motherfunky
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Nice one! Can I just ask does anyone know what an embedded exposition is.. i remember hearing that word somewhere but I forgot what it is
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
sorry haven't heard of that before, perhaps it may be bias imbedded narrative?
motherfunky
what does that mean?
wifofito
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My teacher told us to analyse a text like this:

- at sound level (contraction, interruptions, alliteration, accent, etc) --mainly for written speeches/dialogues..

- at word level (lexis, semantic field, puns, etc)

- at sentence level (morphotsyntax, simple/compoun/comples sentences, syntactical variation, rhetorical qs, etc).

- at text level (the overall style, attitudes and values, purpose, audience, etc)

However, I don't know if I should apply this structure to tomorrow's paper. If this is indeed the right way to struture the essay, when how would you do it?

Texts A, B and C on sound level (compare between them)
Texts A, B and C on words level (compare between them)
Text A, B and C on sentence level.... etc

OR

Text A on sound, word, sentence, text
Text B on sound, word.... (compare to A)
Text C on sound, word.... (compare to A and B)

Which way do you think is less time consuming? It'd be nice if someone posted a model essay

Oh and please tell me how to do an intro. Mine's always weak and repetitive.
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well embedded narrative means a story within a story - doesn't it?
So by being bias or exposition it means it's there to be biased and make a point and reflect the writers attitude. I'm not sure?
motherfunky
Ok first what the fudge is morphosyntax??

In your intro.. jus put how each text deals with the common theme... and how it varies through different choices of form style and purpose.. make it very brief.. and look at the bigger picture.. its within your analysis where you analyse the linguistic/literary features which will break down this bigger picture
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by motherfunky)
Yeah what the hell is that?! I mean i've heard of monosyllabic lexis but THAT is ???

edit:

def here http://www.thefreedictionary.com/morphosyntax
serious_man18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

In your intro.. jus put how each text deals with the common theme... and how it varies through different choices of form style and purpose.. make it very brief.. and look at the bigger picture.. its within your analysis where you analyse the linguistic/literary features which will break down this bigger picture
you might also want to identify any differences in the 'time periods' in which each text was written to show that your aware of this
motherfunky
so basically syntax.. looool with the extraness of "morpho-" .. guess it sounds cleverer though!
wifofito
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Just say "at a morphosyntactical level, text A is similar to text C because they contain many complex-compound sentences which bla bla bla". It's analysing the sentence structure of an essay: a mixture of morphology and syntax. If you're not comfortable with it, just say "When analysing the sentence structure..."
I may be wrong here, my teacher is not that great and I had to practically teach myself.

Thank you for the tip on how to write an intro!
motherfunky
(Original post by serious_man18)
you might also want to identify any differences in the 'time periods' in which each text was written to show that your aware of this
yep defo defo.. thats when you can compare and contrast the linguistic features according to the historical context
wifofito
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh and apparently, anaphora and anaphoric reference are two different things! :|
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by serious_man18)
Yeah thatas what i do, cos you can say text b is written from the 18th century from this we can expect some historical conventions like archaisms.etc. so good point!
wifofito
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yep defo defo.. thats when you can compare and contrast the linguistic features according to the historical context

But surely not in the introduction, right? I'm confused now
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wifofito)
no i wouldnt start comparing in the intro, your intro should just say what your aim is, and you could say what genres that texts are if you want to and when they were written. But don't go into detail thats what your essay is for!
motherfunky
(Original post by wifofito)
no no not in the introduction.. within your analysis.. thats when you can go into more detail.. but yeah in your intro i guess you can generalise it with regards to the time period.. sorry for the confusion!

and and wats the difference between anaphora and anaphoric reference
serious_man18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AshJames)
Thanks for the link! I hope someone comes along who had sat this exam a previous year and knows how to tackle it and get an A!

Off subject, but I had learnt the rhetorical devices hypophora and anaphora just before my Writing for different audiences paper and I managed to fit them in, aha, I was so happy. Did you find that paper okay?
what in the world in hypophora and anophora ok now im ****ting myself i havent learnt what some of these words are. are you sure these words are not passed A level? arghhh
Miss.Naughty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
isn't anaphora the repeatition of a key word? like in a speech? unless ive got it totally wrong!
wifofito
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think anaphora is repeating: I'm a *****, I'm a lover, I'm a child... (okay sorry for the really bad example, I couldn't think of anything else).

And anaphoric references refer back to something. They're the opposite of cataphoric references.

By the way, what do you think of that structure? Will you apply it in the exam?
serious_man18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
can someone explain do we only compare and contrast the attitudes and values between the texts or can we also compare the linguistic and literary features between them? how much 'comparing' should we do. i cant write one whole section in the end about comparing i tend to integrate it throughout. ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads