motherfunky
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Exams on thursday guys.. how you preparing for it?
AshJames
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh my, I need some serious help with this! I can never get above a B on past papers.

How do you structure your answer?

I tend to write about one fully, then write about the second text, linking back to first, then write about third, linking back to second and first - as opposed to integrating everything together which just ends up confusing me.

What is the key to succeeding in this exam?

As for preparing for it, I don't know. You can't really do an awful lot, except know the conventions of texts.
motherfunky
Yeah thats the same as me! I never get above B

Generally I write about two texts which share similaries.. say A and B .. writing about text A in more detail.. then I contrast text B with text C.. and just try to balance it out in general.

Im just trying to look through examiner reports and the one past paper mark scheme they have on the website! and just basically pick up on the things theyre looking for. I despise 18th century texts! I find it so difficult to approach them! Im scared of being in the exam then choosing the wrong question where I can't find anything to write about then its too late

FUUCK im scared loool
AshJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
choosing the wrong question? Isn't there just one question, where it's just a comparative analysis or something?
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've got this exam next Thursday. I seriously need help structuring this exam.
I don't even know where to begin! And yeah there is only one question, well it's more of a statement - 'compare and contrast blahdiddyyblah'

I generally structure this by writting an intro, like saying What texts A/B/C are when they were written etc etc.
Then start analysing Text A, then text B and then Text C individually, then compare them all, linking them, then its just a big blur!

Has anybody got any examiner notes to post on here - i would be so grateful and rep you!!! =]]
AshJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it wise to avoid the whole 'The author has used archaic language' for the older text?

ARGHH, this exam is 40% and I know nothing.

Anyone got an exemplar of an A grade piece?

How much should we even aim to write? My teacher has been so vague!
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AshJames)

How much should we even aim to write? My teacher has been so vague!

Same here! I just have noo idea about this exam. And its not one of those exams you can litreally revise for lots of times a day. Because its just terminlogy etc etc.

Omg, 40% of marks?? Really.
Do you know how much Unit 5 and 4 are worth? i think i messed up in those exams.
motherfunky
oo by choosing the wrong question i mean like.. you know how you get two sets of texts...you have to make a snap decision bout which set you're gonna use..and im scared of choosing one where you cant write bout it!

yah with the eighteenth century texts you can write about archaic language.. jus say how its unfamiliar with a modern audience.. and maybe you can mention something bout the historical/cultural/social context

examiner reports are on the website
AshJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There are 2 sets of text? ekkk

I thought the material just consisted of 3 texts, and you just have to do the question on them?
motherfunky
nope theres two sets! you get a choice between them.. but its the same question for both of them.. and there will always be an 18th century text.. dammit! i think im just having trouble satisfying all the assessment objectives.. theres too much to remember! and you have to cover all of them equally right
AshJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yep you do! My teacher has always stressed how the 18th century text is often the discriminator between grades, so write just as much as you would for the contemporary ones.

Are you quite apt with using terminology? I don't feel too confident at the moment. We haven't really learnt anything beyond the basics of semantics, lexis, word classes, sentence types and the such - and I really think you need to impress the examiner with this exam as it underpins your whole 2 year study.
motherfunky
i've been trying so hard to get the terminology right this year cause I was soooo shiiit it at last year.. and finally Im getting somewhere!

Here's a good site full of terminology although some of them are a bit advanced

http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/schemes.html

the good ones to remember are the repetition ones.. anaphora.. anadiplosis.. antistrophe

antithesis is a good one when contrasting.. plus binary oppositions

always look for a cohesive structure.. perhaps the repetition terminology just mentioned may be relevant here.. and look for deictic references recognise the cohesion

hope that helps a bit!
AshJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks for the link! I hope someone comes along who had sat this exam a previous year and knows how to tackle it and get an A!

Off subject, but I had learnt the rhetorical devices hypophora and anaphora just before my Writing for different audiences paper and I managed to fit them in, aha, I was so happy. Did you find that paper okay?
motherfunky
Is that the unit 4 paper? I didn't do the exam one for that because I did the coursework! I reeeeally wanna know what I got but my ******* teachers insist on not telling us because grade boundaries might change blah blah blah

ooo wait what does hypophora mean again? loool

how did you find unit 5 paper?
AshJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hypophora is when you pose a question then answer it yourself, often used to persuade. For example if you were conducting a speech on the topic of young people taking drugs you might say: So how many young people take drugs? Well, quite a lot in actual fact - 12%.

Was unit 5 the wider reading?
motherfunky
ooo I see thanks.. woohoo look at us revising here loool

yep that was the wider reading one.. I was doing metaphysical poets and translations.. the paper was good but I did reeeally bad and wrote all the wrong kinda stuff
AshJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did Translations as well. I thought the questions were brilliant and fair, although I thought my answer didn't show off my knowledge or skills at all, considering I know the play so well.

Under exam conditions I just get nervous, it's horrible!

I chose the context question, which basically was a pretty generic question. You had to focus first on the scene of Marie and Yolland and the whole 'leap' thing, so I mentioned the significance and linked it to the themes. Wrote how Yolland was outcasted yadda yadda. Brought the other characters in somehow, but could have wrote a whole lot more, and included more lit&lang terminology.
motherfunky
Yeah I chose that translations question too! I was SO happy that question came up because that scene is so good to analyse! And you could relate it to themes and everything! I think I was just lacking in the linguistic analysis and I really think thats going to put me down I plaaastered my book with notes thank god! Now I have the trouble of rubbing out all my notes so I can give it back to my school! What an effort :p:
AshJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ahaha, same! I really think I would have been penalised if an invigilator checked my annotation, my book was grossly annotated, but I knew it wouldn't have got checked, so it was worth the risk. Some people were taking blank copies of Translations in, or copies without hardly any notes! Sheeesh.

Yep, the section was brilliant!
motherfunky
Yeah in the other thread they were talking about how their teachers said you weren't allowed an annotated copy in! I would have DIED in that situation.. my teacher checked my book and gave me that look like you've written WAY too much.. but she let me anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads