Slow to start engine Watch

Nadim Chowdhury
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I brought a golf 1.6 tdi last week. 2011 car. When the engine is warm it fires up straightaway but when I leave it overnight, it takes a few seconds to start. I've recorded it here https://youtu.be/KXpS_AbudKw . Anyone got ideas? I don't think it's the battery but someone told me it might be a fuel pump
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nadim Chowdhury)
I brought a golf 1.6 tdi last week. 2011 car. When the engine is warm it fires up straightaway but when I leave it overnight, it takes a few seconds to start. I've recorded it here https://youtu.be/KXpS_AbudKw . Anyone got ideas? I don't think it's the battery but someone told me it might be a fuel pump
Cold start, completely normal.

My Mk7 is the same.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I think the glow plugs of a diesel take a bit longer to go if it's cold,
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Yeah I think the glow plugs of a diesel take a bit longer to go if it's cold,
It's not even that - these engines just take a few seconds to tick over from cold.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
It's not even that - these engines just take a few seconds to tick over from cold.
That's really strange. My old PD130 starts pretty much instantly even when stone cold. There's no difference between cold or warm.

Maybe a Common Rail injection thing? I know a few newer diesels hate to be started without glow plugs even in the summer (we have some Vivaros at work which will crank for ages if you don't use the glow plugs, and the Citans don't like it very much either) but I've never noticed it on any of our newer VAG diesels.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
That's really strange. My old PD130 starts pretty much instantly even when stone cold. There's no difference between cold or warm.

Maybe a Common Rail injection thing? I know a few newer diesels hate to be started without glow plugs even in the summer (we have some Vivaros at work which will crank for ages if you don't use the glow plugs, and the Citans don't like it very much either) but I've never noticed it on any of our newer VAG diesels.
It's only a few seconds before it springs into life - longest I've had is a good 5-10 seconds.

I believe it's something to do with condensation as there tends to be a little puff of white smoke when it starts. It's only every now and then. Few courtesy cars I've had from VW have been the same.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nah, either glow plugs or starter. In your case it sounds like glow plugs.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's fine, as long as it doesn't get any worse. And as long as it drives fine. No smoke from the exhaust, good pick up when accelerating etc.

I personally prefer cars to be a little bit slow to start when cold as it allows the lubricating oil to circulate a bit.

The reason for the slow starting may be down to when you stop your car after driving it, the fuel in the injection system is at full pressure. As the car sits this pressure slowly drains away over a few hours. Then when you restart the car it takes a few seconds for the pumps to build up pressure again. This wouldn't mean that your pumps are on the way out. They may well work good enough like this for years.
Last edited by Dunnig Kruger; 1 week ago
Cleverboy1991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From what I saw on the video it seems fine.
does it smoke a little when you start it and does it sometimes do the same in the video but take a little longer again to start ? it could be glow plugs but from what I saw there it seems fine.
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Cleverboy1991)
From what I saw on the video it seems fine.
does it smoke a little when you start it and does it sometimes do the same in the video but take a little longer again to start ? it could be glow plugs but from what I saw there it seems fine.
I don't think there is smoke when I start the car. But it does take slightly longer to start after every time the car is left for hours and engine becomes cold. But thanks for the help everyone
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What mileage and how much you pay? Thinking of getting one..
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by J0n3zviper)
What mileage and how much you pay? Thinking of getting one..
I've paid 5.5k for 2011 1.6tdi auto. 72k mileage and full service history with one owner from new. It's a good spec too, comes with dab radio, parking sensors, alarm, all round electric windows. I recommend it, although make sure the water pump is changed with timing belt if looking at a car between 60-100k miles. I learnt the hard way, but the dealership I brought the car from paid for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise