brightxburns
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I've always wondered this. It seems like the vast majority of people get offers, get the grades and get on with it. But are there people who don't actually meet their offers? Do you know anyone who has missed an offer? Did they resit & reapply (is that even possible at Oxford?) or go to their Insurance?
Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Euan Blair did.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I believe they make in the region of 5% more offers than they have places for to take account of those who say no and those who don't make it. That does not answer your question entirely, but gives a good indication.
Spike4848
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, my cousin missed an offer for natural sciences.
Mercuria
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I only know of one person who didn't make their offer. They missed their insurance (St Andrew's) too, so reapplied to the same college and won a place again.
brightxburns
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mercuria)
I only know of one person who didn't make their offer. They missed their insurance (St Andrew's) too, so reapplied to the same college and won a place again.
Did they have to resit some of their A Level modules, in order to successfully reapply?
Frater
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
From the last time I looked at the offers made and the number of people finally accepted for mathematics, about 40-50% of people fail to meet their offers.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Frater)
From the last time I looked at the offers made and the number of people finally accepted for mathematics, about 40-50% of people fail to meet their offers.
I find that a little difficult to believe, unless it was in 1985 or thereabouts.
Frater
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It wasn't Oxford, my mistake, it was Cambridge.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cts.html#maths

Although, I believe its practically the same for Oxford. I think 40% of mathematics applicants miss their offers in general. Can't remember where I read that, but I remember it being a viable source.
OxyMoron.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's quite believable considering many applicants for Cambridge probably fall short on their STEP grades.

I know a few people who have missed their offers in the past. One was let in anyway, three weren't and went to their insurance choices instead.
Winter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Although, I believe its practically the same for Oxford. I think 40% of mathematics applicants miss their offers in general. Can't remember where I read that, but I remember it being a viable source.
do you know what's the difference between oxford's and cambridge's mathematics offers?:p:
STEP makes a huge difference.

EDIT: oops, i'm late.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Thanks, that is very interesting. The mathematics statistics are exceptional, form a quick scan. However, the difference between offers and admissions is the number of applicants that did not get admitted, not the the number that did not make the offer. Some, at least, would have gone elsewhere as a first choice.
BJack
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Although, I believe its practically the same for Oxford.
It's not — just thought it should be made explicitly clear. If anything, I would imagine that Oxford mathematics applicants are possibly more likely to make their offer than other subjects' applicants, since they'll usually have only one or two subjects to worry about.
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm amazed by those statistics...I would have assumed that the people who get offers from oxbridge are the ones for whom getting AAA is just taken for granted...plus if I got an offer I'd do everything possible to ensure I got it...
randomness
Report 11 years ago
Aaaah this thread has made me sooo anxious! As an IB-er results are coming out pretty soon and I feel like crying everytime I think about it as I think there are slight chances of me having missed my offer even though I don't even know what to blame it on...I studied a lot, did well in mocks but when it came to the real thing I just screwed it up feel like punching myself everytime I think of it. grrrrrr scary
BJack
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jgupta)
I'm amazed by those statistics...I would have assumed that the people who get offers from oxbridge are the ones for whom getting AAA is just taken for granted...
They are. The only subject in which more than a tiny percentage of people miss their offer is maths at Cambridge. The reason so many miss their offer at Cambridge is not because they don't get AAA (indeed almost all of them will) but because of the additional compulsory STEP papers. The STEP papers are far, far harder than A Levels, and consequently it's very easy to miss the required grade.
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sam...:D)
But it wasn't a surprise as they all go to a state school and so ignorant oxbridge sees them as scum
That's absolute rubbish.

I know two people who missed Cambridge Maths offers due to STEP - one of them got 1,2 when he required 1,1 (Trinity) and the other got 2,3 (required 1,2, can't remember his college).
Mook
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sam...:D)
every person i know who applied to oxbridge got rejected after the interview stage. But it wasn't a surprise as they all go to a state school and so ignorant oxbridge sees them as scum
Judging by that comment, I'm not surprised the people you hang out with didn't get in.
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Meeeee.
brightxburns
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mayfly)
Meeeee.
So... what's the story? Did you get in? By how many grades did you miss your offer?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads