So, I saw an examiner on the train the other day... Watch

Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well i can sort of see why he did it quick, it's french it either make sense or it dosn't, if it was english however..
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
in essay subjects I'd guess it would be a problem, however for sciences: they're looking for the keywords, so that's what you write, simple. For maths: If you got the answer right, the rest of it (for most questions) is right, so it doesn't matter, it's only when the final answer is wrong they read it properly to see how many method marks they can dole out.

Also, bear in mind that experienced examiner's can glance over scripts and know exactly what's going on. MY head of maths is a chief examiner for MEI, I know how fast he marks work, and I've also seen his marking first hand, it is extremely thorough. These people have marked enough papers that they know the mistakes you're going to make and know where they can spend time and save time. The first time you try and solve a quadratic equation it takes quite a while, after 5 years of it the answer to simple ones is there within seconds, marking exam papers is exactly the same. Most examiner's are good, a few are not, that's why we have remarks.
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fat_hobbit)
Do they?
Yuff needs to realise that TSR does not represent all the students in the UK.
LaurenFah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Yuffie)
My poor mum spends about half an hour marking each paper. She never sleeps and is quite ill because of it
Yeah, my old A2 Psychology teacher was an AQA examiner and she used to come into lessons tired and stressed from marking. She used to spend about 30 mins on each one, re-reading etc.
moneyballs2
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
I saw a woman in starbucks at canary wharf marking maths exam papers. (Jubilee Place) Didn't look familiar (the question) so it was most probably AQA or OCR maths (I did Edexcel) and it certainley wasn't AS or A2 as the question I saw she was marking was a typical GCSE question. She had them all over the table and had every exam opened on the same page, she must mark each question of all the papers she has and then does it that way. Poor exam markers, must be soo soo dull

I always assumed they were not allowed to take the scripts out of their houses incase they got lost/stolen etc.

Apologies, as this was a GCSE exam I saw being marked, but it's still to do with the same thing.
tymbnuip
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It is against the JCQ regulations for GCE/GCSE exam-marking to mark exam scripts on trains. Sadly I have also seen it occurring, though this guy took a bit more time over each paper..
tristanperry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Whilst the examiners are moderated too (to some extent), there is obviously room for slack marking. Heck, I hear many cases (and have seen) when the examiner simply hasn't added up the total marks correctly.

There aren't enough examiners, hence they give it a quick glance and that's the end of it.

At least, most examiners do. There are, of course, some good ones out there that don't do this.
fat_hobbit
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mos Def)
Yuff needs to realise that TSR does not represent all the students in the UK.
Yeah, this forum is incredible.
georgeElsworth
Report 11 years ago
wel isnt it all marked online now? im pretty sure it gets scanned into the computer and sent to the markers. I rekon he was a teacher marking his classes work..
rainbow drops
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i do OCR AS french (well, did) and this has scared/angered me
brimstone
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
I was going to post this in the general discussions but I felt now that most exams are over now, it'd be good to have a discussion about examiners who are marking AS/A2 scripts based on my account of what I saw the other day. :p:
Since when are most exams over? I still have six.
Fruitcakex
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
errrmmmm....take a look lol http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/eu...ain/index.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads