Mook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sam...:D)
lol thanks for the neg feedback. That was a test i did for myself cos i was bored, to see how easy and quickly i could get neg feedback.
Well that's possibly even more stupid than your previous statement . . . There are enough misconceptions amongst state pupils about Oxbridge without prats adding to it for the sake of satisfying their own short attention spans.
Reltub
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mook)
Well that's possibly even more stupid than your previous statement . . . There are enough misconceptions amongst state pupils about Oxbridge without prats adding to it for the sake of satisfying their own short attention spans.
:eek:
Tombola
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I always assumed that those with offers usually require very little in their latter modules to get in.
toddlers crossword
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I never knew it was so extra difficult to get into maths at Cambridge with these STEP papers and whatnot...am now scarily impressed by the person i know whose currently studying maths there!

I know one girl who missed her offer, she went somewhere like UCL or Imperial instead though so its not the end of the world!
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)
So... what's the story? Did you get in? By how many grades did you miss your offer?
ABB, got in anyway.
Inter-Company
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
for what course maylay if you don't mind me asking?
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
History at Balliol, I don't think it's standard though.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I missed my offer for Music at Worcester College and still got in, yay!
jay8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by randomness)
Aaaah this thread has made me sooo anxious! As an IB-er results are coming out pretty soon and I feel like crying everytime I think about it as I think there are slight chances of me having missed my offer even though I don't even know what to blame it on...I studied a lot, did well in mocks but when it came to the real thing I just screwed it up feel like punching myself everytime I think of it. grrrrrr scary
Haha I feel just like you! Good luck with your results (and hopefully we'll both be in Oxford come October)!
PaperMoon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know someone who missed it by far..BBB at A-Level when she needed 3 A's.

She shocked everyone by getting an offer in the first place (not really the brightest girl) so it was a shame she didn't make it through.
widgeon
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mayfly)
ABB, got in anyway.
What was your offer?
anlgoDC
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mayfly)
ABB, got in anyway.
There is some hope !!!!!!
Just wondering, did you have any emergency type of explanation?
Zenobia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What about foreign students?
There is no possible way for them to judge my marks to begin with, since they're not only Dutch, but I also have a load of extra subjects and my school doesn't quite work like the average Dutch school.
It's going to be a miracle for me to even get an offer... but how am I ever going to know if I'll miss it? It's applauded at my school if you even manage to pass your exams. Plus the marks students get at their exams are on average FAR lower than their normal marks. I already have no prospects whatsoever on getting anything higher than a C on both my Latin and Greek exams which is a little frustrating seeing as I'm applying to CAAH.
Does anyone know about foreign students who got an offer and then missed it? Dutch students, in particular.
Mook
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Zenobia)
There is no possible way for them to judge my marks to begin with, since they're not only Dutch, but I also have a load of extra subjects and my school doesn't quite work like the average Dutch school.
Oxford seem to have foreign exam systems sussed out by now, so I'm sure they'd be able to establish some necessary standard for any offer they might give you. The best thing to do is to email the admissions people, explain your situation and ask them; they might not be able to give you a definitive answer (as that will only ever come from the college you apply to, who would assess your individual circumstances) but they can probably give you a rough idea of what would be expected of you.
Zenobia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mook)
Oxford seem to have foreign exam systems sussed out by now, so I'm sure they'd be able to establish some necessary standard for any offer they might give you. The best thing to do is to email the admissions people, explain your situation and ask them; they might not be able to give you a definitive answer (as that will only ever come from the college you apply to, who would assess your individual circumstances) but they can probably give you a rough idea of what would be expected of you.
I already tried to e-mail two colleges but they told me they had no idea and referred me to the list with foreign requirements, which is really useless since it just tells Dutch students to have at least an 8 (which equals to an A) in all subjects (which is impossible because we have an average of 12 school exam subjects. I've got 16 myself).
But anyway the whole mark thing is a different problem. I was just looking for foreign students who missed their offer and why. I'm going to the open day so I'll ask about my marks then. (Actually, should I? It might not be a good move to go and tell them my marks are awful if you compare it to their 'have an 8 in all your subjects'.)
mdk^
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Zenobia)
It's going to be a miracle for me to even get an offer... but how am I ever going to know if I'll miss it? It's applauded at my school if you even manage to pass your exams. Plus the marks students get at their exams are on average FAR lower than their normal marks. I already have no prospects whatsoever on getting anything higher than a C on both my Latin and Greek exams which is a little frustrating seeing as I'm applying to CAAH.
Does anyone know about foreign students who got an offer and then missed it? Dutch students, in particular.
Hi, i got a conditional offer for maths asking for 18/20 in the greek Apolytirion (average of 15 subjects ranging from ancient greek, greek literature, history, religious studies to double maths, double physics, biology, computer programming) including 18/20 in maths. I got an average of 17.6/20 and 19.2/20, 18.7/20 in double maths but they still let me in. Thats far from the "Apolytirion with an average of 19 / 20 points and normally 2 or more A-levels at grade A." that they say in the website.
shootbangfire
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've got a family friend who missed her offer by one grade, but with a lot of pleading on her mum's behalf got in anyway.
heliotrope
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i believe that just under 10% or so miss their grades. oxford overoffers to compensate for this.
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by shootbangfire)
I've got a family friend who missed her offer by one grade, but with a lot of pleading on her mum's behalf got in anyway.
It's very unlikely the pleading made any difference. The subject tutor and the college admissions tutor will have decided which way to go in the couple of days between them knowing the results and the student knowing the results.

About 10% or so fail to make their grades. Of these, some, probably a bit fewer than half, will be offered the place anyway, depending on how strongly the subject tutor feels about them.

DtS
shootbangfire
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
It's very unlikely the pleading made any difference. The subject tutor and the college admissions tutor will have decided which way to go in the couple of days between them knowing the results and the student knowing the results.

About 10% or so fail to make their grades. Of these, some, probably a bit fewer than half, will be offered the place anyway, depending on how strongly the subject tutor feels about them.

DtS
If that were the case, they wouldn't have rejected her at first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads