jemlucybowie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(got rid of the original post because I'm embarrassed by my initial question haha sorry) I'm basically planning to look at place perception and characteristics of the place with mostly qualitative data

thank you for suggestions, I'm going to modify them and take inspiration because I obviously don't want to cheat my way through this
Last edited by jemlucybowie; 1 month ago
naem071
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you tell us a little bit more about your investigation i.e sub questions and so on? Off the bat, your methodology suggests you're looking at how place perceptions and human activity/land use has been defined by the town's cultural characteristics, rather than an investigation solely into what those characteristics are. I'd say you could change the question to 'How do the characteristics of X affect place perception and locale?'. You can then later define those characteristics and aspects of the town's locale within the study.
Last edited by naem071; 1 month ago
jemlucybowie
Rep:
?
This sounds like a really stupid question I know but what kind of ‘characteristics’ would you suggest? like could the characteristics be the people (use non participant observation and maybe census data?)
naem071
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jemlucybowie)
This sounds like a really stupid question I know but what kind of ‘characteristics’ would you suggest? like could the characteristics be the people (use non participant observation and maybe census data?)
The character of the town is probably going to be best described by the endogenous and exogenous factors of the area. Be that topography, demographics, relations to other towns and so on. Each of these are characteristic strands that build up to form the overall character. For your investigation it's probably best to keep a focus on the human characteristics. These include demographics, socio-economic data, past processes (industrial heritage, tourist heritage etc), flows from neighbouring towns and so on. Although you could look at how the physical environment has influenced land use and therefore peoples perceptions of the place and the activities that take place. You could look at housing quality, environmental quality and so on, each of these are also characteristics that affect place perception and locale. Think outside of the box, you should quickly notice that there's a lot you could work with. Good luck!

Edit: I think you should branch out to a select few different characteristic groupings rather than just cultural characteristics. It helps to slightly broaden the investigation whilst keeping focus, and hopefully give you more to play with.
Last edited by naem071; 1 month ago
jemlucybowie
Rep:
?
thank you so much!
MathsMeme
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From what has been discussed how about something along the lines of 'To what extent do the endogenous factors of *place* affect the perception of such place?". By wording it with a 'to what extent' you open up a way of weighing up what about the place affects it as well as how much. I did a human coursework title too for changing places this year based on perception of places as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (9)
5.77%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (89)
57.05%
No (58)
37.18%

Watched Threads