AA and you’re predicted BBB for example.

I think the general rule is to apply to one or two ‘risky’ options, one or two safe options, and one or two options that aren’t necessarily ‘safe’ but ‘realistic’.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (94)
27.81%
No (244)
72.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise