Have you ever heard of a respiratory and sleep physiologist?

Watch
Charlie_Earle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Have you ever thought about becoming a respiratory and sleep physiologist?

I work for Swansea University and we have an optional FUNDED 3 year degree programme with 100% employability. It's such a rewarding career and there is potential to have consultant status!
You would work in a hospital seeing patients for lung function tests, allergy tests, oxygen assessments, exercise tests and monitor patient's sleep patterns to identify if they stop breathing during the night.

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradu...nd-sleep-phys/

Who's heard of a respiratory and sleep physiologist before?!
Last edited by Charlie_Earle; 1 year ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charlie_Earle)
...Who's heard of a respiratory and sleep physiologist before?!
Neither are doctors, so I have moved your thread away from the Medicine forum.

Someone here in the Healthcare forum may be able to tell you their experience.

I work with sleep physiologists but don't have too much experience with their day to day work.
Charlie_Earle
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Neither are doctors, so I have moved your thread away from the Medicine forum.

Someone here in the Healthcare forum may be able to tell you their experience.

I work with sleep physiologists but don't have too much experience with their day to day work.
Thank you- I didn't see the Healthcare forum! I am both a respiratory and sleep physiologist! We're desperate to spread the word of our profession as not many people know it exists!
Thank you
Charlie_Earle
Rep:
?
BBB in A level (one must be a science) plus GCSE Maths and English.
There are alternative routes too if you've done an 'Access to Science' Course.
Charlie_Earle
Rep:
?
If you can commit to working in Wales for two years after graduating, you can get your tuition fees covered in full through the NHS Wales Bursary Scheme, as well as maintenance funding of up to £4,491 and a reduced rate loan from Student Finance.
Charlie_Earle
Rep:
?
If you can commit to working in Wales for two years after graduating, you can get your tuition fees covered in full through the NHS Wales Bursary Scheme, as well as maintenance funding of up to £4,491 and a reduced rate loan from Student Finance.
Hope this answers your question!
Charlie_Earle
Rep:
?
Don't worry- feel free to ask!
Yes we organise all placements for students during the course, all in Wales. You move around Wales during the three years whilst on placement, for example you might have 6 weeks in South Wales hospital, and then 8 weeks in a West Wales hospital, followed by 4 weeks in a North Wales hospital. We do this so that students are able to see the most variety of tests/hospitals/working environments.
Charlie_Earle
Rep:
?
As far as I'm aware there's no option to transfer credits and therefore omit modules as the course is managed by a governing body (Academy of Healthcare Science) it tends to be very prescriptive as to what topics students must cover throughout their degree.. However, there's likely to be alternative entry requirements for those with existing higher education qualifications. I've private messaged you my email address incase you want to send me anything specific.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.56%
I'm not sure (54)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (347)
29.21%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (579)
48.74%

Watched Threads