The Student Room Group

What medical schools has a High population of ethnic minorities

I’m not talking only about medicine course but the uni’s itself. I want to apply somewhere with preferably more black and Asian people.
Also can’t do London unis as I live there and won’t be able to move out if I go there
Original post by Anonymous
I’m not talking only about medicine course but the uni’s itself. I want to apply somewhere with preferably more black and Asian people.
Also can’t do London unis as I live there and won’t be able to move out if I go there

all med schools have a high proportion of asians. i would say Leicester is top followed by Birmingham...
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
all med schools have a high proportion of asians. i would say Leicester is top followed by Birmingham...

Thanks. Do you know if there’s a High population of black people too?
Thanks. Do you know if there’s a High population of black people too?

there'll be an afro-carib soc at whatever uni lo,

https://www.gmc-uk.org/static/documents/content/SoMEP_2017_chapter_2.pdf
Please go to Google and type in Medical School Annual Return 2016/17 - GMC.

A spreadsheet will appear, telling you how many black students are at each med school. This is then repeated for all different ethnicities.

Have tried to copy URL but can't. But that should give you the info you seek.
Reply 6
Original post by Oxford Mum
Please go to Google and type in Medical School Annual Return 2016/17 - GMC.

A spreadsheet will appear, telling you how many black students are at each med school. This is then repeated for all different ethnicities.

Have tried to copy URL but can't. But that should give you the info you seek.

Thank you! The link did work. i Appreciate it.
Out of interest, when you graduate will you want to work in a hospital that treats mostly black and Asian patients?
@Etomidate
This is also a valid remark. I know you would like to be with your own ethnic group, but I’m sure there will be many non black medical students who would love to be friends with you. My best friend in sixth form was from Malaysia. She was lovely and ended up at Newcastle med school. Even if you end up in a med school with higher than average black students , your colleagues in hospital will probably have a different ethnic mix again
Honestly when we get these type of threads, then half of them I cant be bothered with. I can get some of the reasoning, but ultimately it ends up being stupid imo and just leads to making discrimination or ghettoising more likely.
Original post by Etomidate
Out of interest, when you graduate will you want to work in a hospital that treats mostly black and Asian patients?

Original post by 999tigger
Honestly when we get these type of threads, then half of them I cant be bothered with. I can get some of the reasoning, but ultimately it ends up being stupid imo and just leads to making discrimination or ghettoising more likely.

These threads remind me about when I was reading up on Dutch history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillarisation

I guess it is natural to want to be around your own ethnic group, but I wonder how far it will go.
Thats based on religion though and Europe had quite a time of wars based on religion.
I find it odd that you would identify more with your own race and use that as reason for choosing your medical school. You see these type of threads with Muslims as well. I get the feeling certain people would be happier just to go to a uni of their own race or religion.

As pointed out above it doesnt fit well with being a doctor. I think its a bit depressing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending