Hong Kong protests: Armed mob violence leaves city in shock Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago

Pro-democracy activists and lawmakers in Hong Kong have accused the police of standing by as men dressed in white attacked commuters and protesters, leaving 45 people hospitalised, including one who is critically injured.

Video footage showed dozens of men, mostly in masks, storming a mass transit station in Yuen Long around 10:30pm on Sunday, chasing passengers and beating them with metal and wooden rods and canes. Among those hurt in the attack were demonstrators returning from a large anti-government rally, as well as a pregnant woman and a woman holding a child, according to witnesses.

Footage showed a young man dressed in black being punched and kneed in the stomach by several men. A female journalist was beaten while filming the attack. Photos showed commuters bleeding and smears of blood on the station ground.

When police arrived at the station after 11pm, the assailants had left and angry protesters demanded to know why they had taken so long to get there. Police left and the attackers later came back a second time, breaking into a closed gate of the train station.

Hong Kong’s hospital authority said 45 people between the ages of 18 and 64 were injured in the attack, including one man who was in a critical condition and three in a serious condition. Late on Monday, police said they had arrested five people – some of them allegedly Triads – in relation to the attacks on charges of “unlawful assembly”.

Hiring men to beat up protesters is not a new tactic, according to activists and observers, who say thugs were also behind attacks on pro-democracy protests in 2014. Men, possibly from southern China, where the practice is more common, heckled and assaulted demonstrators.

A widely circulated video showed the pro-Beijing lawmaker Junius Ho, who lives in Yuen Long, shaking hands with men in white and giving them a thumbs up. In response to accusations that he had hired the men to go after protesters, Ho said in a press briefing on Monday that he had nothing to do with the attack. Asked why he did not call the police, Ho said: “They appeared to be normal residents, just like the protesters in your eyes.”

Protesters later covered Ho’s office in pro-democracy sticky notes and threw documents of his over an escalator. Several who covered their faces with scarves and hats later broke down a glass wall of his office in a shopping mall in Tsuen Wan. One poster on the wall stuck on by protesters said: “Rural bullies beat up people and carry out terrorist attacks!”

In the early hours of Monday, morning police entered a village near the station in Yuen Long where groups of men in white had gathered but said they had seen no weapons and made no arrests because they “could not be sure of who was involved”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-launch-attack

Here's a collection of some videos of the attack (mostly smartphone footage)
https://youtu.be/7P8uPkAeTas?t=88

Later incidents involving suspected triad members include this from 3 days ago, when fireworks from a moving car were fired into crowds of protesters, injuring 10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNyKZWYCqpU
Last edited by AngeryPenguin; 2 weeks ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Hmmm

A lot has happened since then.

Currently there is a massive "protest" occuring in different parts of Kowloon.

3 police stations are being surrounded by these so-called protestors, leading to closure of these stations.

The Cross Harbour Tunnel was illegally blocked for approximately 30 minutes early today.

Alongside Nathan Road and Mong Kok, most shops have closed to avoid the "protestors".

^^ Picture of a car in a police station being vandalised by the "protestors" - taken on 3rd August

^^ Picture of signs outside Police station being vandalised - taken on 3rd August

^^ Picture of Cross-Harbour Tunnel being illegal blocked - taken on 3rd August
Last edited by ecolier; 2 weeks ago
AngeryPenguin
(Original post by ecolier)
The Cross Harbour Tunnel was illegally blocked for approximately 30 minutes early today.
Yikes! An illegal protest? Say it isn't so! :eek:

^^ Picture of a car in a police station being vandalised by the "protestors".
Imagine that, China sending its thugs to beat them up has escalated it.

Oh wait - graffiti?! Wow, damaging property is really stepping over the line!

Sorry, pro-Democracy protesters - you are officially #Cancelled
Last edited by AngeryPenguin; 2 weeks ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yikes! An illegal protest? Say it isn't so! :eek:

And graffiti?! The government is sending thugs to beat them up is fine, but damaging property is really stepping over the line!

Sorry, pro-Democracy protesters - you are officially #Cancelled
As far as I understand it, the Police has allowed the protest to take place along a specified route.

The "protestors" have strayed away from these routes and surrounded the police station and blockaded roads.

I don't understand the aim of these "protestors" - if independence is what they strive, have they any idea what the consequences will be?

- HK doesn't have an army. I doubt conscription (Taiwan / Singapore / South Korean style) would be welcome
- HK received a huge amount of subsidy from China - the water supply for a start; I can't even imagine how far the HK economy (starting with property prices) will crash if they become independent. Brexit will pale in comparison
- Theoretically, let's say China is willing to give HK back to the UK as a colony - the UK is in no shape or form to recolonise HK. Plus never in a million years will China even consider giving HK back
- Note that the "protestors" are not without blame and are certainly not entirely peaceful - they have been hurling bricks and sticks towards to police too.
AngeryPenguin
As far as I understand it, the Police has allowed the protest to take place along a specified route.
> You may protest along these roads out of the way where we can easily block the press and kettle you.

The "protestors" have strayed away from these routes and surrounded the police station and blockaded roads.
Stop hiding behind these scare quotes. You think "protester" is the incorrect term? What fits these hundreds of thousands to millions of people better then?

I don't understand the aim of these "protestors" - if independence is what they strive, have they any idea what the consequences will be?

- HK doesn't have an army. I doubt conscription (Taiwan / Singapore / South Korean style) would be welcome
- HK received a huge amount of subsidy from China - the water supply for a start
- Theoretically, let's say China is willing to give HK back to the UK as a colony - the UK is in no shape or form to recolonise HK. Plus never in a million years will China even consider giving HK back
- Note that the "protestors" are not without blame and are certainly not entirely peaceful - they have been hurling bricks and sticks towards to police too.
Nice strawman. There's very little talk about independence. The talk is primarly about maintaining the principle of one country, two systems.

And even then - what are you on about? HK doesn't have an army now, and therefore as an independent state it couldn't? Smaller nations than HK exist. Or are you saying that China would invade HK anyway?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You may protest along these roads out of the way where we can easily block the press and kettle you.
So, if you were in charge, you'd just let protests go on anywhere then? Note kettling and other much more inhumane treatment of protestors are prevalent in other territories.

Stop hiding behind these scare quotes. You think "protester" is the incorrect term? What fits these hundreds of thousands to millions of people better then?
I refer to the rioters / "terrorists" committing illegal acts - hence "protestors".

^^ Clearing peaceful "protestors" will need these equipment.

Are these millions of people committing these illegal acts? I am only referring to those who are violent towards the police and causing property damage.

... Or are you saying that China would invade HK anyway?
Why would they "invade" HK? HK is China's anyway. Donald Trump said so.

I am not going to argue any more. You're not going to change my mind. I'm not going to change yours.
AngeryPenguin
So, if you were in charge, you'd just let protests go on anywhere then? Note kettling and other much more inhumane treatment of protestors are prevalent in other territories.
I wouldn't be in charge in the first place - China selects the candidates.

Kettling is a scummy tactic and should be avoided, whoever uses it. Don't act like it is necessary to keep the peace.

I refer to the rioters / terrorists committing illegal acts

Are these millions of people committing these illegal acts? I am only referring to those who are violent towards the police and causing property damage.
In any movement involving millions of people, there will be some radicals. You are back-pedalling now, but you were trying to imply that this invalidated the protests.

I could find many videos of police brutality. Does that now make the police - sorry, "police" - a terrorist organisation?

^^ Clearing peaceful "protestors" will need these equipment.
You are literally in a thread where pro-government thugs are on video beating them up.

Why would they "invade" HK? HK is China's anyway. Donald Trump said so.
Oh, they have God Emperor Trump's approval? My bad then! As you were, Beijing.
singzeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Your article was about events that occurred in Yuen Long on 21/07. Since then many more things have happened.

Amongst the protestors, there are also those who have shown they are no better than the white-shirt triads. The latest I've heard is they've set fire outside Tsim Sha Tsui police station. Granted, it's probably an angry response to the lack of police during the 21/07 attack. But such acts only serve to delegitimise their cause. In 2014 the Occupy Central protests failed because they eventually lost public support. It would be a pity if this current movement went the same way too.

As it stands, certain elements within both parties are extremist and violent in nature. This, to me, is wrong - regardless of which side they're on. Call me idealistic, but I've always believed in having some sort of 'moral high ground' if possible. HK people are allowed peaceful protest (unlike in mainland China); once they breach that by starting violence, that just makes it much easier for Beijing to justify whatever actions it takes to clamp down.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ultimately, any action to bring down the authority of the People's Republic is pretty good by my reckoning.

Whether it's in Hong Kong or China itself, I do think that people should stand up for the sort of freedoms we would expect in liberal democracies. The PRC Government blocks that and is quite clearly not only attacking the freedoms that remain in Hong Kong, but doing it in violation of the Sino-British Joint Declaration. Indeed, they have openly repudiated it against all standards of international law. Because that's what the PRC Government do - they don't give a toss about the rule of law or the rights of citizens.

There will be more of this - and more of the repression that goes on every day, unreported, in mainland China. Because that's what the Government there does.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
Ultimately, any action to bring down the authority of the People's Republic is pretty good by my reckoning.

Whether it's in Hong Kong or China itself, I do think that people should stand up for the sort of freedoms we would expect in liberal democracies. The PRC Government blocks that and is quite clearly not only attacking the freedoms that remain in Hong Kong, but doing it in violation of the Sino-British Joint Declaration. Indeed, they have openly repudiated it against all standards of international law. Because that's what the PRC Government do - they don't give a toss about the rule of law or the rights of citizens.

There will be more of this - and more of the repression that goes on every day, unreported, in mainland China. Because that's what the Government there does.
You think the collapse of a great power (almost certainly into civil war) would be a good thing? That's novel.

As for the err 'rule of law', really?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wouldn't be in charge in the first place - China selects the candidates.
Isnt that true of everywhere? Even in good old blighty. I mean you dont get to select the candidates here do you?
Kettling is a scummy tactic and should be avoided, whoever uses it. Don't act like it is necessary to keep the peace.
Why is that sorry? I mean its clearly an unpleasant tactic but it works in containing these hooligans in one place.
Oh, they have God Emperor Trump's approval? My bad then! As you were, Beijing.
Well in fairness they have the worlds opinion in this. Hong Kong is part of China.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (180)
12.78%
Excited (116)
8.23%
Worried (264)
18.74%
Terrified (329)
23.35%
Meh (113)
8.02%
Confused (33)
2.34%