Provisional driving licence Watch

katherine340
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Yesterday I applied for my first provisional driving licence and I noticed they asked if I can read a licence plate from 20 metres away, and I said yes, however I am not entirely sure as I am short sighted and I have glasses for long distance however I wear them only in class as I am not good at seeing numbers/letters on a screen. Otherwise when I’m outside I see fine, it’s just the boards in school I don’t see. So my question is do I need to inform DVLA about this?
Cazemma
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think you would be best off getting someone to help you figure out the 20 metre distance so you can see if you can read a number plate from that far. if you can't, try with your glasses on. if you can with glasses then you need to make sure you are always wearing them to drive and yes inform DVLA
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just wear your glasses whenever you drive. If you can read a number plate around 20m away with glasses then your fine.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by katherine340)
Yesterday I applied for my first provisional driving licence and I noticed they asked if I can read a licence plate from 20 metres away, and I said yes, however I am not entirely sure as I am short sighted and I have glasses for long distance however I wear them only in class as I am not good at seeing numbers/letters on a screen. Otherwise when I’m outside I see fine, it’s just the boards in school I don’t see. So my question is do I need to inform DVLA about this?
So you possibly told a lie on the form...?

Did it not occur to you to go and check whether you could read a number plate from 20m? What did your opticians say?
katherine340
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
So you possibly told a lie on the form...?

Did it not occur to you to go and check whether you could read a number plate from 20m? What did your opticians say?
I just went out and tried to read a few licence plates. With glasses seemed to recognise them fine. Without glasses = blurry
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I just went out and tried to read a few licence plates. With glasses seemed to recognise them fine. Without glasses = blurry
So you need to declare that you need glasses to drive.
Den987
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's shouldn't be an issue. I am short sighted as well, but that didn't cause me any problems. Just wear your glasses/contacts and you should be fine. It's actually much closer than you might think .
Soteria3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's better if you always use your glasses while driving.
danc1456
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i didnt declare i need glasses to drive when i applied for my provisional. when i turned up for my test i just wore them and passed. never had any issues with the examiner or DVLA. tbh there is no point in declaring it. you only get in trouble if you cannot read a number plate from 20m. no one cares about what you have or haven't declared. its safety that matters.
Last edited by danc1456; 1 week ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by danc1456)
i didnt declare i need glasses to drive when i applied for my provisional. when i turned up for my test i just wore them and passed. never had any issues with the examiner or DVLA. tbh there is no point in declaring it. you only get in trouble if you cannot read a number plate from 20m. no one cares about what you have or haven't declared. its safety that matters.
It's fraud to not declare any medical conditions to the DVLA - if discovered, you face serious penalties.

There is absolutely no reason to not declare it.
Aaryra
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why didn't you mention you need glasses?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, you do not. But you do need to wear your glasses when driving, from what you describe.
(Original post by IWMTom)
So you need to declare that you need glasses to drive.
No. Simple short or long-sightedness is not a condition that needs to be reported, as long as the driver always wears the corrective spectacles when driving.

Look here: https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

It says:

You must wear glasses or contact lenses every time you drive if you need them to meet the ‘standards of vision for driving’.

You must tell DVLA if you’ve got any problem with your eyesight that affects both of your eyes, or the remaining eye if you only have one eye.

This doesn’t include being short or long sighted or colour blind. You also don’t need to say if you’ve had surgery to correct short sightedness and can meet the eyesight standards.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
No, you do not. But you do need to wear your glasses when driving, from what you describe.

No. Simple short or long-sightedness is not a condition that needs to be reported, as long as the driver always wears the corrective spectacles when driving.

Look here: https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

It says:

You must wear glasses or contact lenses every time you drive if you need them to meet the ‘standards of vision for driving’.

You must tell DVLA if you’ve got any problem with your eyesight that affects both of your eyes, or the remaining eye if you only have one eye.

This doesn’t include being short or long sighted or colour blind. You also don’t need to say if you’ve had surgery to correct short sightedness and can meet the eyesight standards.
Touché.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise