Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Over the summer I thought it would be a good idea to get a job so I can save money and to give me something to do as at home none of my uni friends are close by.

On the off chance a restaurant I had contacted weeks before hand and forgot about messaged me asking for a trial shift. I was so excited about the chance to work as it was at a place I actually really liked. the trial shift was perfect I loved it and the wages were good as well as the hours and shift benefits in general.

after a week I began to realise how awful my boss was as I seem to be the only one she was picking on and shouting at. More things happened which made me feel on edge and sick from anxiety (something that hasn't flared up in a while) my panic attacks have began to return as well.

I met up with a uni friend the other day and it showed how much I haven't been myself and how much it had actually been effecting me. It was a shock to the system about how depressed this job had made me. I even cried to family about how it makes me feel. Yesterday I had a panic attack on shift from fear and anxiety from my manager ( I had to tell her about my panic attacks something I didn't really want to address with her out of all people)

Today I have rang in sick as I am too emotionally drained from what had happened yesterday. I told my boss something else ( I know lying is bad) but I don't think she would be happy with me taking a mental health day.

I told her I would be in again tomorrow but I feel sick already from anxiety i'm even scared to hand in my resignation letter. As I know she is going to be a ***** to me about ringing in sick today as I was prepared to go in to work tomorrow.

Am I crazy for feeling like this after 3 weeks. sorry I just needed to vent.

Advice would be helpful
iamjoecll
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
My dudes, freaking quit! Seriously, if it is affecting your mental health then it isn't worth it! Just don't show up tomorrow OR EVER. There are many more opportunities in this world and this won't be your last job, you can easily search for another one. Please update me on what you do
username4889668
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As above: QUIT. If you NEED the job desperately and nowhere else is hiring, honestly talk to her. The worst thing she can do is let you go (which I doubt would happen) and if she does good. You deserve more and your mental health does too.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by iamjoecll)
My dudes, freaking quit! Seriously, if it is affecting your mental health then it isn't worth it! Just don't show up tomorrow OR EVER. There are many more opportunities in this world and this won't be your last job, you can easily search for another one. Please update me on what you do
I also got told off for going to the loo and not telling anyone.. im 20 I don't need that. I also got screamed at as a customer made a formal complain about me but she never listened to my side and the customer lied a lot to her. im handing in my notice tomorrow. I have decided to go with a lie on why I am leaving just to avoid the confrontation as that will be much easier. I also have a shift at 12 tomorrow so she isn't going to be so happy when I don't show up and there is a resignation letter in the door way and I will turn off my phone so I don't see her response. I also work illegal shift I believe working 10 hours and not being given a break as 'you are on till closing so you don't need one'. we get paid a weekly for the hours done the week before so I hope she doesn't hold my pay
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
I totally understand, I've had horrible experience with 1 of my managers (immediate manager / team leader type of guy) and it ended badly
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
Sometimes all it takes is this one person above you to ruin the experience, we really should be talking about it a lot more. In these circumstances the best thing to do is just to quit on your own and well, look for a new job, that's about all we can do.
Anonymous #1
thank you... I feel like when I go and begin my shift tomorrow there will be something at fault so its best to resign than to get sacked thats why I am trying to get it in before she does. But I am going to have some chill time and probably visit a few uni friends which should help my mental health go back to normal then a few weeks later second year begins for me
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well done for handing in your notice, it's not always an easy choice to make. At least you've got out now rather than spending the whole summer miserable and feeling more and more trapped.
FingersXed84
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think you should resign too. That being said do not worry about getting sacked. Anyone who bullies you will not want to sack you as you’ll claim you are being bullied and that could be a law suit (especially as you have mental health issues so are covered by the equality act). If you allege that then your employer would have to investigate and you’d be paid in the interim. Also, you’ll get paid your notice period if they sack you so that always free pay.

I’ve been let go before but I’ve always been paid to go. Also, the person who did it was let go 6 months later. You have more power than you think. Just take care of yourself and don’t let one person affect your self esteem. If you need any extra advice then pm me (there are some issues such as if the restaurant is a chain and whether you are on probation to be considered - just trying to give you the just).
Last edited by FingersXed84; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (12)
26.09%
No (26)
56.52%
Don't know (8)
17.39%

Watched Threads