Report 11 years ago
BUMP, anyone else got any advice?
Scouting for Girls
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AshJames)
ARGHH, this exam is 40% and I know nothing.
Are we sure about this? I thought it was 20%...?
AshJames
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
40% of the A2 mark, I have been told.
Withoutadoubt
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AshJames)
Are you quite apt with using terminology? I don't feel too confident at the moment. We haven't really learnt anything beyond the basics of semantics, lexis, word classes, sentence types and the such - and I really think you need to impress the examiner with this exam as it underpins your whole 2 year study.
Same here, only learn what asyndetic lists were on Monday. Not sure how many of those technical terms in the link we will need, I have enough trust in my teacher not to have short-changed the class.

Think being able to talk about the attitudes and values is the most important aspect. Would be very good if we could grill people who got A's.

It is 40% of A2 like Writing for different audiences & purposes last year was 40% of AS. Guess which one I had to resit.
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
God. i'm not looking forward to this exam. How is everyone revising for this?
Withoutadoubt
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Miss.Naughty)
God. i'm not looking forward to this exam. How is everyone revising for this?
A few cursory glances at old work on it. Looking at a couple of past papers, one given to us in class, the other off the edexcel website. Got a revision less tomorrow perhaps, not entirely sure what we'll do, but should be enough. I'm a believer in doing the learning in class throughout the year rather than elsewhere tbh.
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Withoutadoubt)
A few cursory glances at old work on it. Looking at a couple of past papers, one given to us in class, the other off the edexcel website. Got a revision less tomorrow perhaps, not entirely sure what we'll do, but should be enough. I'm a believer in doing the learning in class throughout the year rather than elsewhere tbh.
Yeah, i have a double lesson on Tuesday, so i'm hoping i will feel more confident after it!
I have a past paper in which a past student did, also have past homeworks i have done. So i will look at these and revise terminology i think.

:|
motherfunky
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yep thats about all we can do to be honest! I think the only way you can prepare is knowing how you're going to structure your essay. How you're going to plan your essay. What kind of stuff you're going to look for. Know your terminology and thats it!
Scouting for Girls
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do you reckon a good way to structure your essay would be to do a paragraph on Text A, then a paragraph on Text B and then a paragraph on Text C and repeat that the whole way through? That way you're comparing as you go along and you analyse the texts in detail.
Triggerishappy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We were given a mnemonic to remember:

This Purple Aubergine Tastes Foul Said Colin
T = PATFSC
Text = Purpose, Audience, Topic, Form, Style, Context

If you go through Text A using this then through Text B using this whilst comparing to Text A and finally through Text C using the mnemonic and comparing with both you cover EVERY aspect of what they are looking for and you compare all texts - works for me anyway
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was looking at a past paper earlier and they structured it like this:

1. INTRODUCTION.
- discussed purposes
"The three texts are all very different..."

2. Text A Discussion.
- Talk about Text A in regards to Stylistic Features like
Register and use terminology.

3. Text B Discussion.
- Discuss Text B in contrast to Text A and comment on Text
B's stylistic features.

4. Text C Discussion.
- Discuss Text C in contast to the other 2 previous texts.
And again comment on stylistic features in this specific text.

5. Attitudes and Values conveyed.
-Discuss attitudes and values individually and apply to all 3 texts.
Discuss in detail with exapl.es.

6. Literally and Language Features
They sometimes ask you to comment how your knowedge of lang and lit features has helped you to do the essay. The person in this past essay concluded their essay by writing about this saying how 'studying certain genres' has helped them.

Would this make a good essay structure do you think?

I think the person for this essay got a low A grade.
Triggerishappy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wouldn't like to split up my terminology points etc from my attitudes and values points - seems a bit of an odd way to do it to me...
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no i don't think the essay did, it was the way i worded it. She/He included terminology in all points in structure.
Triggerishappy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh I see, I still would stick to my method though!
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah that's cool, i mean if it's the way you learnt and know it, theres no point learnign a new method. What are you aiming to get in the exams, and how have you been doing so far?
I get B's and thats it- can't get any higher
But at the end of the day B is pretty good and i need it to get into uni.
Triggerishappy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I want an A in Geology which is perfectly achievable imo, a B in Maths and a B in English becuse of my S*ITE mark at AS, I got BBD, D for coursework and I didn't know I could re-do it until March! Oh well, I got an A this year (for coursework, unmoderated obviously) and the first exam went fine so who know, could be a bit better! You?
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well it sounds like your doing well - whatever and however your doing it!

I did absolutley rubbish last year in AS. Got a D in Desk Study ( Unit 2) and C in 'The Spoken Word' (unit 1), but got a B in unit 3. So i retook units 1 & 2 this year and hoping they will bump my overall grade up - heres to HOPING! We didn't have the coursework option!
But im really hoping to get a B. If i get that then, i will one happy student!

It doesn't actually help that one of my english lecturers is an absolute moron at teaching and has been away and 1/2 the year.

Oh well!

I'm not looking forward to this exam because i feel you have to write loads, but fingers crossed. I'm hoping they pick 3 good texts to analyse for us!
Triggerishappy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its not necessarily a 'hard' exam I think, it depends how much you know - I think the only way to prepare is to go through random texts, open a book and try to pick bits out, the same with the paper - the hardest text I have ever come across is from The Times in the 19th century, it was about a woman who saved a man from drowning and it was only a few lines long with nothing in it! I hope nothing like that comes up!
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh god me too! Doesn't sound that nice. Hopefully they will be nice to us this year!
Haha. Chances of that happening. Zero. Nada.
Yeah i don't think its a hard exam as such, i just mean that you have to comment, on what seems alot and use appropiate terminology and give examples.
Which is sometimes complicated if your confused about a certain genre a text is when it isn't that clear.

Like today, i had a look at a past paper and one extract, was about 6 lines long. And it didn't adopt any conventions from genres at all!

Overall, i'm just hoping i structure it right and don't go 'off topic' in the exam and totally shut down!

AshJames
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wouldn't have a separate paragraph for attitudes and values as often this can easily be linked with other aspects. Makes your analysis much more cohesive and fluent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads