Miss.Naughty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah i was thinking that, because if you do another seperate paragraph for att/vals you might repeat yourself of things you've already covered. So, good point :P
AshJames
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This might help some... Basically below is an indicative list of stuff the examiner looks for in identifying and analysing. I don't have the actual papers, so sorry! Of course everything isn't listed, and further marks would have been rewarding for these.

KEY TERMINOLOGY/CONCEPTS:

TEXT A
- a journal
- personal record of impressions rather than events
- elliptical, telegraphic style
- unconventional grammatical structures
- lexical/semantic approaches significant
- poetic and colloquial registers
- multi-layered linguistic and literary approaches

TEXT B
- eighteenth century reportage
- informative and persuasive
- historical features
- some unfamiliar lexis (Note: Avoid assertions such as 'This is not grammatically correct' and careful with the whole labelling lexis archaic.
- grammatical and lexical approaches significant

TEXT C
- guide book genre
- informative with an entertaining element
- cohesive organisation
- graphological features to aid accessibility
- employs literary techniques

and there's so more, I haven't time to type it out just yet, but is it any help to anyone?
Withoutadoubt
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AshJames)
This might help some... Basically below is an indicative list of stuff the examiner looks for in identifying and analysing. I don't have the actual papers, so sorry! Of course everything isn't listed, and further marks would have been rewarding for these.

KEY TERMINOLOGY/CONCEPTS:

TEXT A
- a journal
- personal record of impressions rather than events
- elliptical, telegraphic style
- unconventional grammatical structures
- lexical/semantic approaches significant
- poetic and colloquial registers
- multi-layered linguistic and literary approaches

TEXT B
- eighteenth century reportage
- informative and persuasive
- historical features
- some unfamiliar lexis (Note: Avoid assertions such as 'This is not grammatically correct' and careful with the whole labelling lexis archaic.
- grammatical and lexical approaches significant

TEXT C
- guide book genre
- informative with an entertaining element
- cohesive organisation
- graphological features to aid accessibility
- employs literary techniques

and there's so more, I haven't time to type it out just yet, but is it any help to anyone?
I'm thinking we should talk about what makes 18th century texts different to later ones. Obviously you wouldn't want to talk about archaic word choices from c.300 years ago, unless you just came back from there in a time machine. Similarly, unless you're very well read you can't correct their syntax.

What are Diachronic language choices?

What does "elliptical, telegraphic style" mean?

That stuff seems very helpful Ash.
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah it's helpful thanks

For archaic historical texts, i would also see if there are any capital letters midsentence, and my teacher told us, aswell as being the norm to write like that in previous decades, it also denotes an emphasised idea in the text.

EDIT:

just found this on the Edexcel website for January's last year unit papers. I thought there were some good points so here we go:

http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Repo...s_20070815.pdf

It goes through what examiners find higher bands did and lower bands aswell.

If someone cannot openthis link or it doesn't work, tell me and i can copy and paste :P
motherfunky
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
You know when you write about attitudes and values.. is it more than just stating.. "this shows the attitude of the writer lalala"... would you get the higher marks through showing evaluation of the text within its social/historical/cultural context?
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
erm, you can probably extend it so: this is a vague example but.

"The writer uses 1st person singular 'I' throughout the text. The writer's use of this suggests an attachment of theirselves to the text. This therefore is reflective of the writer's attitude of the text...blahdiddyblah"

And by all means if the writer includes any references, social historical biblical, you could discuss this saying the writer values his religion/ etcetc. And comment further. Linking it with atts/vals.
motherfunky
do you have like BLATANTLY state that you're talking about attitudes and values.. because then i feel like im repeating my self alot if i say "this shows the writers attitude lalala" for every text.. do you think the examiner could infer that you're talking about attitudes and values without actually saying it all the time loool i realse how stupid that sounds!
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by motherfunky)
do you have like BLATANTLY state that you're talking about attitudes and values.. because then i feel like im repeating my self alot if i say "this shows the writers attitude lalala" for every text.. do you think the examiner could infer that you're talking about attitudes and values without actually saying it all the time loool i realse how stupid that sounds!

no, not at all. It's a good point, actually. I think when you are discussing attitudes and values you should state that it is attitudes and values your talking about. Because if you don't - the examiner may be wondering what your try to say. However if it's obvious like attachment for example, i think that itself suggests your talking about attitudes/values.

It basically all depends on what your trying to say! If it's something not that obvious, link in with attitudes and values, state it!

Either way i think it won't affect your marks, unless your not detailed enough. or clear.
motherfunky
Yeah I guess it's just safer to make it obvious right because then at least they'll get the point! I'm really nervous for this exam! It's my last chance to get the B I need.. or possibly the A I need given I think I TOTALLY flopped maths.. damn OCR and their hard maths
Scouting for Girls
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Field Specific lexis/Semantic Field is one of the key things to mention but what if there's no field specific lexis in the text? Do you say that?
Withoutadoubt
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Scouting for Girls)
Field Specific lexis/Semantic Field is one of the key things to mention but what if there's no field specific lexis in the text? Do you say that?
How can a text fail to describe its topic? I wouldn't worry about that, there'll always be field specific lexis.
AshJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, remember that the subject is English (duh) you don't need to dumb your analysis down by writing 'this shows the attitudes and values' you can do it much more implicitly which will show a much more sophisticated style. The examiner will know when you've met that requirement through your expression.

As for your query SFG, I wouldn't worry. Focus more on the language used and what effect it gives, rather than making vague comments about there being a semantic field because there's 3 mentions of different fruits or whatever.
Triggerishappy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Withoutadoubt)
How can a text fail to describe its topic? I wouldn't worry about that, there'll always be field specific lexis.
Its good to point out things like that if it should be there i.e. if you had a diary (you were told it was) but it was written in complete sentences and had a feel of being planned you could say - "...although we are told that this is a diary, the sentence structure seems to indicate more of a journal type piece..." or something along those lines.

You get marks for stating EVERYTHING in this exam!
motherfunky
I'm SO nervous for this exam! I'm trying to do past papers but I'm getting really stuck on how to plan and structure everything great timing the day right before the exam Thing is I have been doing essays all year its just these past couple of weeks I've been revising for other subjects Help please!
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm SO nervous for this exam! I'm trying to do past papers but I'm getting really stuck on how to plan and structure everything great timing the day right before the exam Thing is I have been doing essays all year its just these past couple of weeks I've been revising for other subjects Help please!
Firstly - CHILL! and positivity for this exam please!
I'm hec of a nervous too, but it's not going to get us anywhere.

Right, today should be considered as last minute revison, so what's everyone doing?
I'm planning to revise conventons for an hour in a bit. Then look at past papers later and see what i've done in class.

I think the exam is in the afternoon tomorow so we have the morning to revise? I'm guessing we are all in the same boat here.
motherfunky
Yep pretty much! To be honest last years paper was a bit dodgy I think because most of the other past papers we have done are quite similar.. e.g connected through poverty.. travels.. archaeological findings.. the environment.. and this ones to do with love & separation/being isolated with others.. hmmmm

could someone tell me about the conventions of reportage please
motherfunky
this site is quite useful btw http://www.litnotes.co.uk/textanalysis.htm
AshJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In terms of structure, go for for analysing TEXT A first. Make sure you understand the content and what it's all about. Describe this briefly and it's purpose. You can then link all your analyse of the language used and devices to the purpose and possibly audience. Then go onto TEXT B analyse that then make some comparatives with TEXT A, then TEXT C you compare to TEXT B and A so that way you won't miss anything out.
motherfunky
Yeh thats what I usually do. Start with Text A then find a text which is similar to this text.. then with the last text I just contrast them with the others .. so in the end theres a balance of contrasting and similarities.. you know for the conclusions would you just re iterate your points
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Right i don't know if this will help anybody but here are some convnentions of specific genres. Will be vague but will hopefully help people!

Reportage
-Chronological order
-Emotive language
-Personal? Bias?
-Rhetorical Questions.
-Imbedded narrative
-Exclamatory sentences
-Hyperbolic lexis
-Imagery (Metaphors and Similies)
-Active Verbs
-1st person singular - attachment
-mentioning of 3rd persson - narrative voice.
-Indirect reported speech
-Complex sentences
-Pronouns - authenticity
-Diectic references 'There' etc
-Mixed registers
-Adverbial
-Semantic Connotations.

Does anybody want me to go through over genres?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads