The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey I'm providing computer science tuition over the summer for those going into sixthform at £10. If you are interested plz feel free to reach out
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by blackugo
Haha, thanks. I did Chemistry, physics maths as well.

Damn you're school let you do 5? I had to settle for 4 plus an epq
Reply 22
Original post by achilles)
Also, is this pdf the book for OCR that we will use 100% or was it just for u man? Bcuz this is from beginning to end and I just started like you know, so I think if i study this book inside out, I will know everything about cs for Yr 12 AND yr 13 right?

I can't say for sure. There might be other textbooks that your teachers will use but this is what most people use. It won't hurt to use this textbook because all the textbooks should cover the same content anyway. The book has most of what you need. A small warning, the general consensus is that this book isn't great, it's got a lot of waffles, there are a few things it misses out and it doesn't completely prepare you for the exam. Doing the practice questions on physics and maths tutor is the most important thing so you know how to actually get marks in the exam and know what they are asking for. A lot of people watch Craig n Daves videos on youtube, I didn't find them that helpful but anything that isn't explained well in the book should be there or somewhere on the internet. Basically don't spend all of your time making detailed notes from the book, prioritise the topic tests on pmt and if there's anything on the mark schemes not on your notes add them.
Reply 23
Original post by tej3141
Damn you're school let you do 5? I had to settle for 4 plus an epq

No, they let me do 3 lol and I did CS and FM as a private candidate. I didn't do that well at GCSE and computer science clashed with chem.
Original post by achilles)
If im being honest, probably a 7 HIGH BALL it an 8

Yh you should be fine then. As long as you have a good revision technique
No, they let me do 3 lol and I did CS and FM as a private candidate. I didn't do that well at GCSE and computer science clashed with chem.

Ohh that seems like effort. I'm guessing your hard work paid of and you got into a good uni?
Reply 26
Original post by tej3141
Ohh that seems like effort. I'm guessing your hard work paid of and you got into a good uni?

Yeah. It's not that bad tbh. Computer science is pretty easy since I knew how to program and had done the GCSE it was just cramming some new info. I left it till the last minute in year 13.
Yeah. It's not that bad tbh. Computer science is pretty easy since I knew how to program and had done the GCSE it was just cramming some new info. I left it till the last minute in year 13.

No, not doing all those a levels, I meant applying to FM and CS privately
Reply 28
Original post by tej3141
No, not doing all those a levels, I meant applying to FM and CS privately

Oh, the teachers weren't helpful anyway lol. If they were actually good I probably wouldn't have done chemistry and stuck to 4.
I can't say for sure. There might be other textbooks that your teachers will use but this is what most people use. It won't hurt to use this textbook because all the textbooks should cover the same content anyway. The book has most of what you need. A small warning, the general consensus is that this book isn't great, it's got a lot of waffles, there are a few things it misses out and it doesn't completely prepare you for the exam. Doing the practice questions on physics and maths tutor is the most important thing so you know how to actually get marks in the exam and know what they are asking for. A lot of people watch Craig n Daves videos on youtube, I didn't find them that helpful but anything that isn't explained well in the book should be there or somewhere on the internet. Basically don't spend all of your time making detailed notes from the book, prioritise the topic tests on pmt and if there's anything on the mark schemes not on your notes add t

Yup, i felt sum was up, the book has some dead definitions. I dont understand buses man, like wtf is that diagram telling me, I need someone to dumb it down for me
Thank you so ****ing much for this, love you
Oh, the teachers weren't helpful anyway lol. If they were actually good I probably wouldn't have done chemistry and stuck to 4.

I need you to explain to me what you meant by to pass cs for a level you need to know physics stuff and maths as I'm really bad at maths and sciences but I'm still taking cs I'm worried I won't do well (basically just want reassurance) also about the exam paper 1 is it about programming like you said?
Reply 32
Original post by Bernsdette
I need you to explain to me what you meant by to pass cs for a level you need to know physics stuff and maths as I'm really bad at maths and sciences but I'm still taking cs I'm worried I won't do well (basically just want reassurance) also about the exam paper 1 is it about programming like you said?

You need basically near 0 physics. As for maths yes you need some maths but it's very easy. Some of the content like big O(n) and algorithms will be in decision in further maths, don't let that scare you. And apart from that there is boolean algebra which is essentially the same as set theory (venn diagrams) in maths.
Hey. The link doesn't work anymore, do you still have the ebook? Thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending